20 killed after train collides with bus in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

I'm reminded of a policeman in Australia who was giving a road safety talk. He said when it comes to a contest between a car and a tree, the tree almost always wins.

So it is with trains and buses. Apparently the bus driver did not know that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RobU said:

We don't use seatbelts on buses in the UK why should they do it in Thailand?

In the UK city buses don't - coaches like this do.

Even though they are fitted, cool passengers don't use them. Anyone with an once of common sense will use them, the rest wait for the warnings and reluctantly slowly belt up until only the most stupid are left.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

where a train collided with a passengers bus

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A bus heading to a Buddhist temple collided with a train

Confusing to say the least

As they were both moving it doesn't make any difference. Personally I would say the train collided with the bus as it hit the side of the bus but when the bus toppled over it then collided with the train.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ericthai said:

I dont thing this video is of this accident.  

The bus from the accident was split into two according to the article, the bus in this video is pushed around.

The roof came off but it was otherwise in one piece. 

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Just watched the video. Absolutely no excuse. Thai driver error once again.

Case closed, nothing to learn, no changes to be made as it has never happened before and it will never happen again. 

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

There is a Youtube video of the accident, probably from a CCTV surveillance camera, in which it seems like there are warning lights, but I cannot see on the video if they were signalling...

This accident was every bit of the drivers fault. He/she never stop to even check to see if a train was coming. Buses should be required to stop at all railway crossing regardless. 

Anyway, what does it matter. There’s no safety regulations in this country to prevent accidents. Don’t even know why they have highway police. Now that they got a new HTIC, all he wants them to do is get a report from the hospital. 

life to the Thai is considered expendable. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Only one thing to say...which is generally not specifically...the Thai engineman don't hit the horn enough when approaching level crossings, if at all.

This is how it should be done. 

Nothing to do with the size or speed of the train.  All about giving motorists plenty of warning.

Edited by Grumpy John
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Prathueng Yookassem, the district chief officer, told Thailand’s PBS TV that: “It was raining, perhaps the driver did not see the train.”

That's a change from the usual "the brakes didn't work". 

He said the province will install speed bumps and barriers as well as cut down trees near the crossing to improve visibility."

No-one has the slightest idea of "safety first"....and no-one cares..!

Why does it take such a waste of life for leaders to act?

Very sad   on my visits to Thailand   the one thing that amazed me was the  lack of intelligent driving  skills

In  fact   no driving skills  really

I have  full  semi  licence  and full big  bike  licence  and a full international licence

However  no way I would ever drive  or hire a  vehicle in Thailand  

Good   Taxi are  cheap   and only  way to travel if  they go too fast  ask them to slow  they  will  

Thai,s  are   the worst  drivers I have ever seen

All the  money on  Subs  and  Generals  Toys

None on real driver  eductaion  or  change the  driving culture  in Thailand 

So many  deaths   no body  seems  to  care ?

Good Luck Thailand

16 minutes ago, Venom said:

Better late then never. In the meantime 20 dead factory workers have paid the ultimate price for total incompetence. 

"Governor Maitree said the crossing has an alarm but does no barrier to block traffic when a train is coming. He said the province will install speed bumps and barriers as well as cut down trees near the crossing to improve visibility."

I was gonna comment on this, too. Lines of sight are never considered. A neighbor at the corner of my soi built a new wall. I asked them to make it straight rather than follow the curve of the road, in order to give us (them included) a sight line down the road when pulling out. They looked at me like I had three heads. They have to build over every square inch of their property. The common good never enters into it. 

Likewise overgrown trees and shrubs that hide stop signs and other warnings. Sure, Governor, trim the trees now. That will bring those 20 lives back. It never occurred to him to get those road supervisors off their fat a**es to do maintenance proactively. 

Edited by LawrenceN
Spelling
  • Like 1