What modifications won’t pass owner transfer inspection?

Manu97416

What modifications won’t pass owner transfer inspection?
out of this list -

1. handlebar grips (aftermarket)

2. Brake clutch lever (aftermarket) 

3. akrapovic replica with db killer / silencer 

4. Frame slider 

5. oil cap / brake fluid cap 

6. Crankcase strap (photo attached)

7.brake cable organizer (photo attached)

8. Tail tidy / fender eliminator (license plate holder) 

thanks 

221CF6C5-569C-4A59-947B-1C0278EF50DD.jpeg

325BDFDE-B209-4C43-9E94-031461DDB29E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

#3 and #8 would not pass a yearly inspection but for a transfer they basically do nothing other than take a rubbing of the VIN.

I hope this is true haha... I’ll find out Friday I guess, if they have a problem will it just be a fine or so I have to take it off and come back?

48 minutes ago, Manu97416 said:

I hope this is true haha... I’ll find out Friday I guess, if they have a problem will it just be a fine or so I have to take it off and come back?

If they have a problem with it you will have to mount parts which are acceptable (the stock parts) before you can transfer it.

I would also see only 3 and 8 as a potential problem, the other stuff shouldn't matter.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Manu97416 said:

1. handlebar grips (aftermarket)

2. Brake clutch lever (aftermarket) 

3. akrapovic replica with db killer / silencer 

4. Frame slider 

5. oil cap / brake fluid cap 

6. Crankcase strap (photo attached)

7.brake cable organizer (photo attached)

8. Tail tidy / fender eliminator (license plate holder) 

No trouble with any that bling as long as your engine number and as said VIN frame number is the same as in your green book or copy of green book your OK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agusts said:

Perhaps doesn't apply to you but they also check bike's dominant color, if changed a lot and it does not compare with whatever it says in the green book they don't accept it...!

It seems that is even a problem with owing and riding a bike in Thailand.

My gf told me one guy in her family resprayed his bike in a different color and it seems the police regularly made problems for him about that.

Please don't ask me how they knew it was not the original color. I think it was a popular bike like a Kawasaki which was only available in green or in green.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:34 PM, Techno Viking said:

#3 and #8 would not pass a yearly inspection but for a transfer they basically do nothing other than take a rubbing of the VIN.

It could be a problem but it must not be a problem. My little Raider 150 has an exhaust which is obviously not original. I let the shop where I bought it do the yearly tax trip. I never had any problem.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:37 PM, jackdd said:

If they have a problem with it you will have to mount parts which are acceptable (the stock parts) before you can transfer it.

I would also see only 3 and 8 as a potential problem, the other stuff shouldn't matter.

+1 to this. Also if the indicators have blue bulbs / blue lenses, that's a no-no. You don't say where transfer will happen: Bangkok may be stricter than up-country.

• Like 1

The paint problem can be fixed.If you paint a different color save the recept from your paint guy. I added green to my PCX on the old red panels. I had to go back to the dealer who did the paint and get a reciept from them no problem changed on the green book.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:34 PM, Techno Viking said:

There are always places who let most vehicles pass. Not so at the Land Transport Department. 

You only have to look out for this sign. With a checkup there, you'll be fine with most mentioned changes. 

For an owner change they do not check the vehicle, only the frame and eventually the engine number. 

sign to check.jpg

Edited by teacherclaire

20 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

There are always places who let most vehicles pass. Not so at the Land Transport Department. 

You only have to look out for this sign. With a checkup there, you'll be fine with most mentioned changes. 

For an owner change they do not check the vehicle, only the frame and eventually the engine number. 

sign to check.jpg

yeah that may fly there in the boondocks of Nakorn Knowwhere but not down here in the big smoke.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

yeah that may fly there in the boondocks of Nakorn Knowwhere but not down here in the big smoke.

"Big smoke" is a great description of the capital city.

But even there are such places that let vehicles through.

If one doesn't do it, try another one. 200 baht might be helpful,. before you have to put your OEM exhaust on and only god knows what. 

Not so the Land Transport departments. 

On 12/18/2020 at 11:02 AM, Agusts said:

Perhaps doesn't apply to you but they also check bike's dominant color, if changed a lot and it does not compare with whatever it says in the green book they don't accept it...!

That's not a problem either you just take the green book along to DLT and they change the colour it just has to be looked at again. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

That's not a problem either you just take the green book along to DLT and they change the colour it just has to be looked at again. 

if the bike an book are both legal.

I found out the hard way trying to change colour in book on a GSXR1000 I had, that bike got scrapped.

32 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

sign to check.jpg

Not sure about that some DLT's are OK the slip on exhaust on my bike is not OEM, and taking it to our local DTL there was no problem, Engine No. & Frame number was all they checked and colour with the book.

I guess some DLT are strict our local one was nothing but helpful, my bike has loads of non OEM stuff on the bike and also have not been taxed for nearly 7 years and was the wrong colour. ????

17 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

if the bike an book are both legal.

I found out the hard way trying to change colour in book on a GSXR1000 I had, that bike got scrapped.

Well of course the bike has to be legal. 

My CB400 had a book and a number plate. 

The A4 copy produced of the book was altered from a 100cc wave to a 400cc the colour was the same though. ????

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well of course the bike has to be legal. 

My CB400 had a book and a number plate. 

The A4 copy produced of the book was altered from a 100cc wave to a 400cc the colour was the same though. ????

mine had a "modified" book from a 100cc Suzuki scooter... looked 100% legit but yeah no dice, prolly did not help the bike looked like it just came of the MotoGP track !!

The motor lives on in a go (death) kart, not sure where the rest of the bike is.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

There need to be some sort of document/paperwork from a shop of some kind to say they changed the color from X to Y...

Semi-official document of kind, I'm sure it can be made up so that they can keep a copy on file and use that mentioned color there in the green book (that should also correspond with what color is on the bike now)...

If one just turned up and said I painted my bike blue please change my green book , it doesn't work..., my friend wanted to change some main panels from his old bike, and was told need that document or else it's a no go...

Edited by Agusts

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

There need to be some sort of document/paperwork from a shop of some kind to say they changed the color from X to Y...

Semi-official document of kind, I'm sure it can be made up so that they can keep a copy on file and use that mentioned color there in the green book (that should also correspond with what color is on the bike now)...

If one just turned up and said I painted my bike blue please change my green book , it doesn't work..., my friend wanted to change some main panels from his old bike, and was told need that document or else it's a no go...

Well that's not the case in my experience, what you reckon it not what happen to me, I don't know why your friend or the DLT he used wouldn't do the change in the book it was no big deal for me to do it all..

The only papers needed were usual forms signed by the previous owner and their details etc for transfer of ownership.

When I got the bike I bought up and running after it was just parked up unused for nearly 7 years I took it to our DLT office.

When the bike was inspected the Eng.No. was checked, the Vin.No. was checked.

They saw the colour was not same as in the book so that was changed to the colour it was in a new book.

They changed name of course and the bike got a new number plate of the province.

• Like 1