Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

webfact

55 minutes ago, moe666 said:

post police on the loose

Read my post they wanted enough money to live in Thailand for 90 days, depending on ones spending habits 12,000 dollars for 90 days isn't much.

So 120,000 baht is not a alot of money in your book for a long term tourist to spend for 30 days. Really, you definitely must live the high life.  I know many retired folks that live on 30k to 40k baht a month and still travel.  Hell with 500k THB tgat would last them well over a year.  If you only come for 60 to 90 days, most folks can rent out a condo or an AirBnB for a cheap amount and, still have money to travel around on.  Personally, I live on just over 120k a month, but that's a condo payment, food, electricity, water, gas,and transportation for 2 of us plus the kids when they are with us. When I first starting coming I would stay for 6 weeks each time and only spend between 90 and 120k, and that was with traveling and doing Muay Thai, while hitting the beach every day and still going out.

5 hours ago, Falcon said:

Taking in to account the lack of tourists here allowed entry and the future lack of tourists because of both financial problems and / or Thailand’s rediculous ideas on how to restart the tourist trade, or put more simply, how to get a hold of foreigners money, I am expecting them to announce that they are going to charge and entry fee to the country, just like Bhutan who charge up to $250 per day just to be in the country. Ideal for Thailand that...

Bhutan

However, it's also considered to be one of the most expensive trips in the world that you can embark upon. The government has placed a minimum fee of around $200 USD per day per person in low season and $250 USD per day per person during high season for visitors to Bhutan

“This covers accommodation, transport within Bhutan, a tourist guide, food and non-alcoholic drinks, entry fee, a $65 “tourism levy” or “sustainable development fee (SDF)” (earlier known as “royalty” to the government), and the fee for the tourist’s visa.

There is an additional surcharge of $40 for tourists travelling solo, and $30 for each tourist in a group of two.”

source...  

https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/explained-what-bhutans-new-tourism-fee-will-mean-for-indian-travellers-6252722/

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Not everyone is a decrepit old miser who has to have someone lead them by the hand to the toilet and constantly worry about paying up for hip replacements. Many a youngster has made their fortune or carved out a comfortable life for themselves by throwing caution to the winds and taking a chance on life. It takes a real gloomy sourpuss with no imagination left in his life to condemn others who have a dream and are young enough to try and live it out.

I agree whole heartedly agree and at the age of 43 I hope it is many yeas before Iam an old decepit miser worrying about paying for a hip replacement..... In alll honesty if the hip is ok enough to climb over a balcony rail I reckon thats how I will sort that situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I wonder if there are even more Thais in the US evading US immigration laws and working illegally? Be interesting to compare the numbers. Can't see too many Americans stealing Thai jobs, avoiding withholding taxes, getting free 1-12 education, here.

considering the robust immigration control in the US I don't see how that would be possible, just my opinion.. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

I suspect that this is the first of many new requirements of this military government which is positioning itself for when the covid pandemic has passed.

This government no longer wants the western casual tourist and dont care about the short term financial and social harm caused by their new policies to the general Thai people who previously relied on foreign tourists for a living.

Myanmar is looking good now.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paul2121 said:

Absolutely crazy to expect every tourist to have 500,000 Baht in there account 

real 'tourists' will utilize the voa. Real 'tourists' live in another country and are coming for a holiday and presumably have a job they have to return to. Living on the border of the US  for 40 years I entered frequently, their main concern? did I have a job back in Canada? which would necessitate my return. Most countries have a similar concern. They don't want a bunch of foreigners running around doing whatever they deem necessary to keep living there including breaking laws and  offering bribes. I have friends (retired) that apply for a tourist visa every year, they usually spend 3 months. They are real long stay tourists, in my home country we call them snowbirds. They are not wealthy by any standards but will have absolutely no problem providing this requirement. But as I say, these are real tourists not folks trying to circumvent laws to live in another country..  

• Confused 4

6 hours ago, Christopher84 said:

I guess the 1,2,3 star hotels and all the Motels based on tourism can just close down. 

right as with all the restrictions and <deleted> only the wealthy  will come and they dont stay in 1,2,3 star hotels or spend money on the street vendors

whats all this talk on here saying we will go to cambodia or vietnam?they are just as bad as thailand and not letting anyone in.

in actual fact they are worse. at least thailand is letting in a very small minority the other two aren't cuz they are gripped by irrational fear of a virus that for the most of us is no worse than a heavy cold

• Like 2