How are the bars, restaurants, agogos, massage shops, gentleman clubs and any business doing during covid?

scubascuba3

56 minutes ago, rott said:

Leaver you seem to be the only one who thinks it has anything to do with insurance. 

Can we move on now. 

Sounds like "insurance" to me.  

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/thailand-to-introduce-300-baht-tourism-fee-to-insure-foreign-visitors-manage-tourist-destinations

"Phiphat, who’s expecting around 10 million people to visit Thailand this year, says the fee will ensure anyone who gets sick or is injured can receive medical treatment. According to a report in the Bangkok Post, 34 baht of the 300 baht fee will go towards insurance coverage." 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It depends which interpretation you prefer. 

"It is intended to help recoup some of the money lost by Thai hospitals due to foreign tourists not paying hospital bills." (not verbatim) Currently p5 Thailand  News TVF

Anyone who thinks that payment will cover all and any hospital costs they incur deserves the <deleted> storm they will find themselves in. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rott said:

It depends which interpretation you prefer. 

"It is intended to help recoup some of the money lost by Thai hospitals due to foreign tourists not paying hospital bills." (not verbatim) Currently p5 Thailand  News TVF

Anyone who thinks that payment will cover all and any hospital costs they incur deserves the <deleted> storm they will find themselves in. 

I agree, but that's not going to stop the inevitable bad new story because the word "insurance" was used, when it's will be revealed it's not insurance. 

I think they were trying to justify the tax to the public, but made a big error using the word insurance.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, champers said:

Traditional massge shops being allowed to re-open in Bangkok but sex massage shops must remain closed. Not sure how this would work; nobody displays a price list for sextras. 

Most of the ones in Pattaya got the 'Health Massage' signs a long time ago. The blatant sex ones are the Body Massage shops, the rest likely will open.... there are a few in The Middle Ground up Sukhumvit 22 and 24  Bangkok but I expect they would open too. 

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Most of the ones in Pattaya got the 'Health Massage' signs a long time ago. The blatant sex ones are the Body Massage shops, the rest likely will open.... there are a few in The Middle Ground up Sukhumvit 22 and 24  Bangkok but I expect they would open too. 

Indeed, a Sign says it all ..5555

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Soi made in Thailand is closed to pedestrians, apparently bar owners have to remove their stuff by Monday, development planned as mentioned before

Jeez, not another mess and big ugly building.....

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Jeez, not another mess and big ugly building.....

The thing is hotels are built because people like going to bars etc, if the number of bars goes down you don't need the hotels. Same if they closed down the sex industry, might as well close down most of the hotels and other tourist businesses 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The thing is hotels are built because people like going to bars etc, if the number of bars goes down you don't need the hotels. Same if they closed down the sex industry, might as well close down most of the hotels and other tourist businesses 

Up market hotels seems to be a recent fad.... putting the squeeze on Soi 6 these days. I don't see most of the guests of Amari and the like being interested in bars and tarts. Unless they are convention attendees....

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Up market hotels seems to be a recent fad.... putting the squeeze on Soi 6 these days. I don't see most of the guests of Amari and the like being interested in bars and tarts. Unless they are convention attendees....

'Up market hotels' as you say have their own supply of tarts...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Perhaps Amari and the like will be forced to lower their prices, thus attracting the monger clientele.  ????

I doubt that.... not seen many fantastic bargains being offered by those chains. I know The Amari has reopened already, The Expats Club is scheduled in one of their ballrooms next week.  Can't imagine the overheads of a place like that if customers are but a handful. 

My question to you is, does it matter to you personally?

Ignoring the whole Covid thing and economic impact thing, are you able to get what you need, or has it become a hassle or difficulty that has put you off or maybe thinking of moving?

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

i guess they will be having a high vacancy rate for the next 18 months then.  

I was having a browse through Agoda only yesterday... there are some offers about, Down from 6000+ to 2500  per night. Still too much for me.... 

48 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was having a browse through Agoda only yesterday... there are some offers about, Down from 6000+ to 2500  per night. Still too much for me.... 

On 2/5/2021 at 6:21 PM, Leaver said:

Perhaps Amari and the like will be forced to lower their prices, thus attracting the monger clientele.  ????

If anyone thinks the likes of the Amari or the Hilton will ever be offering 500 baht a nights rooms......Well......Please lay-off the kool-aid.....Better chance of winning the lottery..... 

8 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

If anyone thinks the likes of the Amari or the Hilton will ever be offering 500 baht a nights rooms......Well......Please lay-off the kool-aid.....Better chance of winning the lottery..... 

In Bangkok The Rembrandt has a good offer below 1000,  so I don't see why other hotels cannot do similar, they certainly are not filling the places up at their current price point. The Areca is offering a good price in Pattaya... I would like to stay at The Amari, Hilton or Dusit, if they were to get just below 2000 I would give them a try. 

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

In Bangkok The Rembrandt has a good offer below 1000,  so I don't see why other hotels cannot do similar, they certainly are not filling the places up at their current price point. The Areca is offering a good price in Pattaya... I would like to stay at The Amari, Hilton or Dusit, if they were to get just below 2000 I would give them a try. 

Kind of lost touch with which of the big Pattaya Hotels are actually open, with the shutdown and then the announcement of them being allowed to close so workers could claim some income relief. Until the domestic weekenders enjoying subsidised stimulus deals from the govermment return the situation remains really bleak for the hotels.  I guess the Bangkok hotels get at least some business related trade,

12 hours ago, redwood1 said:

500 baht is unrealistic, but 1000 to 1500 baht would not surprise me.  

8 hours ago, kinyara said:

I guess the Bangkok hotels get at least some business related trade,

The Amari seemed to have a few customers at weekends between the lockdowns a few months ago. The ballrooms were booked for various functions..... 

• Like 1