Thai Travel Industry Faces ‘Nail in Coffin’ After New Outbreak

webfact

Prim Chuwiruch

bq.jpg
Picture: Bloomber|Quint

(Bloomberg) -- As Phuket and other Thai tourist destinations prepare for a slight bump in business from the countdown to 2021, a new virus outbreak among seafood factory workers near Bangkok couldn’t come at a worse time.

Thailand discovered a record cluster of infections in Samut Sakhon province last week, prompting a 14-day lockdown of the industrial district. The government is mulling whether curbs need to be expanded to other locales.

Another nationwide lockdown or restrictions on domestic travel could be the “nail in the coffin” for many tourism-related companies, according to Phuket Hotel Association President Anthony Lark.

Read more: https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits/thai-travel-industry-faces-nail-in-coffin-after-new-outbreak 

bb.jpg

-- © BlombergQuint 2020-12-22

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

How many more nails are you going to put in that coffin?

Always room for more... it was dead and buried long before this latest outbreak, mid 2021 at the earliest before even the adventurous start to move around.

• Like 1

who gives a rats a** about Thailand's travel industry or any country's travel industry world wide. It's the 'travel industry' that has made this virus more destructive than any other industry. I hope they all go into the coffin, especially from those countries that seem to only care about making dollars on the backs of corpses..

• Like 2

Unfortunately, this game has caught up with Thailand.  See no evil, hear no evil.  Limited testing of general population.  Most countries play the no-test game—just to look good to the world.  At least now we’ll see more honesty and positive effort (that does not mean total lockdowns, BTW).

• Like 1

I think we're talking about the domestic travel industry here; certainly, my SO was all geared up to go away for New Year, camping at the side of a lake with a few friends, atmospheric stuff; now it's all on the backburner, depending how things go over the next few days.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DaLa said:

This was always going to be the case. If there was ever any intention or desire to open the country again, a small percentage of a large number of tourists would have resulted in new cases and then the subsequent spread would have occurred. Even with a 95% protection rate from a vaccine.  On the basis that a few new cases now will result in lockdowns and restrictions then I can see no solution in the near future...which may mean years. 

Why would tourists who have passed thru quarantine then infect people? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Another Pesky Nail... the need humans have for oxygen.

image.png.b889df5677a4a1f5467bd64210d7384c.png

...And it could be worse, that is, if mass tourism and the economy in general was in full flow. How can we keep it this low is the question, not complain how high it is currently. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I really do not think the disease is going to be half as bad as the economic destruction consequences when it's gone. Another year of complete shut down and a lot of the world will be beyond repair

I don't think so either, but it is uncertainty gov is worried about (at least regards figures).

18 hours ago, webfact said:

No problem....

Issue sixty day visas...and jack the ASQ quarantine period up to sixty days....with no extensions.

It's all profit.

Edited by Hayduke

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

Okay, give'em nuthin'. That'll show'em. Make them spend 3000 baht to get coupons for 3000 more. That's the trick. Country is hoarding its cash and you seem to think it's a good idea.

https://themindunleashed.com/2020/12/54-million-americans-including-18-million-kids-to-lack-access-to-sufficient-food-by-years-end.html?fbclid=IwAR0Tb33UmbqkTc8iTxP9LOhyegkADV_wy9DhrIa1wLC3Q2yzKHpEG9weGEU

58 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

What's with your confusion about this? I said that both the US and Thailand need to cough up the cash. Thailand has made you pay to get coupons; they US hasn't given enough. I put it in another topic: the $600 is a joke and an insult. But Thailand hasn't even done that.

I have been saying for some time............the world has no chance of mass tourism until around November 2021.

Countries in Asia will not start vaccinating until Q2......what hope have they got ?  Will be late Q3 before they have made a significant impact with vaccination.

November 2021 will be the very earliest any "form" of tourism will return.  Europeans will be ok in the summer of 2021 but will likely only travel within the safety of Europe (and it will be much cheaper for so many people with less money to burn now).

China is promoting domestic tourism.......they are hurting too and the last thing they want is Chinese going outside of China to spend money, they want to keep it all inside.

Asia tourism is dead until November 2021 at the earliest...........mark my words.