Non-O ME conversion to 1-year Non-O for marriage today at CW

I went to CW today to convert my Non-O ME visa to a one-year Non-O for marriage and wanted to share the experience. Maybe something will help others and maybe someone can answer a question or two for me as well. 

They made us process a standard 30-day extension first, which they didn't tell us until we were called to process the conversion. So... back out with 3 or 4 more forms to fill out, including one for my wife. They checked those forms and then told us to wait at a different counter. We waited there almost 90 minutes before speaking with the Immigration officer. My wife is super organized and had triple checked all our form requirements. We knew we had all required forms for the 1 year non-O for marriage, but of course they checked every line, every picture, every line of my bank book etc and had us sign more forms including an acknowledgement form about the penalties for overstay. Once they were satisfied with our documents, they took my 1,900 baht, stamped a paper and stapled it in my passport. They told me wife we should come back on OCTOBER 8th to find out if the visa was granted. 

That's the meat of the update, as it were so here's my questions: 1 month to process the Visa? I imagine they're pretty heavily tasked about now, but I'm a bit surprised about that long of a wait. My major concern is... this extension ends on October 10th. If they do not approve the visa and the borders are still not open (quite likely IMO), I'll have to make arrangements to leave Thailand on just 48 hours notice. Am I wrong? If I'm wrong, can you explain that process to me?

Thanks everyone. I hope this helped someone. If these posts are meant for a different thread, my apologies. I'm not here on the daily so I would have missed an update like that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i don't understand the 30 day extension part, did you pay 1,900 baht twice, once for the yearly extension and once for the 30 day extension.

just  to be precise you applied for a 1 year extension based on marriage not a 1 year non o for marriage

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i don't understand the 30 day extension part, did you pay 1,900 baht twice, once for the yearly extension and once for the 30 day extension.

just  to be precise you applied for a 1 year extension based on marriage not a 1 year non o for marriage

I assume he believes that the under consideration period is a 30-day extension.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Maestro said:

You applied for a one-year extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife, the so-called marriage extension, and got a stamp in your passport informing you that your application is under consideration and requesting you to report to the immigration office again in one month. This is the standard procedure with an application for the marriage extension.

@Maestro is spot on. I am on my in total (2 different Immigration offices) 7th Extension of Stay Based on Marriage and it's always that you get with this extension the 1 month "under consideration" stamp.

The reason behind the "under consideration stamp" is that your application is not being "judged" by the local Immigration but in the local Headquarters for your Immigration Division (which in your case is CW ???? ). I live in Buriram and my application is send to Khon Kaen.

The shortest wait for the decision in all those 7 years was 22 days the longest wait was 40 which was this year (early in the year before Covid-19)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bigz said:

You will also get a home visit by immigration officers before the approval of your extension. We had to hand draw a map for them and the officer asked 2 neighbours/family members to sign as witnesses.

Not always, IMHO it depends on the Immigration Office.

We never had a home visit in all the years I am on this extension (first in Pattaya and now in Buriram) but always was prepared (after applying for the extension) for one ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

We never had a home visit in all the years I am on this extension (first in Pattaya and now in Buriram) but always was prepared (after applying for the extension) for one ????

Oh, ok. I thought it was the standard procedure. I just had the visit this week also in Buriram but I was told straight away about it when did my application. 

1 minute ago, Bigz said:

Oh, ok. I thought it was the standard procedure. I just had the visit this week also in Buriram but I was told straight away about it when did my application. 

I am on my 3rd in Buriram (did mine at main immigration not at the Football stadium) and still waiting for a home visit ????

But I think it's wise to be prepared for one, I also think it's a good idea to inform your village chief to be present (person of stature) just to be sure.

Question, was this your first extension?

15 hours ago, Bigz said:

You are right, for a first time marriage application it would be standard procedure to have either witnesses present at the application or a home visit, but like most things there can always be exceptions.

I have done a first time marriage twice, first time was witnesses and second a home visit. Have even had a home visit on a retirement extension.

16 hours ago, MJCM said:

I had my first ever home visit yesterday after applying on Wednesday.

The first time in over 10 years they have bothered.

The village head woman and 2 other villagers came and signed their form to say I lived here permanently.

They had the paperwork I submitted and checked the photos matched up.

They all spent about 1 hour chatting on the patio before leaving.

• Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone for your responses, the correction/clarification and answering my questions. I really appreciate it. 

At CW, no one mentioned to me or my wife anything about a home visit. I live in a condo in Bang Sue not too far from the new train station, so I suppose my wife's family or the Juristic Person office here would have to be the witnesses to my living here full-time. I'm just grateful to know that the chance of being denied the extension is so low. 

One other question... now that they've checked the paperwork, including the bank book and letter from the bank showing the properly-seasoned 400k baht, do I need to leave that money there until the extension is approved, or am I now free to use that money? 

Thanks again to everyone. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PiMi said:

One other question... now that they've checked the paperwork, including the bank book and letter from the bank showing the properly-seasoned 400k baht, do I need to leave that money there until the extension is approved, or am I now free to use that money? 

You need to keep the 400k baht in the bank until after you return to get your one year extension stamp.

They will want copies of your updated bank book when you return.

• Thanks 1