How are the bars, restaurants, agogos, massage shops, gentleman clubs and any business doing during covid?

scubascuba3

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Just to clarify, I'm talking Bangkok....  

Just to clarify, thread is about Pattaya not Bangkok...so it's misleading when you post all the soi's around you have shop after shop shutters closed, which is not Pattaya

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Just to clarify, I'm talking Bangkok ....  I blame both .. lack of customers and greedy landlords,  however if you don't have any customers it doesn't matter if the landlord drops the rent 90% ,   your still losing.

I had a nice restaurant,  thai/chinese landlord would not offer any discount so as to continue through for another year, hence shut shop. 

I'm in Bangkok as well. 

So you are likely money ahead by closing, yes? 

16 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Just to clarify, thread is about Pattaya not Bangkok...so it's misleading when you post all the soi's around you have shop after shop shutters closed, which is not Pattaya

Plenty of shops in Bangkok vacant before the covid debacle. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Are you talking about Pattaya? I just did 4 months there and honestly it was no different to any pre-covid trip 

(I dIdn't do soi 6-8 or walking street pre-covid so no diference)

I assure you Walking St is distinctly different now compared to pre Covid. 

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

Just to clarify, I'm talking Bangkok ....  I blame both .. lack of customers and greedy landlords,  however if you don't have any customers it doesn't matter if the landlord drops the rent 90% ,   your still losing.

I had a nice restaurant,  thai/chinese landlord would not offer any discount so as to continue through for another year, hence shut shop. 

Ok, this is why you sound bitter - understood now.

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's getting better, Friday was much better than 2 weeks ago, about 60+ attractive girls in Fahrenheit 

How's the new dope shop at start of walking street...should be booming to get people in the mood ????

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's getting better, Friday was much better than 2 weeks ago, about 60+ attractive girls in Fahrenheit 

Thx... always liked Fahrenheit... 

But are there enough alternative venues to make a night on WS worth it? I hear it is still a bit of an assault course to Walk around. 

(So much more variety in the vicinity around Buakhao!)

On 11/22/2020 at 12:12 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I used to have 2 hour massages every day, then down to 1, now rarely, used to pay 100+50 tip, yesterday 80+20, I guess it's better than nothing. Main reason I have less is they would always find an injury and make it worse

wow   !   ......   you big spender you ...     Lol

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2022 at 11:45 AM, PJ71 said:

Where's our resident doom monger @Leaver now that pattaya is thriving again - lol.

Working up the courage to ask his boss if he is allowed 2 weeks holiday to Thailand now all the travel restrictions have been lifted ?

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:38 AM, Olmate said:

Give us a bit of current 'anecdotal' then! Did  soipothole  flood today? 

Can't remeber the weather last Friday, but there has been morning storms over the last week.  Not a cloud in the sky today though.  

I did see that huge black plastic convoluted pipe on Second Road.  Not sure if it's to transport water or hold water, but maybe drainage will improve here.   

On 6/25/2022 at 3:02 AM, Yellowtail said:

Please do not make up things about what I say.

As I have been clear on, any rent can make or break any business, regardless of the nationality of the landlord.  

Are you now saying Thai landlords can, and often do, have a negative effect on businesses here? 

On 6/27/2022 at 4:45 AM, PJ71 said:

Where's our resident doom monger @Leaver now that pattaya is thriving again - lol.

Thriving compared to what?  Thriving for who?  You have never said.

Compared to 2019?

Compared to lock down?

Compared to testing and SHA?

Compared to low seasons pre covid? 

Where's the Russians and Chinese? 

I spoke to a Thai girl I know who works in reception of a large hotel in Central Pattaya the other day.  I asked her what is the current occupancy rate of her hotel.  We did the math and it was around 13%. 

Is Pattaya rebounding? Yes.  Is Pattaya "thriving?"  In my opinion, no, not yet.  Next high season will be interesting. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Did you not get the memo, Russia did an unprovoked attack on Ukraine so is hated by most of the World, while China locks up cities of 10 million for a few covid cases and bans their citizens from leaving China

Not relevant to Thailand, they aren't going to anywhere

A Pattaya without Russians and the Chinese flag groups is a much better place...like it was back in 2007ish

So Pattaya is "thriving" WITHOUT its biggest demographic of tourists, pre covid.

The millions of Chinese tourists that were coming to Pattaya pre covid were "not relevant" to the tourism industry here.  ????

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So Pattaya is "thriving" WITHOUT its biggest demographic of tourists, pre covid.

The millions of Chinese tourists that were coming to Pattaya pre covid were "not relevant" to the tourism industry here.  ????

Why do you care so much, the Chinese tour groups staying in Chinese owned hotels added nothing to Pattaya. And again, China blocks its citizens from leaving so not a Pattaya issue

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Why do you care so much, the Chinese tour groups staying in Chinese owned hotels added nothing to Pattaya. And again, China blocks its citizens from leaving so not a Pattaya issue

I don't care.  Merely pointing out that the statement "Pattaya is thriving" despite its biggest tourism market, the Chinese, being absent, is a questionable statement. 

In any case, once again, "thriving" compared to what / when?

I agree that zero baht tourists add very little, but there is a flow on effect in the form of employment, fresh produce, fuel, taxes etc etc that benefits the wider Pattaya / Thailand economy.

Yes, China blocks its citizens from travel, does this not create an issue in Pattaya / Thailand's tourism industry?  The Chinese were Thailand';s biggest tourism market by a long way.  Are you suggesting their absence leaves no void at all? 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Are you now saying Thai landlords can, and often do, have a negative effect on businesses here? 

Again you are compelled to make things up as you are (apparently) unable to formulate an actual argument. I have never said landlords do not have a negative effect on businesses here, you just pulled that out of your....

As I far as I know, any cost a business anywhere incurs has a negative affect on that business. 

Is it your position that in other countries/areas that landlords do not compel their tenants to pay rent, or that paying that rent does not have a negative impact on the business? 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 5:45 AM, PJ71 said:

He's busy being an expert in a financial thread - with as much knowledge of the subject as he's shown here on bars etc.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I have never said landlords do not have a negative effect on businesses here,

Glad we cleared that up.. 

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is it your position that in other countries/areas that landlords do not compel their tenants to pay rent, or that paying that rent does not have a negative impact on the business? 

Rent is a cost of doing business in any country, but many rents here increase to unrealistic levels which the property itself simply can not support.  Eg. small beer bars that sit only 12 customers and are 40,000 baht or more a month rent.  Do the math to see how many beers would have to be sold, every single hour of operation, just to cover the rent. 

Many Thai landlords have cashed in over the years from flipping leases to "dreamers."  Do you deny this? 

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Plenty of clouds today, where exactly on 2nd road is the huge black pipe?

IMG_20220628_151147.jpg

At the time of my post, there was only blue sky overhead. 

The huge black plastic pipe was not there yesterday, but it was where they are doing road works between The Avenue and Kiss restaurant. 

When I say huge, I mean you could walk through it.  I am sure another member would have seen it also. 

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

At the time of my post, there was only blue sky overhead. 

The huge black plastic pipe was not there yesterday, but it was where they are doing road works between The Avenue and Kiss restaurant. 

When I say huge, I mean you could walk through it.  I am sure another member would have seen it also. 

take a photo next time, i haven't seen that one, there is a big one on 2nd road between Pattaya Tai and Pratumnak 

I went to the large Outlet Mall at the top of Thepprasit this morning, a well stocked out place, more staff than customers, in fact virtually no customers, staff looked depressed, could barely be bothered to look up when i walked past, anyway it's worth a look there for sports and maybe general clothes and shoes

• Like 1