The fate of Thai expats

snoop1130

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

here, we are part of their country we contribute a lot mainly financially as we are not allowed to contribute in other ways, some have been here over 20 years yet they still have to deal with the visa daily changing hurdles, as you say, we should be considered locals, not expats not some type of dangerous species

On the contrary, we may be an endangered species being driven to extinction by unreasoning/uncaring bigotry/fear. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

To be fair as a moaner I moan because I feel, with very little effort, things could be so much better....not for expats particularly...but for Thais.

The moaning is an expression of frustration...not one of dislike for Thais or Thailand.

+1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So you are from Bangkok along with all the pollution. My guess is you are a "1year tourist" with work visa? So where do you call home?? I mean where do say you are "resident"? I expect you have a home outside Thailand? Kindly answer that. 

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

"The fate of Thai expats" lays in the hands of the Thai government, and always has, not in the hands of their Thai wife, as many think is the case, after they have handed over a portion of their wealth.  

As I have said in the past, you could be married to a Thai national here, have 2 children, a house, some land, a shop, a car, and a couple of motorbikes, but you have no more rights than a first time tourists to Thailand entering on a 30 visa exemption stamp. 

A fair pathway to residency does not exist here.

That means, all of the above emotional ties and financial ties here can mean mothing, next year, with a simple stroke of the pen in Bangkok, and you have to leave. 

So many expats see that 1 year tourist visa in their passport, and that's all it really is, as giving them a right to reside here, when it's simply not the case.

So, as we all know, only put into Thailand what you can afford to walk away from, completely, and ALWAYS have a Plan B for a day when you may not be able to live in Thailand anymore.   

You could also apply that “ fear” of having your residency cancelled to other countries as well.

Australia has cancelled the citizenship of certain dual citizenship residents after they were convicted of certain crimes, it would only take a further stroke of the pen to apply it to others.

The question is
Why would they ?

just as 

Why would the Thai Government ?

Me thinks you worry to much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"Yes, you can check exactly when our last entry into Thailand date was, in my case 12 February 2020."

My goodness so long you have been here already? Crazy. But let's talk again when you have been living here for almost 30 years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I moan because I feel, with very little effort, things could be so much better....not for expats particularly...but for Thais.

Of course, you need a basic understanding of the people and cultural differences before you try and make things better for someone of another culture... what do you want for them? More cheeseburgers, less rice? More serious, less laughing? 

Just maybe not everyone wants for themselves what you think they should want for themselves... 

From what I see a poor Thai is happier than most middle and even upper middle class people in my Western Home country... why would I think it a good idea to change that? 

Can you imagine Mexican fruit pickers in USA complaining about Americans - 'they would be much happier if they picked their own fruit'  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Just maybe not everyone wants for themselves what you think they should want for themselves... 

From what I see a poor Thai is happier than most middle and even upper middle class people in my Western Home country... why would I think it a good idea to change that? 

A very good point well made......I often tell my stressed, overworked, relatively wealthy friends back home how incredibly poor and happy my Thai relatives are.

I guess the only thing I could reasonably justify imposing on them would be improved health care and health care facilities......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, swissie said:

One can love Thailand "maak maak". But unfortunately obove text is still as valid as it was 20 years ago. This text should be framed an put on every Farangs nightstand. (Right next to Wifey's picture).

Wifey's picture????

How she looked 20 years ago.

On 12/11/2020 at 10:23 AM, snoop1130 said:

And when asked at the moment “Where do you come from?” We answer firmly “Bangkok!”

I say to those moaning foreigners that you read about, if you don’t like the place then leave

??? If someone asks me where I stay I tell them , if they ask where I come from I don’t say the place I’m living at I say the country I come from .

As for the don’t like it leave comment ???? 

Seems someone thinks they are special from reading the article , till I got to this section above and stopped reading !