CCTV shows patient being roughly handled by nurse while undergoing CT Scan

webfact

CCTV shows patient being roughly handled by nurse while undergoing CT Scan

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook said that social media could not accept the behavior of a nurse who was caught on CCTV manhandling a patient undergoing a CT Scan.

A woman on the site of "Jay Moi v+" (เจ้ม้อยv+ ) posted footage that showed the male patient moving about because of a brain hemorrhage.

The male nurse was seen slapping and hitting them in an effort to get them to remain still.

The patient was apparently unconscious after an accident and the poster wanted the relatives to be made aware.

The media dubbed the orderly "cruel" while the poster called into question the ethical treatment of a patient and said that the hospital should offer an explanation for what happened. 

It happened at a hospital in Phetchabun, said Sanook.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-02

• Sad 8

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Looks to me like the patient is in extreme pain or fear and they are trying to control the situation  and force was necessary to do so but that's just my opinion .

So a patient that's in pain gets a slap for good measure?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

For a CT scan , the patient should not move at all ... why did they not sedate him before ?

With a brain hemorrage getting somebody sedated might be the last time there's any sign of life. It's a situation that requires speed, not sure why there weren't adequate restraints on the scan table.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

Thai nurses. There was one at a school I used to teach at. She used to get angry at the kids when they came to see her. One day, a kid bumped his head and had a big lump on his forehead. The nurse tried to push the lump back in with her thumb.

Consider possible  reasons that a nurse may be working in a school and not a hospital. Qualified but below par to me working in a hospital setting. My son always complains about our school nurse. Apparently putting on  a plaster is a challenge lol

"Continuous infusion of sedative and opioid agents is generally considered to protect the injured brain in the acute phase (first 24 h up to 48 h), especially in comatose NICU patients with severe injury and abnormal head computed tomography, to prevent pain, anxiety and agitation and to enable mechanical ventilation."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4857238/

They already seem to know that the patient has a brain hemorrhage, this might be a second CT to determine possible increased bleeding or  pre surgical intervention?  Sedatives have pros/cons and perhaps they had strong reasons not to use it on this patient. In that case, they should have used restraints, tie a patient with rope and slapping is definetly the wrong approach. 

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Use of "them":

2. MAINLY SPOKEN, used instead of ‘him or her’, especially when you are referring back to a word such as ‘everyone’, ‘someone’, or ‘anyone’

"Someone phoned, but I told them to call back later."

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/them

"The patient was moving, so he tried to restrain them".

Absolutely normal and acceptable to refer to an individual as "them" in the appropriate grammatical context.

Yes, I like WorGeordie looked hard at this in the original post, it didn't look right in print, after looking at it three times I decided that although it was sometimes used in speech I couldn't recall seeing it in text before. It also occurred to me that it sounded if it might have started in the USA. The Collins English dictionary confirms that it is now used in speech and believes this usage started in the USA in the last century and was used to replace, "themselves". Although I cannot think of an occasion when I have used "themselves".

The example you gave regarding the telephone indicates that all the information wasn't being passed on to the intended recipient as the use of him or her would provide info on the sex of the caller.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:51 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

Surely, the patient isn't a prison inmate, but his ankles seem to be tied up. Slapping a patient with brain hemorrhage??? 

Revoke the nurses licence, tie him up and send him to prison. 

i was in hospital a few months ago not the most gentle of nurses to say the least..the first night i was in a ward with about 20 people the guy opposite me had his hands and feet tied to the bed ..next morning i managed to get a private room ... wasn't nice to see..

• Like 1