Moving from Thailand to Mexico - best prepaid debit card?

I only have a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand that I will be closing. So to avoid carrying too much cash I am trying to find the best prepaid debit card for use in Mexico. 
There are many options online or maybe I could get a prepaid card in Thailand?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Great place to live in Mexico is the town next to the Belize Border And easy drive to Cancun many places around there are just great living I’m jealous  I lived in Belize about four or five years immigration was so easy going into Mexico So easy here no problems

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

You would have more protection if you can arrange or have a credit card.

One of the big CC companies can arrange the movement of any existing monies.

Watch the local banks they can be mercenary

Best of Luck

Actually I have a credit card through Bangkok Bank. It required a 20,000 baht deposit. I was going to return it before I leave. But maybe worth hanging on to in Mexico.

I will stay away from local banks. I only plan to use a larger bank in Mexico city.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Since you are moving, open a Mexican bank account and get  debit card - see BanaMex

Get a debit Mastercard from opening a TravelWise account?

I would need to be in Mexico to open a bank account.

TravelWise might work best and they will have the debit card in Mexican Peso, which is good.

6 hours ago, 1cosmo said:

I only have a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand that I will be closing. So to avoid carrying too much cash I am trying to find the best prepaid debit card for use in Mexico. 
There are many options online or maybe I could get a prepaid card in Thailand?

Any advice is much appreciated.

No advice to offer other than to wish you all the very best! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1cosmo said:

Actually I have a credit card through Bangkok Bank. It required a 20,000 baht deposit. I was going to return it before I leave. But maybe worth hanging on to in Mexico.

I will stay away from local banks. I only plan to use a larger bank in Mexico city.

Thanks.

Keep in mind (and unless something has changed) when you have a "secured credit card" like you have you will probably not immediately get back your Bt20K locked deposit until maybe 30-45 days after card cancellation. 

Thai banks do this just in case late arriving charges show-up after card cancellation....charges made before you cancelled the card but for some reason the charge did not complete processing/posting until after card cancellation.

• Like 1

I feel sure that you meant a pre-paid credit card, not debit card. I sorted out pre-paid "Revolut" cards for my kids when they were travelling. The plus point was obviously that the only risk you are exposed to is the amount on the card, but they did have some good features - You can lock the card instantly via your mobile app if you lose, or misplace it and then if you find it again you can unlock it instantly too. Top ups are also instant from anyone who has the app, so in my particular case I could just top them up when they needed money. One of the major bad points was that they couldn't be used in a lot of ATMs to withdraw cash, especially in Thailand although they didn't have many issues in other Asian countries. It may be worth you checking on the ATM situation in Mexico (probably not an issue). I have recently moved to transferring money to Thailand via transferwise, as their exchange rate is good, their fees are low and they transfer the money very quickly, however although I have never used their pre-paid credit card I would consider them if they are as good as their transfer service.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

I feel sure that you meant a pre-paid credit card, not debit card. I sorted out pre-paid "Revolut" cards for my kids when they were travelling. The plus point was obviously that the only risk you are exposed to is the amount on the card, but they did have some good features - You can lock the card instantly via your mobile app if you lose, or misplace it and then if you find it again you can unlock it instantly too. Top ups are also instant from anyone who has the app, so in my particular case I could just top them up when they needed money. One of the major bad points was that they couldn't be used in a lot of ATMs to withdraw cash, especially in Thailand although they didn't have many issues in other Asian countries. It may be worth you checking on the ATM situation in Mexico (probably not an issue). I have recently moved to transferring money to Thailand via transferwise, as their exchange rate is good, their fees are low and they transfer the money very quickly, however although I have never used their pre-paid credit card I would consider them if they are as good as their transfer service.

Yep, a pre-paid credit card is what I meant. I will probably end up just keeping my Bangkok Bank savings account open. Sounds right what you said "plus point was obviously that the only risk you are exposed to is the amount on the card". It worries me having most of my money in a online savings account. I plan to carry the allowable amount of cash on the plane and open a bank account asap in Mexico.

Also, keep in mind when it comes to closing a Thai bank acct, and possibly a Thai credit card with associated locked deposit, to where you want to withdraw the remaining funds you will have to do this "in person."   Not like in the western countries where you can call/write to have a bank acct closed and the remaining funds sent to you via check or online transfer. 

Been no shortage of ThaiVisa posts over the years where people left Thailand with significant chunks of money in their Thai bank acct, decided they would not be returning to Thailand, and then found themselves in the situation of having a hard time.....or no way...to withdraw the remaining funds especially if their Thai bank debit card didn't work, they couldn't do an online transfer, etc.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1cosmo said:

Yep, a pre-paid credit card is what I meant. I will probably end up just keeping my Bangkok Bank savings account open. Sounds right what you said "plus point was obviously that the only risk you are exposed to is the amount on the card". It worries me having most of my money in a online savings account. I plan to carry the allowable amount of cash on the plane and open a bank account asap in Mexico.

How can you have a pre-paid CREDIT card? Credit means you are BORROWING. The cards issued by Bangkok Bank and similar are really DEBIT cards as you have to put the money on the card first, in the bank. 

32 minutes ago, Pib said:

Also, keep in mind when it comes to closing a Thai bank acct, and possibly a Thai credit card with associated locked deposit, to where you want to withdraw the remaining funds you will have to do this "in person."   Not like in the western countries where you can call/write to have a bank acct closed and the remaining funds sent to you via check or online transfer. 

Been no shortage of ThaiVisa posts over the years where people left Thailand with significant chunks of money in their Thai bank acct, decided they would not be returning to Thailand, and then found themselves in the situation of having a hard time.....or no way...to withdraw the remaining funds especially if their Thai bank debit card didn't work, they couldn't do an online transfer, etc.   

True

i recomand to not close the Thai bank account (It's always a lot of papers, few problems and can be costly)

but empty it while you are still in Thailand, just let 10 to 50 bahts in it, the bank will close it automatically after one year, or even before, no trouble and no cost for you

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

Thai banks general policy for acct closure is after 12 months of no "owner-generated" transactions (i.e., withdrawal, deposit, transfer, bill payment, etc) "and" the acct balance drops below Bt2,000 (must meet both criteria) then the bank will start applying a Bt50/month maintenance fee and then once the balance reaches zero the acct is closed.

Please note I said "owner-generated" transactions.....transactions generated by the bank like interest payment, debit card annual fee, etc., do not count as owner-generated transactions.

• Like 1

what a glorius idea i am also jealous .let us kow how you get on with the crumpet in monteray

I was just in Oaxaca last summer. I agree with the others to stay put. Oaxaca is a reasonably stable region minus the protests and there is a thriving expat community in case you need to support each other.

Otherwise you must be bored out of your mind. Even at full swing Oaxaca City is good for only a few days.

I can almost bet you with 99% assurance you won't be better off anyplace else right now.

Edited by 3NUMBAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I was thinking exactly that. I think its crazy to leave much money in Thailand if you're moving far away. Drain it!

If you have cryptocurrency, these are good - https://crypto.com/en/cards.html

I get 5% cashback, which is great, also paid Spotify/Netflix and I can use airport lounges free. 

Actually, got 10% from Tesco Lotus recently, up to 50 quid back a month. 

Also, free ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world and some more...! 

Edited by Neeranam

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How can you have a pre-paid CREDIT card? Credit means you are BORROWING. The cards issued by Bangkok Bank and similar are really DEBIT cards as you have to put the money on the card first, in the bank. 

Why need for that real credit card ? As you have to block same amount ,Thai  debit cards can  use them so for online order payments  , and also the Kasikorn  Webcards i used and recognized for online payments as ccard , so why blocking your money as debit cards working fine whiteout blocking any money...

Skrill.com  has also pre paid credit cards (Mastercard ), U.K & Ireland based (Ireland because brexit solution ) including transfer services and other 

https://www.skrill.com/en/transfer-money/international-money-transfers/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Why need for that real credit card ? As you have to block same amount ,Thai  debit cards can  use them so for online order payments  , and also the Kasikorn  Webcards i used and recognized for online payments as ccard , so why blocking your money as debit cards working fine whiteout blocking any money...

Skrill.com  has also pre paid credit cards (Mastercard ), U.K & Ireland based (Ireland because brexit solution ) including transfer services and other 

https://www.skrill.com/en/transfer-money/international-money-transfers/

Are these available in Thailand?