UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

1 minute ago, Histavia said:

You need to look at the systems - the EU is no more or less democratic than the UK . UK has the highest per capita rate of Covid infection in Europe - it is higher that the USA as well.

I bought a digital [piano made in Indonesia - it is now it Germany awaiting the paperwork to proceed to UK.....delyed a week so far..

Many goods from outside the EU have logistics setup to go to a point in the EU for distribution.. Anything now for UK has to then been re-shipped with further paperwork to go onward. Even if the documentation is correct and computerised this is an extra step in the logistics and will involve extra time and cost FOREVER.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Histavia said:

I bought a digital [piano made in Indonesia - it is now it Germany awaiting the paperwork to proceed to UK.....delyed a week so far..

Many goods from outside the EU have logistics setup to go to a point in the EU for distribution.. Anything now for UK has to then been re-shipped with further paperwork to go onward. Even if the documentation is correct and computerised this is an extra step in the logistics and will involve extra time and cost FOREVER.

There will likely be more price difference now (though UK prices are already typically higher).   For many companies in the US the distribution is more direct and more competitive (of products made).  For other countries, like Canada ... products sold here are often marked up higher since the US company sells to maybe one distributor in Canada that has the local rights and that distributor is responsible for certain administrative stuff and of course wants to make a profit on top of the manufacturer - which is then marked up again at retail.  I remember buying a Denon Receiver (maybe 20+ years ago) and Denon Canada (distributor) cost an average of 30% more than the US... so I bought grey market and had it shipped to Canada directly from the US (of course the warranty would be US only).  

Also with international trade - products traded under free trade agreements usually have a minimum content (to the trade region)... which means each product (each SKU) has to be evaluated separately - since anything below the minimum content would not be covered and either have duty or taxes applied (even if free trade says there are 0 duties).  This adds red tape and costs of additional admin on both the importers and exporters (along with new documentation).  If this was not in place then there would be no controls on someone just buying cheap goods from a 3rd party and only acting as a shipping forwarder to get around duties etc.  All this adds cost as well.

You were just unfortunate with your timing since the shipment is likely not designated as in transit to the UK so it is literally imported into Germany, then exported to UK -- rather than a bonded warehouse pre-import at Germany and then forwarding the shipment to the UK without importing.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

There will likely be more price difference now (though UK prices are already typically higher).   For many companies in the US the distribution is more direct and more competitive (of products made).  For other countries, like Canada ... products sold here are often marked up higher since the US company sells to maybe one distributor in Canada that has the local rights and that distributor is responsible for certain administrative stuff and of course wants to make a profit on top of the manufacturer - which is then marked up again at retail.  I remember buying a Denon Receiver (maybe 20+ years ago) and Denon Canada (distributor) cost an average of 30% more than the US... so I bought grey market and had it shipped to Canada directly from the US (of course the warranty would be US only).  

Also with international trade - products traded under free trade agreements usually have a minimum content (to the trade region)... which means each product (each SKU) has to be evaluated separately - since anything below the minimum content would not be covered and either have duty or taxes applied (even if free trade says there are 0 duties).  This adds red tape and costs of additional admin on both the importers and exporters (along with new documentation).  If this was not in place then there would be no controls on someone just buying cheap goods from a 3rd party and only acting as a shipping forwarder to get around duties etc.  All this adds cost as well.

You were just unfortunate with your timing since the shipment is likely not designated as in transit to the UK so it is literally imported into Germany, then exported to UK -- rather than a bonded warehouse pre-import at Germany and then forwarding the shipment to the UK without importing.

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I dont think it makes a lot of difference whether or not it's a bonded warehouse. I used to work in a bonded warehouse and you need paperwork regardless. 

All paperwork costs....I think however the US has always been cheap for electrical goods due to the lack of gst/vat. AT present uk rates are very high.

The problem will continue in that everything coming into the Uzk will require paperwork now and even when systems are up and running there is an added cost.

Of course some goods just wont be shipped anymore.

If you look at supermarkets in UK, many have noted gaps in the shelves as imports have slowed or stopped.....but I also notice that gaps are being filled with home grownveggues... swedes and parsnips just to fill the gaps.....of course it is also I dicative of the restrictions in variety that will also become common in the future.

2 minutes ago, Histavia said:

Yes - the government has two crises to cope with, and unfortunately you can't blame lack of goods in the shops, question at dover in th quiet season on Covid.... either can you blame my keyboard getting stuck in Germany.

My family have a fish restaurant and at present the fishing boats are not even going out.....stocks of cod etc are dwindling and exports are zero - basically I can't get fish and chips where I am for two reasons - there isn't any fresh fish and the chip shop has shut down due to Covid. What you need to do is sort out one from the other - and in many cases it is a double whammy and the businesses just go out of business.

UK leaving Erazmus and Galileo of course have nothing to do with Covid. Having to queue at Airports and borders is nothing to do with Covid nor is needing work permits, resident permits and losing your vote in local elections throughout Europe. Hauliers who finally do make it across to the Eu can now onl drop off and pick up return trips - they are not allowed to gather extra business in the Eu and of course their are now 2 or 3 ferry services going diect from Ireland to France and Belgium to avoid the Brexit chaos at UK ports.

I might add that fr from there being a glut of fish at present, many boats are just not going out. This is because between 60 and 90 % of here catch goes to EU - if they can't sell it there on time they can't get rid in the UK market alone so rather than make a loss and wear out the vessels they just don't go out.

All supermarkets are experiencing or forecasting shortages at present.

• Like 2

You've lost me your fish shop is looking to order cod but it is closed?

Far too many people reading the tabloid scare stories

As this is a Thai forum and therefore exchange rates are more important than fishing!! in previous few days the GBP carries a rising trend against the baht

The Euro however.........

P.s Cycled past a new supermarket chain store today looked fully stocked to me

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Histavia said:

Freedom to work? Freedom to reside? Freedom of movement, workers rights? Freedom of consumer choice? Freedom of education? Freedom to move goods? Freedom of roaming, freedom to move pets?

which freedom are you referring to?

Could be freedom from covid the speed the vaccines are being rolled out in the UK

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Well, give us more: what exactly is "getting better everyday thanks to Brexit" ? 

With sources, please. 

Port bottlenecks to worsen as lorry traffic picks up, hauliers warn

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/01/16/port-bottlenecks-worsen-lorry-traffic-picks-hauliers-warn/

From your link "Industry sources say the majority of loads leaving Britain post-Brexit are from often larger companies which are “well prepared” for the new regime. As others who have less resources try to make crossings, they expect problems to grow rapidly."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/01/16/port-bottlenecks-worsen-lorry-traffic-picks-hauliers-warn/

So the larger companies identified potential problems and took the appropriate action to mitigate potential issues.

Smaller companies buried their heads in the sand hoping that there would be no problems or that the issues would be resolved magically

Similar approach was seen with YK2 2000 where the larger companies identified potential problems and took the appropriate action to mitigate where smaller buried their heads in the sand hoping that there would be no problems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Could be freedom from covid the speed the vaccines are being rolled out in the UK

if the UE did forbid that, the UK could not be in the present situation.. remember it happened in December.

now bypassing the EMA is a right for any EU member but no one else did..

Guess why? It turns out might be such a good idea since the first batch of the vaccine had a low ARM content and that's why the EMA asked they were correct before giving the go.

So the UK is vaccinating fast but there is not certainty about the quality of the first jab.

another issue is not respecting the Pfizer protocol for the second jab with the up to 12 weeks delay instead of 4. First jab only gives 50% immunity and then decreasing

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/06/mrna-vaccines-schedule-covid-19

.... now this is not fully about the deal, but about your "its getting better everyday"

is it quite likely this national-populist government will turn out as good for managing vaccinations has it has been: 

1. for the Brexit negotiations
  2. for the management of the pandemic (remember the UK is the hardest-hit country economically, and broke a record with 100.000 death lately..).

still happy with this government ? getting better everyday ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Indeed 

Now once new suppliers have been found and supply chains have been revised to bypass UK firms, do you think they will come back? 

Red tape is here to stay 

Stena Line and Irish Ferries shift ships to Ireland-France routes to bypass bureaucratic snarls.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ferry-firms-avoid-britain-with-brexit-buster-services-from-ireland-to-eu

I still wonder what economic benefits of Brexit you promise and when you plan to deliver, tell us! 

I often see forum members complaining about Air quality in Chiang Mai and Bangkok and in some extreme cases where they feel  they have no other choice but to move to a different location either for parts of the year or completely

Brexit: Ireland’s land bridge to the continent boosts air pollution in the UK

For the UK, the land bridge means that a third country is directly contributing to national air pollution, with all the health consequences that entails. Exposure to nitrogen dioxide pollution can trigger and exacerbate asthma symptoms, and it’s also associated with heart disease and birth complications. Inhaling fine particulate matter (often called “PM2.5”, as these particles are smaller than 2.5 micrometres) is linked to a host of medical conditions, including lung cancer.

We calculated the quantities of nitrogen oxides (NOx) and PM2.5 produced from 150,000 heavy goods vehicle journeys from Holyhead to Felixstowe (329 miles, or 529 kilometres) and found that it results in an additional 34 tonnes of NOx and 0.7 tonnes of PM2.5 per year being emitted across Wales and England. The PM2.5 calculation is based on exhaust emissions only though, it excludes particulates shed from brakes and tyres. Total UK road transport NOx emissions in 2018 were 258,000 tonnes.

https://theconversation.com/brexit-irelands-land-bridge-to-the-continent-boosts-air-pollution-in-the-uk-143775

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Health ministers from Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania and Sweden wrote in a joint letter to the European Commission following the announcement that "this situation is unacceptable.

Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania and Sweden - pheu! Only small countries, they will fall in line!

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

"As a consequence, fewer doses will be available for European countries at the end of January and the beginning of February," she added.

so what, the UK is concerned to and won't be the first in line... and how would this help with the second jab delay?

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I think the remainers and you EU folk should start telling us your EU woes after Brexit, as up till now everything is rosy in your EU garden, which I don't believe for one minute.

Now why don't YOU go for it, or will you say.."That's off topic"......:whistling:.............:cheesy:

we have bigger fish to fry