Thailand faces lockdown if outbreak cannot be contained - PM

webfact

11 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Here’s a novel idea: instead of blaming Myanmar migrants, or dirty farangs, or government leaders—why not lay blame on the country with the wet markets and the virology labs located close by?

Sorry but my fast rewind button is (mercifully) broken.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

... Particularly if the mild strain results in immunity (or partial immunity) to the more serious strains in Europe. ...

That's a totally unfounded rationalization straw clutch if ever I saw one. AFAIK the jury is still out everywhere on any suggestion of post-infection immunity.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Don't blame the migrants, blame the grubby officials taking money to sneak them in. 

I'm not sure if that is the main problem. It's that Thailand simply doesn't have strong borders, nor the technology to police the borders effectively. Few, if any, countries do. Short of building a wall, no country can stop people crossing into it.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

Although I understand if many young people are annoyed with lockdowns and curfews... For me personally, it's actually quite nice. Finally there is some quiet in my bl**dy moban. 

May I nominate you for the "I'm all right Jack" award of 2020?

Competition for this award is always strong, but your post certainly should be up there on the leader board. Another lock down will finish hundreds of thousands of businesses, millions will have to go without pay (incidentally including me - I will survive but many many won"t), but hey, "Finally there is some quiet in my bl**dy moban. "

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Here it is hard to say how many have entered the country illegally because I took my Thai wife to Savannakhet and she got a 30 day entry to Laos for 50B.

I see no connections here?  What is the logical argument?  But  happy that you had  a great 50B trip!

Edited by PGSan

8 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

May I nominate you for the "I'm all right Jack" award of 2020?

Competition for this award is always strong, but your post certainly should be up there on the leader board. Another lock down will finish hundreds of thousands of businesses, millions will have to go without pay (incidentally including me - I will survive but many many won"t), but hey, "Finally there is some quiet in my bl**dy moban. "

Thanks for making this great sacrifice for our peace!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

They are huddled together with the "masks don't help" and "virus is a hoax" folks trading conspiracy theories I suspect. 

Just spotted one or two in this thread.  Must have escaped whilst the governor was not looking!

40 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

If it is a mild strain maybe a full lock lockdown is not needed. Particularly if the mild strain results in immunity (or partial immunity) to the more serious strains in Europe.

Not noticed many different strains??? around, but clearly you are very familiar with dna and sequence your friends  regularly.  Can I visit your lab facilities sometime?

Edited by PGSan
  • Like 1

Agreed, the migrant workers and possibly immigration officials are to blame, and that must be sorted out, but to continue bleating about it doesn't help Thailand. What the government needs to do now is contain the situation, urgently. Personally, I think that the whole country should be placed into immediate lockdown until at least Jan 3, then review the situation. Hopefully, people will then take this situation more seriously, particularly migrant workers and immigration officials. 

42 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Here’s a novel idea: instead of blaming Myanmar migrants, or dirty farangs, or government leaders—why not lay blame on the country with the wet markets and the virology labs located close by?

Why?

4 minutes ago, SaamBaht said:

Lockdown Madness! They don't work and they only cause more harm. Here's a more than forty recent studies lockdowns. 

https://thefatemperor.com/published-papers-and-data-on-lockdown-weak-efficacy-and-lockdown-huge-harms/

Site was debunked a while back, why anyone would think Governments would do something that destroys their economy for no reason is in cloud cuckoo land.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not sure if that is the main problem. It's that Thailand simply doesn't have strong borders, nor the technology to police the borders effectively. Few, if any, countries do. Short of building a wall, no country can stop people crossing into it.

I will agree with you that most of the long, green, natural border will be very hard to police and also very slow and arduous for large groups of migrant workers. I do recall the transit camps that the Thai military found in the southern jungles where the Rohingyas and Burmese refugees and/or labor were staged as they were trafficked into Malaysia. With so much of Thailand's commercial businesses dependent on migrant labour, they're having to make up for the moribund tourist sector may have made the illicit border crossings 'acceptable' in the eyes of some in officialdom?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Pure luck and extremely good fortune the first go-round. This time it's gonna spread like wildfire. No more foolish patting themselves on the back.The wrecking ball cometh.????

Nothing like a good bit if prophecy for Xmas, is there? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Well, that wasn't expected at all....

Given that chances are high I will arrive in Thailand this weekend, what was the last lock down like? I remember there was a curfew, no nightlife, and random foreigners were busted throwing private parties - but were there more restrictions or could you at least go get food and supplies during the day?

We'll be in quarantine until mid-January anyway, but wondering what happens after...

I”m in the same situation as you. Arriving on the 26th. Hoping for the best. 

In the article PM is quoted as saying decision will be on 28 or 29.  Logically it looks New Years Eve might be the right time to shut it down.   He will have to give at least two days notice for a nationwide shutdown, close the borders and shut off international air passenger arrivals.  It will be painful for those inside the country and those who have worked so hard to get back.  Could you imagine you just finished Quarantine and the country is shutdown again.  

20 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

Site was debunked a while back, why anyone would think Governments would do something that destroys their economy for no reason is in cloud cuckoo land.

debunked how and by who? He presents statistics (not just opinion) which show that lockdowns don't make any difference to the outcome. Eg Peru Argentina and Belgium some of the harshest lockdowns in the world and all with very high mortality rates. Have you watched his videos or have alternative facts that show him to be incorrect? or you just heard its been debunked? I have done a google search just now can just find one relatively junior doctor who has made a video in rebuttal and that has been responded too. Most of what he (Ivor Cummins) says is based on publically available statistics.

Well if businesses are closed what are so many migrants  doing in one area ? Most businesses that closed in my area forced workers from other provinces to move back home north , north east ... I  also know some that moved back to Vietnam or Myanmar , even Cambodia recently .they don't have money to burn . So why would some cross the border to a land of desperation? Beats me . 

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

Lockdown yes, do it.

Booze ban no, don't do it.

For those who are 'confused' by this post I'm talking about don't ban the sale of booze for home use. Shut all the bars you want, why pay 80 to 140 baht for a beer in a bar when it's 35 to 40 in the shops.