Can anyone suggests a good free windows photo editing program?

23 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Hi all. Just after a relatively easy to use, free photo editing program. Most important things to me are Saturation, contrast, brightness, color, clarity, crop etc. Have a few of these in paint but not really good enough for me. I'm using Windows 10. Not after difficult photo shop type programs. Just after the basics. Windows 10. Any help appreciated

ASDsee free, works well on any windows platform, very basic but easy.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:47 AM, lopburi3 said:

Picasa3 still works fine for me and is simple to use and a good file system.  Has not been supported for last 5 years but still available for download and being used by many.

Always liked Picasa but stopped using it when it was storing all your photos on the cloud. Is this still the case?

2 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Always liked Picasa but stopped using it when it was storing all your photos on the cloud. Is this still the case?

That was a Google photos function as I recall - Picasa is normally used to work with files on your computer and returns them there.  I seldom use these days for more than annual immigration photo so not an expert but seems to work fine for such and making prints. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 11:26 AM, jvs said:

Not looking to highjack this thread but i have been looking for a photo editing app.

What i need is to be able to place two(or more) pictures on my screen at the same time in order to compare them.

Flowers and bird pictures mostly.

try www.canva.com

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 9:38 AM, Kenny202 said:

I've tried Gimp and it does look like its fully featured but a lot of fussing around too. I used Aperture in Mac, it was simple and brilliant. Could edit multiple images in the one screen.  If I could get something like that for Windows would be perfect.

Gimp is like a deluxe, multi-featured Swiss-army knife when all you need is a simple paring knife.

10 hours ago, Dart12 said:

Favorite free tool for actual photo edits at the moment. Photoshop EXPRESS (NOT PHOTOSHOP, Photoshop is too techy for me)
(I use the iphone version, but there is desktop too) https://www.adobe.com/photoshop/online/photo-editing.html

For easy and free Graphic design:  https://www.canva.com/

i've been using lightroom free for mobile for a while, it's good but the screen small... i've just tried this online version and it's pretty good.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, KhunBENQ said:

PaintNET

https://www.getpaint.net/

It's far more powerful than the super simple MS Paint or the like but still easy to learn for Windows users. 

I can't seem to move or delete the text individually after I have exited it and come back the next day.

Is there any easy way to do that?

In PAINT 3D, I can move or delete the text anytime in the future after saving it.

For example, I have 3 texts on same screen but I only want to move or delete one text across the screen while leaving the other 2 texts alone.

It seems such as simple task is difficult in Paint.net

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, notrub said:

Adobe express is a basic free editing program with fewer features than their full on one that is sold.  

How does it compare to Paint.net? Which is easier to use?

I have trouble moving or deleting texts after saving it and coming back in the future.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

How does it compare to Paint.net? Which is easier to use?

I have trouble moving or deleting texts after saving it and coming back in the future.

could you put up an Image here, as is; of what you are having troubles with??

- first an original image before text added, plus another of the same image that has the text appended onto it...

we could then apply Editors to it, and then one can decide between editors That way!! 

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:34 AM, EricTh said:

For example, I have 3 texts on same screen but I only want to move or delete one text across the screen while leaving the other 2 texts alone.

I am not familiar with Paint 3D, so it's a bit difficult to compare.

But generally: Paint.NET is a raster graphic ("pixel") programm.

You can create three textfields.

After saving they are "images" like the rest.

No "object" to select/edit and move.

You can only select a rectangular around and move/delete etc.

BUT: Paint.NET can handle layers.

So you can separate an underlying image from text/labels etc. and only work on the specific layer.

Requires saving in Paint.NET format "pdn" while working on it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am not familiar with Paint 3D, so it's a bit difficult to compare.

But generally: Paint.NET is a raster graphic ("pixel") programm.

You can create three textfields.

After saving they are "images" like the rest.

No "object" to select/edit and move.

You can only select a rectangular around and move/delete etc.

BUT: Paint.NET can handle layers.

So you can separate an underlying image from text/labels etc. and only work on the specific layer.

Requires saving in Paint.NET format "pdn" while working on it.

I instead Save any modified/separated image - in a new project instance manually. 

Doing it that way also lets you maintain the original X-Y coordinates with at in the Master Image 

Don;y ebven worry about the .pdn format... just keep using as jpg all the way though...

Why I keep away from doing .pdn, is that with jpg etc I have easy tranportability of the completed image, as a whole, without needing to go back in and CopyPaste out the image to the (forums)

Which Forums accept .pdn files?

19 minutes ago, transam said:

I am not having much luck finding a free passport photo program that actually works "for me".....???? 

If you have a Canon printer a free program called "Easy Photo Print" comes with it. 

It lets you print just about any size photo from any size paper. I use it for my visa and passport photos.

I think there is also an Epson version and possibly other versions that might work with your set up.

One.jpg.355515ae1108fab257c8e059d05228ef.jpgTwo.jpg.af540b1f882e210ac05a25e8fa78c301.jpgThree.jpg.5243ae03568d2c3e768dc4951d80198f.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

If you have a Canon printer a free program called "Easy Photo Print" comes with it. 

It lets you print just about any size photo from any size paper. I use it for my visa and passport photos.

I think there is also an Epson version and possibly other versions that might work with your set up.

One.jpg.355515ae1108fab257c8e059d05228ef.jpgTwo.jpg.af540b1f882e210ac05a25e8fa78c301.jpgThree.jpg.5243ae03568d2c3e768dc4951d80198f.jpg

I have an HP printer (I have HP sauce too), a good idea to look for a program at HP....:thumbsup:

• Haha 1