Extension with Mortgage

Why don't you read your mortgage documents?

I think as long as you do not compromise the structural integrity of the building you should be okay. 

For example, if you are moving an internal, non-bearing wall to, or removing a non-bearing external wall and adding-on an extension without interfering with the footings, columns or beams you would not harm the actual structure.

Moving a footing, column or beam you would, or at least could be harming the structure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why don't you read your mortgage documents?

I think as long as you do not compromise the structural integrity of the building you should be okay. 

For example, if you are moving an internal, non-bearing wall to, or removing a non-bearing external wall and adding-on an extension without interfering with the footings, columns or beams you would not harm the actual structure.

Moving a footing, column or beam you would, or at least could be harming the structure. 

I will, if I can find them. I can't remember anything like that when I scanned them last.

Not interfering with any main structures so should be OK, as the experienced builder said. 

I have French windows taking up most of  the wall, just adding about 33% onto the room. 

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Artben said:

Since you are expanding it should increase the value and they will be happy since the house is the collateral for the loan.  I would not worry about it.

With should being the key word. Unfortunately, often owner "upgrades" actually decrease the value of the property, sometimes significantly.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

With should being the key word. Unfortunately, often owner "upgrades" actually decrease the value of the property, sometimes significantly.  

I think you might have a point, I've seen some exciting Thai-style "upgrades"...:whistling:

• Haha 1