How have Thailand and Cambodia kept Covid cases so low?

webfact

2 hours ago, sungod said:

offers quite alot if they cough in your face, thats why doctors and nurses wear them.

yet the "incredible"  Thai govt have already stated these  things do very  little, so  which is it,  some people  on here say the govt have done a  great job,  ok well lets  run with that, then the govt stated a while  back  those face shields  on their own like  in the photo are  not adequate  protection, so which is  it with the govt,  you cant pick and choose the bits you  like.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Would like to see some random testing at the village level, esp. when regular influenza/pneumonia/lower resp. are identified.

Would like to see some excess death figures.

Viral Pneumonia has been a common illness and a seasonal problem in Thailand for decades longer than farangs have been pitching their tents here. I would offer that the average Thai doctor would be really good at diagnosing it correctly. Tests for Covid-19 are administered when they are confident that they aren't dealing with VP. Otherwise, if misdiagnosed or untested people were allowed to cough and wheeze on their away back home with a packet of paracetamols, we would be seeing the same sort of infection and death rates as elsewhere.

Thailand's current excess death figures are freely available but here's a snapshot from earlier in the year when it was kicking off badly.

THxsdeath.jpg.62937ef5ec62da8632643bfa236a08ed.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

Here's another good read on Thailand's response and reporting.

https://www.eastasiaforum.org/2020/08/06/lifting-the-veil-on-thailands-covid-19-success-story/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bodga said:

Which  offers  almost zero  protection

1) A facemask that offers (almost?) Zero protection and

2) Less deaths in 10 months than in one long weekend due to road accidents.....

What's your conclusion?

i believe China Thailand Cambodia Vietnam Laos have low numbers of  covid.

Not believe the government are doing good Jobs maybe it's have other reason.

But for the final conclusion thereis missing one number in statistiks.

We hear from the US where lot of foreigners are living that black people black  getting quickly with more than white, we hear that Hispanic getting more COvIT compared to white. The white people getting a lot of COvIT. but one thing we never hear is if Chinese compared to other groups of population get more or less sick then the rest I believe they get a lot less sick.......

us count would be very helpful bcs of high percentage number of chinese population

No number  to find anywhere .,think by yourself now

Edited by lapamita
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Manufacture!!!

Nobody said they will use it in Thailand.

Ummmm....

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/thailand-signs-supply-deals-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-74425352

Thailand, Philippines sign for AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

Thailand has signed a deal to procure 26 million doses of a trial coronavirus vaccine developed by pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca in collaboration with Oxford University

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bodga said:

yet the "incredible"  Thai govt have already stated these  things do very  little, so  which is it,  some people  on here say the govt have done a  great job,  ok well lets  run with that, then the govt stated a while  back  those face shields  on their own like  in the photo are  not adequate  protection, so which is  it with the govt,  you cant pick and choose the bits you  like.

I dont think they offer the wearer any significant protection, rather others from the wearer. Its the  'I protect you, you protect me' scenario.

Here's what the NHS (UK) say: Face shieldsA face shield/visor provides a barrier against respiratory droplets between the wearer andany person closer than 2m. Visors need to fit properly and be worn properly. A visor mustcover your forehead, extend below your chin, and wrap around the sides of your face.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/south/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/09/4A-COVID_Info_Sheet_Masks_and_Face_Coverings_V1.0.pdf

It is indeed interesting to compare between buddhist countries and christian countries in dealing

with this virus.

i personally called it from the beginning THE CHRISTIAN PANDEMIC. the WHO and UN are all , acctually,

christian organizations, who think and promote christian sceince and policies.

i was sure allready in april that they will find a vaccinations right before xmas, and so it happaned.

not because , of course, jesus is the savor, but because this is how christians think.

Thailand and other buddhist countries , on the other hand, think very different. i listened to a very

intelligent man called general  Prayuth Chan-ocha, who said in february that it is not the virus which

is dangerous but the fear from it and the whole noise around it, and knew what thailand will do.

Thailand had to close down according to WHO instructions or even commands, but did not go

into hysteric mass testing of the poplation. no testing means no "positive"  cases, and no pressure to

control the virus and isolate each and every positive. the virus is acctually not so deadly, and did not

create extra deaths, not even in the USA . to conclude all that, this virus is real but the pandemic is fake.

the whole world could look like thailand if the WHO and drugs companies did not push for mass testing, 

control madness and aventually, the jesus christ global save the world vaccination, another madness

yet to be revealed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Every country, even ones who test, are under reporting CV19 numbers.

If the virus was raging here, you'd know it.  Hospitals would be full, temporary morgues would be setup, etc.  P.S. That's not happening.  So it's got nothing to do with testing.  And nothing to do with under reporting.

Try again.

It's not happening any where.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Does anyone actually have any data showing hospital occupancy now AND in previous years so we can compare? I've heard the hospitals overflowing story over and over again but I was never able to confirm this for myself.

For example  the highest number that we recorded in Colorado USA (pop. 5.8 million) was 2,500 which was about 20% of beds occupied by COVID patients. From my research average US hospital occupancy is about 65% so that brings us to 85% MAX and that was in November and already falling.

Prof Anucha Apisarnthanarak, chief of the infectious diseases division at Thammasat University, said the country’s success was down to clear communication by health experts, a willingness to allow scientists to lead the response and an effective lockdown, which was followed by the public.

Unlike the very mixed messages from the Health Minister, who clearly isn't a health expert. I still think it' more luck than judgement that the start of the lockdown, with thousands gathered at bus stations, for example, didn't produce an exponential rise in cases. And the lockdown was quite draconian, making it difficult to do anythiing other than to follow the rules, though gatherings at people's houses were still commonplace.

Over recent weeks, a small cluster of cases has emerged, linked to people travelling undetected over the Myanmar border, prompting fears the virus could spread among migrant workers, who may be reluctant to report symptoms if they have not crossed into the country through an official route.

They've made this sound like it's a migrant problem when it is in fact Thais that are the cause of these cases. Must have been sourced from a Government authority.

Notwithtanding my comments, they have done a good job in controlling the virus, though the article only briefly touches on the devastation to the tourist industry and the economy in general.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

It is indeed interesting to compare between buddhist countries and christian countries in dealing

with this virus.

i personally called it from the beginning THE CHRISTIAN PANDEMIC. the WHO and UN are all , acctually,

christian organizations, who think and promote christian sceince and policies.

i was sure allready in april that they will find a vaccinations right before xmas, and so it happaned.

not because , of course, jesus is the savor, but because this is how christians think.

Thailand and other buddhist countries , on the other hand, think very different. i listened to a very

intelligent man called general  Prayuth Chan-ocha, who said in february that it is not the virus which

is dangerous but the fear from it and the whole noise around it, and knew what thailand will do.

Thailand had to close down according to WHO instructions or even commands, but did not go

into hysteric mass testing of the poplation. no testing means no "positive"  cases, and no pressure to

control the virus and isolate each and every positive. the virus is acctually not so deadly, and did not

create extra deaths, not even in the USA . to conclude all that, this virus is real but the pandemic is fake.

the whole world could look like thailand if the WHO and drugs companies did not push for mass testing, 

control madness and aventually, the jesus christ global save the world vaccination, another madness

yet to be revealed.

Wow...where do you get your news?  Stunning how some fall for the fake news.

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Look at my link.  Only 20% who have CV19 are asymptomatic.  That means 80% get sick.  Guess what?  That would overload the hospitals here.  Guess what?  They're not overloaded.  Unlike Spain who knew, without testing, they were overwhelmed with CV19.

@mtls2005 laid it out nicely above. Nothing to do with testing.  That's a debunked dog whistle for covid deniers.

80 % getting sick doesnt neccesarily mean they all go to the hospital mild conditions dont warrent going to the hospital so thats why  hospitals arent overloaded maybe you need to revise your figures.  People will self medicate as they think its the flu or a bad cold even just a sore throat...i mean seriously if you had a sore throat would you think oh my ive got covid and have to go to the hospital ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tonysilly said:

To bad the Virus can not take care of the Thai and Cambodian drivers. 1,400 people die every year on the road.  Who is scary? Virus or Thai drivers??

1400 lol that would be a good number in comparison to the 12,000 plus that died in thailand alone in 2019. And sadly you cant really compare the virus to driving as there may eventually be a cure for the virus but no cure for bad driving.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Every country, even ones who test, are under reporting CV19 numbers.

If the virus was raging here, you'd know it.  Hospitals would be full, temporary morgues would be setup, etc.  P.S. That's not happening.  So it's got nothing to do with testing.  And nothing to do with under reporting.

Try again.

I would add to this that the all causes death rate in Thailand has actually declined during Covid.  I guess the decline in death from all causes may be down due to people not wanting to risk Covid by visiting a hospital.  However, the numbers themselves are intended to reflect all deaths regardless of location.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 4:56 AM, Curt1591 said:

As far has keeping the numbers down being authoritarian, I would say the West's more into big numbers for that very reason. It has allowed government officials to arbitrarily shut down businesses, and "legitimize" more control over their citizens. 

That's it  .....  a reason behind each side's action , very political  ......

pure manipulation to reach a certain objective ......

6% pure C-19 deaths  ..... the rest compromised by other sickness .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thailand has 7 international airports. The USA has 149. Pretty easy to shut down your country when it’s as easy as controlling incoming passengers in only 7 locations. Does anyone think the most diverse economy on the planet was ever going to completely shut down 149 airports?... incidentally suicides are up 25% in Thailand this year.  ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lujanit said:

Don't test the wider population, can't report positives.

No autopsies performed on the elderly who die, can't report positives.

Report people who die from respiratory illness as having died from viral pneumonia.

While it might seem as Thailand has done a good job of managing covid the figures which are reported are grossly understated (same as deaths on roads, only report people who are dead at the scene). This is a function of all authoritarian 'governments'.

Any solid proof to back up those wild claims? 

• Like 2

Could be attributable to a more resilient immune system due to less sterile environment, dietary factors, absence of nanny state elements (i.e. none of those wild dashing to the emergency room and waking up half of the healthcare staff at 2 AM to treat a pinprick). Cambodia once conducted universal BCG childhood vaccination which could suggest some form of correlation explaining the lower incidence:

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/international/vietnam-study-effectiveness-tuberculosis-vaccine-against-virus

In short, it's all about a natural resolve to fight invading pathogens.

• Like 1