Samut Sakhon Covid-19 cases shoot up by another 146 - total now 694

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

the fact remains that when we really need a competent health minister, instead we get an appointed fool, gifted that job by agreeing to receive it in a forming coalition govt; ZERO to do with either relevant background or even intelligence

Sounds similar to the British Cabinet!

Screwed is when you’re depending on another country’s vaccine to vaccinate your own citizens...can you say mercy?

I am less concern about some isolated cluster in one province than having nebulous plans on trying to coordinate a vaccination roll out when you have zero control over that vaccine...things look very bleak for the next 6 months in thailand - think treading water vs improving situation under an organized plan...

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Wonder if they had been recently smuggled in as cheap labour?

How can the infection rate be so high in any one particular group? 

I could be mistaken on this but i think they came on fishing boats and then infected the migrant camps. Corrections and info welcome!

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Where have they put these 694 new cases? Thailand had a policy of hospitalizing every positive case even if asymptomatic, is that still the case, if so then hospitals are soon going to be overwhelmed.

A lot of them are "migrant workers". I won't be shocked if they are sent back to where they came from in a bus. Thais in general do not like these " migrant workers". 

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well, that's about 400 less than yesterday.

Is there something wrong with your math? Yesterday J. F. reported 'over 500 cases', today he says there are 694 cases. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1197574-thailand-reports-biggest-coronavirus-surge-over-500-cases-samut-sakhon-placed-in-to-lockdown/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

The daily ‘recorded’ cases will gradually drop each day now until it hits zero like last time, then Thailand will be declared covid free again 

unfortunately it will have to rise for the next 5 days as the incubation period takes over then it may start to dip, but who the hell knows what will happen in reality TIT.  Tomorrow it could all be called fake news and Little fattie Prawit will be arresting everyone who reported on it.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Looks like we are just getting started.

Prepare for more lockdowns and an alcohol free Christmas and New Year period I would suggest.

Earlier reports of panic buying and a rush on bulk beer purchases at Makro are totally unfounded. I only bought five cases instead of my usual two this morning.

The other ten cases I bought this afternoon.

• Haha 2

Total infections in Samut Sakhon Covid-19 outbreak hit 689

By The Nation

800_b18586c384e7439.jpg?v=1608475752

The number of people infected after the latest Covid-19 outbreak in Samut Sakhon province has risen to 689.

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) on Sunday assuaged public fears by laying out its plan of action to contain and tackle the spread.

The first patient of this outbreak was a Thai woman who has never gone out of the country, meaning the source of the virus must have come from others, a DDC official said.

As of Sunday evening, 689 patients were found linked to the shrimp market in Samut Sakhon. Most of them were migrant workers in the market. The latest information found nine patients in other provinces -- Bangkok (2), Nakhon Pathom (2), Samut Prakan (3), Suphanburi and Ratchaburi one each -- Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the DDC, said.

131580007_3540336452687037_2775114336242

Thousands of Burmese workers Including some Thai people waiting in line for COVID-19 screening Inside the Thai Union Market, Samut Sakhon Province.

Patients in other provinces were customers of the shrimp market, which provincial health officers are now investigating for close contact.

The outbreak area has been identified in Mahachai subdistrict (532 patients found), followed by Tha chin (7), Nawadee (4), and Bangtorad (1), while there are no patients in other subdistricts.

132044624_3540336359353713_4576093126339

A map shows the density of patients found in Samut Sakhon from Mahachai (red), Tha Chin (dark orange), Nawadee (orange), and Bangtorad (dark yellow)

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit said that the ministry would take around 2-4 weeks to control the situation with an active plan. The provincial government office has ordered a lockdown in the risky areas, not letting people in and out. Food and necessities will be delivered to quarantined people to reduce the risk of the infection spreading, he said.

The first phase tested 10,000 people. If the infected people are found to be highly infectious, the measures for proactive search will be increased to 30,000-40,000 people and cover more areas.

S__77791276.jpg

Police officers enclosed barbed wire around the shrimp market in Samut Sakhon province as a territory for COVID-19 quarantine while proactive screening continues.

Health officials expect 10-20 more customers of the market to be infected, so they have urged everyone to get the virus test. Many people who have doubts after visiting the risky areas have shown up, which is a good sign for the virus plan, Dr Kiattiphum said.

He has ensured their readiness with 500,000 pills ready to treat 8,000 people, 46 million masks reserved and 4 million pieces can be produced per day, 3 million pieces of N95 masks, 2 million PPE sets.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399916

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-21

14 hours ago, Greer said:

I see many rather disparaging remarks about Thailand, and all the usual attacks that have become so prevalent - or perhaps I should say "expected" - but considering that up till now things have been getting better in general. Lets see... America... nope, they are really screwed... ok how about Australia... no, they suddenly have a huge spike of cases in the Sydney Northern Beaches... oh ok, then what about UK?... Ah noooo... loads more cases daily (often more PER DAY than this spike here in poor third world Thailand. So... not being a religious nut, but in this case to paraphrase "Let he who is without COVID cast the first stone!"

Yet with all those worldwide 2nd waves you'd think Thailand would have learned a lesson... but noooo

got to keep the shrimp/fish /farm/factories slave labour working at all costs to save the Thai fisheries industry from crashing .

Yes other countries have screwed up, and now so have Thailand.

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yet with all those worldwide 2nd waves you'd think Thailand would have learned a lesson... but noooo

got to keep the shrimp/fish /farm/factories slave labour working at all costs to save the Thai fisheries industry from crashing .

hotchilli has it spot on, put incoming into quarantine but left the known porous borders wide open.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The rest of the world should learn from Thailand. Keeping the economy going is of high importance. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Samut Sakhon Covid-19 cases shoot up by another 146 

800_3b769701288c4ce.jpg

Another 146 people in Samut Sakhon province have tested positive for Covid-19.

Provincial vice governor Surasak Phonyangsong revealed the latest information at 2pm on Sunday.

The total number of those infected in the latest outbreak in the province has risen to 694.

He added that more than 90 per cent of patients were migrant workers linked to the Mahachai Market.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399912?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-20

People are going to start dying from this.

15 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Looks like we are just getting started.

Prepare for more lockdowns and an alcohol free Christmas and New Year period I would suggest.

Good I need to save some money anyway...no I have a set of excuses for the GF,  "can't travel- Covid", "No expensive Xmas Dinner out-Covid", "New Years eve Countdown party ? ...no way...Covid", "Lazada...sorry can't order anything right now...Covid delivery drivers"....Hey at this rate I might be able to afford a bigger TV and premium Netflix.

17 hours ago, Greer said:

I see many rather disparaging remarks about Thailand, and all the usual attacks that have become so prevalent - or perhaps I should say "expected" - but considering that up till now things have been getting better in general. Lets see... America... nope, they are really screwed... ok how about Australia... no, they suddenly have a huge spike of cases in the Sydney Northern Beaches... oh ok, then what about UK?... Ah noooo... loads more cases daily (often more PER DAY than this spike here in poor third world Thailand. So... not being a religious nut, but in this case to paraphrase "Let he who is without COVID cast the first stone!"

I do feel lucky to be in Thailand right now. I do feel that covid was under control whether it be through good leadership or plain and simple luck/geography is a different matter. My opinion is that the govt did act decisively in regard to the lockdown but more importantly people took to the masks with out hesitation and were generally hyper aware of the situation. I am also of the opinion that humidity plays a key role. Basic science tells you that when we cough/sneeze droplets into the air the high humidity means the droplets do not disperse but stay in large form and so will drop to the floor. In colder less humid countries the droplets will disperse into much smaller/finer droplets and then float around in the environment making it much easier to spread. Add to this the fact that people are reluctant to wear masks and a recipe for disaster - as we have seen being played out in the west. Lets hope Thailand can fight off this second wave with success whether it be through luck or leadership!

21 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the period is alcohol free? At least people would remember it!

due to a major decrease in the number of road deaths - might be a new hub coming up, if they're lucky. 

3 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

I do feel lucky to be in Thailand right now. I do feel that covid was under control whether it be through good leadership or plain and simple luck/geography is a different matter. My opinion is that the govt did act decisively in regard to the lockdown but more importantly people took to the masks with out hesitation and were generally hyper aware of the situation. I am also of the opinion that humidity plays a key role. Basic science tells you that when we cough/sneeze droplets into the air the high humidity means the droplets do not disperse but stay in large form and so will drop to the floor. In colder less humid countries the droplets will disperse into much smaller/finer droplets and then float around in the environment making it much easier to spread. Add to this the fact that people are reluctant to wear masks and a recipe for disaster - as we have seen being played out in the west. Lets hope Thailand can fight off this second wave with success whether it be through luck or leadership!

My initial observation at the moment seems that mask wearing has increased over the past couple of days.