tax rebate cheque from UK

hi ,

I am about to receive a tax rebate cheque from HMRC to my address in Thailand.

Will I be able to deposit it in my Kasikorn Bank account.?

Obviously , it will be in UK pounds.

I asked them to pay it direct to my UK bank , but the only way they are willing to pay out is by cheque ..go figure!

I did stress the importance of having the cheque made out to my exact name in full with no abbreviations or title , as per my kasikornbank account name.

I haven't dealt with cheques for many years and thought that they had become obsolete 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nout said:

You can post it to your British Bank when when international mail starts again.

Immediately then ???? Airmail is operating to/from the UK.

Some UK banks will allow you to deposit using a scan of a cheque using their internet banking system, it's worth checking if your bank offers something similar.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I had a rebate a couple of years ago and HMRC also insisted on paying by cheque but in my case they sent the cheque directly to Lloyds Bank and not to my address.  Guess it's too late to have them do that now? 

I did ask them to send it to my UK bank , but they weren't willing to do so , there only option was to my present address here in Thailand.

I will look in to whether my bank will accept a scan of the cheque when it arrives , hopefully they will , as they are quite a modern progressive bank (Metro).

Thanks Crossy , wouldn't have occurred to me that..

Edited by a3tsw
add more text

As Crossy said, some UK banks allow for cheques to be scanned via their App and credited to your account without having to send the original by mail. Most have a limit, maybe £500 / £1,000.

I had a UK tax refund a few months back (£11 !!!) and I used my Halifax bank App to scan the cheque and it was credited to my account 2/3 days later. Fairly painless but lining up the scan took a bit of an effort.

Other UK banks offer that service via their Apps, not sure about Metro.

Edited by dabhand
  • Like 1

I received a refund from HMRC £1,011, 3 years ago, got them to send it to Bangkok Bank in London, [had already set up an account for transfers to my Thailand account years ago]  it was a nightmare + many phone calls,  appeared they could not put my full name and account number on the payment = was returned loads of times....   time was over 4 months before it was in my Bangkok Bank in Thailand..

October last year got informed of another refund just under £1,000  they sent it a UK cheque, took it into SCB and no problem putting into my account, fund showed in my Passbook 26 days later.

18 hours ago, Nout said:

You can post it to your British Bank when when international mail starts again.

Many UK banks will now allow you to pay cheques in by sending a picture or a scan. Worth checking (no pun intended honest!).

EDIT: Just saw also been stated further in the post. Will also agree that registering with government gateway can possibly allow direct credits to accounts for any future rebates.   

Edited by soi3eddie

hi guys ,

Thanks for all your helpful information.

most easy way would be to just pay in at my branch of kasikorn ..if they allow ..thanks ignis

2nd option to scan via my uk banks app , but doesn't look like they offer this option at my uk bank (Metro) .. will phone them up and ask ..as only info on their website states to post cheque to branch.

I receive a tax rebate cheque from HMRC every year and pay it into my Thai yellow bank account. Lots of photo copies to sign and about 200 Bht in admin fees 1 hour and 48 days later it appears in my account. Note this has to be paid into the original branch where the account was set up.

Not a rebate, but a few years ago the HMRC decided that they wished to "investigate" me, over alleged underpayment of income tax. It arose because for the last year or so before I moved to Thailand I was caring for my mother, whilst working as a part time taxi driver. They doubted the amount of income which I had declared on my last return. They asked me to arrange to visit my local HMRC office. I pointed out that I now lived in Chiang Rai, and perhaps they could visit me, although any discrepancy would have been very significantly lower than the airfare to, or from, the UK.

After a desultory correspondence over several years they rather gave up, having at no time been able to tell me exactly how much they thought i owed them.

Perhaps there is a crack team of Tax Ninjas, clad in black overalls and balaclavas. still lurking in the arrivals hall of LHR Terminal 3, ready to leap out from behind a stack of luggage trolleys and seize me if/when I should return to the UK?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Confused 1

The Thai banks require you to take the cheque to one of their international branches in Thailand or head office. The last time I had a pension cheque, the Bangkok Bank did not want to deal with it (too much paperwork such as AMLO). Fortunately because of COVID-19 the pension provider that insisted on sending a cheque, that takes a month to process, finally capitulated and now sends it by electronic transfer.

On 9/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, a3tsw said:

I did ask them to send it to my UK bank , but they weren't willing to do so , there only option was to my present address here in Thailand.

I get a rebate every year and it is credited to my UK account. There is a section on the return to enter your account details. Not about "willing", like most automated systems, once started, virtually impossible to change.

Most major Thai banks will accept a cheque, or used to, but it takes about a month to go through the system.

The last cheque I got from someone, I endorsed the back and got my son to pay it into my account.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:09 PM, Upnotover said:

I had a rebate a couple of years ago and HMRC also insisted on paying by cheque but in my case they sent the cheque directly to Lloyds Bank and not to my address.  Guess it's too late to have them do that now? 

My husband same got a letter saying he had rebate if he sent bank details within 40 days they would pay into bank .took 65 DAYS to get here???????? so to late they have sent a cheque might get it by xmas. .hope there's no expiry date on it .hope i can put into foreign currency account i have here.that's if he ever gets the cheque ????????

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I get a rebate every year and it is credited to my UK account. There is a section on the return to enter your account details. Not about "willing", like most automated systems, once started, virtually impossible to change.

Most major Thai banks will accept a cheque, or used to, but it takes about a month to go through the system.

The last cheque I got from someone, I endorsed the back and got my son to pay it into my account.

Yes this is the same as me. I am registered on the Gateway. Also as per HMRC website if you are not resident in the UK you can not submit a self-certified tax return online so for the last 8 years I have to use an accountant. £200 a year to receive mostly small rebates! The return form he completes and sends for me to sign has my UK Santander bank and it's usually in in a day or two.

I am currently preparing the application for my UK pension and am not taking up their offer to pay direct into my Krung Thai bank. The less times I have to visit my Thai bank the better, plus I would be at the mercy of the current exchange rate every month.

Can't remember the last time I got a cheque for anything.

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

Also as per HMRC website if you are not resident in the UK you can not submit a self-certified tax return online

That in fact is a bit of a grey area. I put the question to HMRC if the online submission could be used by those resident for tax purposes and got an evasive answer. I have forgotten how long I have been using the online system but didn't stop when I came here in 2008, never been a problem.

I had my pension initially paid to my Thai account, very easy and better rate than the banks, never involved any contact with the Thai bank. After brexit I decided to change to my UK account for the same reason, HSBC is only £4 a transfer, so would tend to agree with your plan to use a UK bank.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Saltire said:

Yes this is the same as me. I am registered on the Gateway. Also as per HMRC website if you are not resident in the UK you can not submit a self-certified tax return online so for the last 8 years I have to use an accountant. £200 a year to receive mostly small rebates! The return form he completes and sends for me to sign has my UK Santander bank and it's usually in in a day or two.

I am currently preparing the application for my UK pension and am not taking up their offer to pay direct into my Krung Thai bank. The less times I have to visit my Thai bank the better, plus I would be at the mercy of the current exchange rate every month.

Can't remember the last time I got a cheque for anything.

Just an afterthought on previous post. When I do a transfer from HSBC a remittance advice is automatically posted to my documents in the online banking. In the 5 years I had my pension direct from the DWP, not one iota of information.

When I came to do my marriage extension, I just downloaded the 12 remittance advice and attached them to my Thai bank statement, no questions asked.