"All in one" ?

swissie

After 500 years, I find it a good idea to replace my laptop.
On offer, some "all in one" devices. They are slim and trim, with a 27 inch monitor. Wow! Like some ladies, suffering from Anorexia.
What to look for, next to expectecd regular performance of todays "Digital-Machines"?

How to make sure, that the "all in one" product does not automatically function like an "Alexis" spy, living next to me, without me knowing that I have an uninvited companion in my house?

Or in other words: Would you buy an "all in one" product? Pro's and Con's? Possible recomendations as far as brands are concerned? THX.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

What model have you been looking at with a 27" screen ?

Might also be an idea to give a budget you had in mind ?

Hewlet Packart (HP) "Pavillion". Less than 1000 $ currently in Switzerland. Too good to be true?

My current (cheap-charlie) Lenovo B 50-50 has served me well over the last 4 years.

Budged: The sky is the limit as I can not spend any money in Thailand anymore. :smile:

2 hours ago, swissie said:

Hewlet Packart (HP) "Pavillion". Less than 1000 $ currently in Switzerland. Too good to be true?

My current (cheap-charlie) Lenovo B 50-50 has served me well over the last 4 years.

Budged: The sky is the limit as I can not spend any money in Thailand anymore. :smile:

Good info and sugestions in this article

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-all-in-one-pc,review-2159.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, swissie said:

I have had numerous HP Laptops and desktops including two pavilions for my businesses and my children. All were no good, especially the Pavillions. The early HP laptops all had broken hinges 9 in total. The small laptops overheated and burnt out in hot climates. I have been using top of the range 19" ACER Laptops for ever since. One is 12 years old and still going strong (cost $3,000 news). My son uses the ACER Predator 19" mainly for gaming and processing photographs as the program is hungry for memory and speed. My daughter uses a 17" ACER Nitro laptop for gaming and digital artwork and animation. All no problem. The two HP pavilions are gathering dust as they are not good. Lenovo is really the old IBM personal computer which was sold to the Chinese manufacturer.

As already mentioned, advantage are compactness and no cable clutter. Disadvantages are if something is broken or you want to upgrade or extend something, almost impossible. Have you considered a mini-desktop. I think it uses some smaller mainboard format but anything else standard parts. There are stands where you can place the computer unit behind the screen and also hide/fix all the cables. But it's still two independent units

17 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I have had numerous HP Laptops and desktops including two pavilions for my businesses and my children. All were no good, especially the Pavillions. The early HP laptops all had broken hinges 9 in total. The small laptops overheated and burnt out in hot climates. I have been using top of the range 19" ACER Laptops for ever since. One is 12 years old and still going strong (cost $3,000 news). My son uses the ACER Predator 19" mainly for gaming and processing photographs as the program is hungry for memory and speed. My daughter uses a 17" ACER Nitro laptop for gaming and digital artwork and animation. All no problem. The two HP pavilions are gathering dust as they are not good. Lenovo is really the old IBM personal computer which was sold to the Chinese manufacturer.

Yup, the teen son has a couple of years old 17'' Alienware with two monitors and the daughter has a 17'' Predator both running near max memory and SSD's.  Great machines.  I'm on my 6yr old Dell Precision M4800 with upgraded memory and a SSD upgraded to WIN10, still works GREAT!

I'd respectively suggest Toshiba brand, they make very good reliable machines.

My P870 is nearly 8 years old now, has worked faultlessly all that time, and has the same specs as new machines, 16gb RAM Intel i7 2.6Ghz CPU, it just weighs a ton whereas new machines are much lighter.

Other than getting lighter computers don't seem to have advances so much since I got the P870, maybe that's because much of the advancements are made in smart phones now, after all they are just a smaller computer.!
Al in one should not be an issue these days, but they all come with bloat ware, just go through it and delete as much unnecessary software you can as it only slows the machine.

As for the OS, well I hate win 10, but there's really no choice so I suggest pro or enterprise as at least you have some ability to customise it to suit, much less so with win 10 home.!

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

IMHO only.

All in One machines are great for minimising desktop clutter and trailing wires.

BUT

They have all the disadvantages of a laptop (lack of expandability mainly) and a desktop (not portable) with none of the advantages of either.

Monitor dies - lose the whole machine whilst it's fixed.

Want to upgrade the CPU or monitor - new machine.

It may be worth considering a mini-PC or NUC which will mount on the back of a regular monitor (or even your TV). Add a wireless rodent and keyboard and you have an All in One equivalent which has all the advantages and fewer of the disadvantages.

The ASUS mini with a Ryzen 7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, W10 Pro and a 250 GB M2 SSD is only 18500 from Invade. Plug into a big telly, wireless mouse & keyboard. Brilliant!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

As for the OS, well I hate win 10, but there's really no choice so I suggest pro or enterprise as at least you have some ability to customise it to suit, much less so with win 10 home.!

LINUX?

I was really hot to trot to buy an "AIO" system last year, it just seemed such a simple solution.

I really like researching what I intend to buy so I hit all the Bangkok IT malls and Power Buys/IT Cities, took copious notes and photos and spent hours on YouTube.

The bottom line that became apparent was that AIOs really cost a lot more than the sum of their parts are worth.  It quickly emerges that most, even the HPs, Dells, Lenovos, Asus and Acers are basically built from two year old part bins. Most processors were 2 years behind and any more than 4 gb ram was not available. Upgrades not possible. Most internal storage was older hard discs with only minimal SSDs available on the more expensive models.  Monitors were mostly still 720P and included keyboards and mouses were still wired.  USB ports were few and sound quality was abysmal.   Really decent AIOs really didn't start for less than B30,000; no bargain to be sure.

It became clear that the same degree of compact deskspace use could be achieved with a mini-pc like an Intel NUC, a decent monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse with a budget soundbar: much better overall system for a lot less money.  I bought a decent Celeron NUC, with 8gb ram and 500gb SSD, 27" BenQ monitor, wireless keyboard & Mouse along with a soundbar for less than B20,000. This is a far superior and more flexible system than I would have been able to get as an AIO for nearly twice the price.

7 minutes ago, LALes said:

I bought a 24" Lenovo a few months ago and love it.  Got it at Tukcom in Pattaya.  Before I even left the shop, I had them replace the 128 SSD with a 500 GB  top speed SSD.  Then, I had them replace the 1TB hard disc drive with a 500 GB regular SSD.

They opened the machine up (don't try this at home if you don't know what you're doing), changed the drives and I was on my way after 30 minutes.  Now I have 1TB of SSD and I shouldn't ever have to replace anything again.

The machine was 22,000 and the extra drives and labor were 5,000.  27,000 out the door.  Touch screen, too!

can you tell me the model number please?

just googled it, but there are a few

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

can you tell me the model number please?

just googled it, but there are a few

Sorry, I'm not at home for a few weeks and I don't have the info with me.  You should be able to find it,

or an even newer model, based on the specs I listed.  It was Top Of The Line at the time because it has

touch screen.  There's usually only one model with touch screen.  I overheard some geeks in the shop saying the Intel 9400 is faster than the newer 10400, which is on the new Acer.  Newer is not always better.  I'm happy with the speed, in any case.

• Like 1

All in ones are the SUVs of the computer world. They manage to do all parts of the job rather worse than any reasonable set up and cost a load more. Quite pointless really and mostly for people who feel they need a computer but have not a jot of interest in it.

Had a Toshiba laptop for a few years, then something went sideways with the screen.  Looked up the problem, and it turned out this was a design flaw in that model with the built graphics circuitry, and that it was semi-miraculous that it lasted as long as it did.  So, one small component rendered the whole machine useless.

Summary: all-in-one can mean if one thing goes bad the whole thing goes bad. 

Get yourself a laptop with an HDMI port and an external monitor instead.

12 hours ago, mrfill said:

All in ones are the SUVs of the computer world. They manage to do all parts of the job rather worse than any reasonable set up and cost a load more. Quite pointless really and mostly for people who feel they need a computer but have not a jot of interest in it.

what a load of absolute tosh!!!!!

you clearly have no idea mate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks Charlie, it's just that the OP said a laptop with a 27ins screen when he obviously meant

a desktop.

No, you misunderstood, he said he wants to replace his old laptop, and was looking at an "all in one" with a 27 inch screen. Laptops dont go that big.????

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

I just use a Dell Inspiron with a separate monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse. Disconnect the monitor, and you are good to go.

I use an Acer Aspire 3 laptop connected to a Samsung monitor, it slows down quite a lot, but still useable.

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

Yes I have a 24" Samsung monitor. My speed isn't affected.

I have now changed to a different browser, as one poster suggested, and so far there has been a big difference, I was using Brave which was good for a long time, but has got worse and worse, now I am using Chrome again, which has given me a lot of problems in the past.

I have yet to find a browser which has been consistent over a long period of time, I wonder if any other poster has noticed this.