Accident reduction or accident waiting to happen? New road confuses netizens

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

It appears that those on the local road have to give way to those exiting the main road. 

Signs will be erected making it all clear. 

Signs are not enough .

This road looks like it was designed to reduce the population , not the accidents .

Need to put traffic lights , at least ...

• Like 2

I strongly disagree with all other posts here, so far.

This new design definitely will make it much safer to leave the main road (red arrows), as it slows down to opposite traffic (yellow arrows).

And additonally, in the first step, the red car has to watch ONLY the yellow car, and only after passing this point, it will have to watch ONLY the other red cars at the outer lane to join this lane.

Without the new design, the driver has to watch the traffic from BOTH the opposite and the own direction, both approaching possibly at high speed. THIS "conventional Thai design" is a recipe for a disaster, rather than the new design. The new design is a huge improvement. 

Solutions with flyovers or tunnels might be better, though, but also way more expensive. 

Edited by Flying Saucage

This is what happens when you give 1st grade kids a chance to design a road.....

We all know roundabouts don't work here....give way signs don't work here.....this unbelievable piece of "architecture" will never work. But, it's world first!

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Outrageously dangerous.... 

One of the biggest accident hotspots in Thailand is U-Turns. How can officials not have learned that any junction which requires one party to give way to another is a recipe for death. 

This road design creates the perfect storm for head-on and T-Bone collisions.

The design itself is highly idiotic in any country, to expect such a junction to be safe in Thailand is idiocy at its height. 

What U-turn? There's no U-turns in the plan mentioned and that's what's MISSING here.

Here's where the U-turn should be (yellow circle) and if they do that, it will be perfect.

e5.jpg.2424bf93203e0a82a5a2130a3aed59b9.jpg

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

And additonally, in the first step, the red car has to watch ONLY the yellow car, and only after passing this point, it will have to watch ONLY the other red cars at the outer lane to join this lane.

Arai-wah? Who will need to watch what now? This is Thailand. They watch their smartphones.

Edited by NanLaew

36 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Signs are not enough .

This road looks like it was designed to reduce the population , not the accidents .

Need to put traffic lights , at least ...

And pedestrian crossings! Don't forget at least four zebra crossings.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Don't forget at least four zebra crossings.

Actually that could work, 4 zebra's tethered to a post you could unhook and use as cover to get to the other side. Might give them reason to stop; the damage to their car/bike hitting a zebra compared to a human.

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Not confusing at all. If you have a red car you follow the red arrow, yellow cars follow the yellow arrows. If your car is slightly green with a red license plate, guess what the slightly green arrows with red lettering are for you.

If your car has a different color, then you can't use this road!

image.jpg

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Confused by the "chicanery"? 

Amazing Thailand - reminded me of the famous (or should I say infamous) Plough Roundabout (also known as the "Magic Roundabout") in Hemel Hempstead (UK) where I used to live in 1973 (photo). There was a similar one in Swindon (UK). 

Pin on My travels...

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

Thailand has their U-Turns Of Death to cull the herds.  It seems that there needs to be a U-Turn every kilometre and a half on every Thai highway.  Lord Buddha only knows how many people are killed each year in those human threshers where trucks especially will pull out right in front of oncoming highway traffic. 

Now something new.  Five lanes with a criss-cross chicane.  It looks like my electric model car raceway I had as a kid.  You'd never had to wait long for a real doozie of a crack-up at the intersections of my model racetrack.  Now Thailand makes one for real.  :thumbsup: 
Five lanes of criss-cross chicane - let's call this set-up "Slaughter-House Five"

No doubt the humor at these intersections will be as dark as a good Kurt Vonnegut novel.

11 hours ago, johng said:

The more I look at the photo above the crazier it appears...just totally and utterly no,no,no and no !!!!

as they can't do roundabouts then a tunnel or fly over is the only sane option.

Only "Thai" solutions are permitted.

Yours sound like horrible, foreign, at worst "farang" (and well proven) solutions.

They would be a national humiliation.

The killing will carry on as normal.

21 minutes ago, Almer said:

My guess, people go round it but the wrong way

Have a traffic light controlled roundabout in downtown Ayutthaya, it has a  “ straight on “ arrow and a “ right turn “ arrow. Have seen a couple of cars trying to turn right before the roundabout  . As it is light controlled there is no oncoming traffic and they usually make it round the wrong way to turn right !!

Why not have just have traffic lights I hear you ask ??

Well there’s a big Chedi on it .

E3DA8BA0-E162-4811-AF53-D533E2C9457F.thumb.jpeg.48da290fc6e8dbc8f9a5c79551cd7f95.jpeg

Usually see a few puzzled faces when they get a green turn right arrow “ hmmm , can I really turn right here ?? “

All good fun

This is what happens when a transportation engineer wakes up from a 3 day drunken bender, drops some speed, and heads to the office. 

Just another idea that seems bad at first but upon further reflection seems monumentally stupid. 

This is guaranteed to be a death trap. It will decrease traffic on that highway though. I would avoid it if I lived in that area. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

they usually make it round the wrong way to turn right !!

They should paint large direction arrows on the road to remind the roundabout newbies how things are supposed to work.

Also the roundabout sign  and instruction in Thai  saying that vehicles on the roundabout go first

or  "give way to the right"

test.jpg.62628f5f6f1dc9d1b32b1f7b83bcd58f.jpg