Attack at protest in Jomtien: "Ken" charged with assault after headbutting critical Russian

webfact

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What makes you think it's illegal for foreigners to attend political gatherings in Thailand?  I'd love to see this law.

Good point, in all my years here, I've never known a foreigner to be prosecuted for this. The kids in Hong Kong are helping the Thai youth in their fight for democracy. 

Just now, Neeranam said:

Good point, in all my years here, I've never known a foreigner to be prosecuted for this. The kids in Hong Kong are helping the Thai youth in their fight for democracy. 

I'm pretty sure there is no such law.  There were plenty of foreigners participating on both sides in 2010 and during other red/yellow protests.  Not to be recommended, but principled and brave.

Not in the Thai press? Does TV count? I was going to tell my Thai wife about it, but she already knew. She doesn't read English language press or watch English language TV. Or any other language other than Thai, for that matter.

27 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm pretty sure there is no such law.  There were plenty of foreigners participating on both sides in 2010 and during other red/yellow protests.  Not to be recommended, but principled and brave.

it is illegal (and extremely barmy)  for foreigners to get involved with Thai protests; and some of those who were identified back in 2010 were quietly advised not to come back...........or else.

Read the advise from your embassy if you want to know how to behave during protests in Thailand. ie STAY AT HOME - much the same for any country.

What makes me really sick is stupid idiots blaming Pattaya again or blaming Redshirts again. Pattaya is a place, it does not move about or stagger around drunk touching-up and abusing Thai women and wondering why they got beat-up. Its the people who come here that cause the trouble. Like the many very, very unpopular Russians who only too frequently cause problems here.

The Redshirts did not initiate the violence in 2010 but only too many were were murdered on the orders of the very same politician who later arranged for  the the army  (who admitted colluding with Yellow shirts) to illegibly depose the legitimate, democratically elected government.  So no doubt any Thai (especially one identified as an ex Redshirt) participating in a protest in this day and age is really on a knife edge and strung out because they know that they are taking terrible risks to their life and liberty and do not need a big mouth Russian expressing his pathetic views in front of his 1/2 Thai daughter; who is clinging on because she knows that he is only an 1/4 inch (6.5 mm) from getting shot and is bravely trying to protect the stupid fool. 

I don't condone the violence, but even anybody who has half a brain (even your average Pattaya Russian visitor

) could anticipate it; especially someone who apparently thinks he knows enough to express his stupid views to a Thai protestor.

This is Thailand and its no good pontificating about how people should behave in a civilized manner in the middle of a protest that is more likely to see them dragged off to jail than anything else (I suppose we could look to Russia or the US for good examples, 5,5,5). 

No doubt the Russian is nursing a sore nose, but I wonder how many of the protesters are free right now, and can look forward to staying that way for long?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

it is illegal for farangs to attend political gathers in Thailand. 

No, it is not illegal. There is no law against attending a political gathering, as long as the gathering itself is legal.

2 minutes ago, MiKT said:

it is illegal (and extremely barmy)  for foreigners to get involved with Thai protests

I do not know where you are getting this nonsense from but it is not illegal for any foreigners to attend a political gathering or protest. There is no law that forbids this in the kingdom. As long as the political gathering or protest is legal then it is not a problem. It is only when people engage in illegal activities (and attendance, once again, is not one of them) that charges may be brought.

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

He will be punished because he behaved like a rabid soi dog. 

But, sadly, the bail was set to a token amount of 10000 Bahts while one or two hundred thousand would have been more suitable for this kind of savage attack.

He did invite the thai guy to have a go. $10,000AUD is a bit over the top. 

Rule 13a for foreigner living in Thailand: If you want to go and slag off and wind up democracy protesters who are p1ssed off after 6 years of no democracy at a democracy rally either make sure you can fight, wear a helmet or be a good runner. 

The Russian was looking for trouble and he found it. 
Kenny explains it all  in this video. 

• Like 1

Rule number one foreigners should stay away from Thai politics especially when there's young children with you the Russian retard ????????????   open his big fat mouth   ????????????      in front of his young daughter to a legit protester who was talking about Thailand issues ,    nothing to do with foreign  politics.

stay well clear from Thailand political situation let Thailand people run their own country ????????????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MiKT said:

it is illegal (and extremely barmy)  for foreigners to get involved with Thai protests; and some of those who were identified back in 2010 were quietly advised not to come back...........or else.

Read the advise from your embassy if you want to know how to behave during protests in Thailand. ie STAY AT HOME - much the same for any country.

What makes me really sick is stupid idiots blaming Pattaya again or blaming Redshirts again. Pattaya is a place, it does not move about or stagger around drunk touching-up and abusing Thai women and wondering why they got beat-up. Its the people who come here that cause the trouble. Like the many very, very unpopular Russians who only too frequently cause problems here.

The Redshirts did not initiate the violence in 2010 but only too many were were murdered on the orders of the very same politician who later arranged for  the the army  (who admitted colluding with Yellow shirts) to illegibly depose the legitimate, democratically elected government.  So no doubt any Thai (especially one identified as an ex Redshirt) participating in a protest in this day and age is really on a knife edge and strung out because they know that they are taking terrible risks to their life and liberty and do not need a big mouth Russian expressing his pathetic views in front of his 1/2 Thai daughter; who is clinging on because she knows that he is only an 1/4 inch (6.5 mm) from getting shot and is bravely trying to protect the stupid fool. 

I don't condone the violence, but even anybody who has half a brain (even your average Pattaya Russian visitor

) could anticipate it; especially someone who apparently thinks he knows enough to express his stupid views to a Thai protestor.

This is Thailand and its no good pontificating about how people should behave in a civilized manner in the middle of a protest that is more likely to see them dragged off to jail than anything else (I suppose we could look to Russia or the US for good examples, 5,5,5). 

No doubt the Russian is nursing a sore nose, but I wonder how many of the protesters are free right now, and can look forward to staying that way for long?

In a civilised society people should be able to challenge someone else's viewpoint. I know that's expecting too much, but I can always live in hope. But I won't hold my breath on it happening, same as I look forward one day to a truly 'peaceful' demonstration.

I don't have a great deal of respect for people that want to grab a megaphone and shout at the world whilst standing in the middle of the road...'peacefully'.

It's only a short hop to total anarchy. If I am  expected  to listen to someone (or a groups) grievances then I would expect them to listen to my counter without resorting to violence.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the protesters marched on the police station to get Ken released

"Give us democracy!"

"Give us freedom of expression!"

"Give us human rights!"

"No member of the elite should be beyond criticism!"

"Release this man without charge, even though he violently assaulted another human being!"

Kind of makes you question their moral values and whether they actually mean anything they say about human rights or freedom, or if they don't give two <deleted>s about it but think it will get them what they want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MiKT said:

Yes, that is the advice that the British embassy hands out but I somehow think that they had something more serious in mind than half-a-dozen people sitting on a straw mat.