SURVEY: Does Thailand need Submarines?

Scott

SURVEY: Does Thailand need Submarines?  

313 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Royal Thai Navy has defended its Bt22.5-billion deal to purchase two more submarines following public complaints that the money should be spent on relieving people’s suffering amid the Covid-19 crisis.  In your opinion, do you think this is a good move? 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1179241-navy-country-needs-submarine/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-15745407  

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1179629-thailand’s-submarine-purchase-cannot-be-scrapped-but-can-be-postponed/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:
We must not forget, that the Royal Navy has maintained and paid an active submarine division for almost 70 years, but has not one submersible ship. Now after all that time, they want to stop twiddling their thumps and insist on that new expensive toy. I believe that the navy should dissolve the division immediately.

more like 119 years...  and it is really only the US and the CCP that have submersible ships   the long flatbed ones that roll on roll off low draft units below the sea level

i.e. image.jpeg.0444e4b14be1b9ebdc76706e18ec1675.jpeg

• Haha 1

Is it going to be a second Thai Airways?Then it is definitely useful for certain people.

Any use for the nation,the normal Thai people?

I have not heard one Thai person say anything good about it.

• Like 2

Everyone should have a submarine.  I had a couple when I was a child and had endless hours of fun with them in the swimming pool.  I don’t see why the Thai navy should be deprived of such an enjoyable past time.  After all, it’s entirely possible that they did not have their own submarines when growing up.  This perhaps explains their current fascination with them.  

• Like 1

With as much coastline that Thailand enjoys and the problem that they encounter from pirates and smugglers (and there are more than you think or read about), I don't have a problem with the purchase of a couple of subs. Considering the future of Cambodia and the possibility of China increasing their activity in the GOT, and the sea grab by the CCP in the S.China Sea, I think purchasing submarines from the CCP was ludicrous. India, France, USA or even Russia would have been better. The CCP will probably have a backdoor to the system and take control when they want.

• Like 1

Of course we need more submarines!  I do hope that people will soon come to realize the underlying wisdom of this brilliant move.

Restrictions are about to be lifted on tourists entering from all over the world.  There will be folks pouring in from the US, Brazil, Russia, Europe, and other places now dealing with millions of Covid cases.  Obviously, the government plans to issue a new submarine to every family for purposes of self-isolation.

As it happens, my neighbourhood has no water nearby but a lot of vehicular traffic.  I am planning to order one with wheels and a horn.

5 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Definitely needs at least another 10 subs, 2 more aircraft carriers 3 more squadrons of fighter jets,  a few stealth bombers and at least 250 new tanks... just in case of... yknow... "that dangerous foreign enemy" 

They will have to stop paying out zillions on upgrading old F5's first to do all that...????