BBC says obtained full copy of post-Brexit trade deal

rooster59

BBC says obtained full copy of post-Brexit trade deal

2020-12-26T020745Z_1_LYNXMPEGBP00X_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

A person walks past an EU and a British flag in London, Britain, April 2, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah Mckay/Files

(Reuters) - The post-Brexit trade deal reached by the United Kingdom and the European Union goes beyond the EU's so-called "Canada-style" trade accord, the BBC said on Friday, citing what it said was a full copy of the accord.

The 1,246-page document includes about 800 pages of annexes and footnotes, the BBC said, adding that the pages of legal text will determine every aspect of trade between the UK and the EU.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Thursday had described the last-minute agreement as a "jumbo" free trade deal along the lines of that between the EU and Canada, and urged Britain to move on from the divisions caused by the 2016 Brexit referendum.

The BBC report added that at first look, the full post-Brexit text went beyond a so-called "Canada-style" deal.

One annex revealed a late compromise on electric cars, the BBC reported. The EU had sought to offer tariff-free access only to those British cars made mostly with European parts. That will now be phased in over six years, but is less generous than the UK had requested, the BBC said.

There is a clear commitment not to lower standards on the environment, workers' rights and climate change from those that currently exist and mechanisms to enforce them, the BBC reported.

However, it added that there is also a mutual right to "rebalance" the agreement if there are "significant divergences" in the future capable of "impacting trade".

Similarly, the restrictions compensation for unfair subsidies to companies "do not apply" in situations such as natural disasters, the BBC said. That will exempt the EU's large current pandemic support package for aviation, aerospace, climate change and electric cars.

Britain clinched a narrow Brexit trade deal with the European Union on Thursday, just seven days before it exits one of the world's biggest trading blocs.

The deal will preserve Britain's zero-tariff and zero-quota access to the bloc's single market of 450 million consumers, but will not prevent economic pain and disruption for the UK or for EU member states.

The UK formally left the EU on Jan. 31 but has since been in a transition period under which rules on trade, travel and business remained unchanged until the end of this year.

The British parliament will debate and vote on the deal on Dec. 30, just one day before the transition period lapses.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh and Radhika Anilkumar in Bengaluru; Editing by Dan Grebler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-26

11 minutes ago, tebee said:

Should you want to read the agreement yourself it's here 

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2020/EN/COM-2020-857-F1-EN-ANNEX-1-PART-1.PDF

quick skim and info from what others have said.

Zero tariffs, but only if UK remains closely aligned to EU, can be revoked at any time.

arbitration panels to decided if we are complying.

UK qualifications no longer recognised in EU automatically.

No Financial equivalence    

Also here with an additional 34 page summary document :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/agreements-reached-between-the-united-kingdom-of-great-britain-and-northern-ireland-and-the-european-union

12 minutes ago, tebee said:

Should you want to read the agreement yourself it's here 

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2020/EN/COM-2020-857-F1-EN-ANNEX-1-PART-1.PDF

quick skim and info from what others have said.

Zero tariffs, but only if UK remains closely aligned to EU, can be revoked at any time.

arbitration panels to decided if we are complying.

UK qualifications no longer recognised in EU automatically.

No Financial equivalence    

I wonder if Boris number of pages  are same as this ones.....? :wink:  Better count if his pages are the same number and same as the Star chamber from ERG received from him ...????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

Of course, not, he got the simplified version, written in crayon, with lots of pretty pictures......

leaving those .... "just details... just details.." out ....:wink:

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

Just now, puipuitom said:

For Boris they let all."details, details and details" away, and it therefore only mention""Brexit is done, we are back in control",.. Boris is the winner

Of course first thing he did was congratulating himself. Declaring victory while is still shackled to the EU for the fair playing field. Fishing is a different story he just has to endure for 5 years and then he can negotiate again and this time he has the power. Still far from the victory he declared. 

Still the EU has lost on fishing.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Of course first thing he did was congratulating himself. Declaring victory while is still shackled to the EU for the fair playing field. Fishing is a different story he just has to endure for 5 years and then he can negotiate again and this time he has the power. Still far from the victory he declared. 

if i am correct it is 5.5 years ..... dont give a half years of "UnionJack printed " fishtails away  ????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

You Brits have a pretty high opinion of yourself. The EU will just go on without you guys. Not having you does not mean we crumble. You guys are not special your actually in decline as a country. From an empire to ... who knows if the Scots take back control and watch the UK crumble ????

Maybe the name will change from UK to just K?

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't care who won to be honest/. The brexiteers have a hard brexit so are happy, the EU is happy there is a deal, sop I presume also the remainers are happy (all relative of course).

So all in all I think everybody can be happy. 

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

For Boris they let all."details, details and details" away, and it therefore only mention""Brexit is done, we are back in control",.. Boris is the winner. ( with thanks to Jos Collignon , cartoonist)

Only for those pensionado's with houses in Spain, Portugal, France etc... it will be a nasty one: 90 days in, 90 days off. Curious what they now think, as I understand they massively supported Brexit. 

Let's take back control.jpg

They can always choose to take residence in the country where those  houses are in Spain, Portugal, France etc and abandon the U.K. residency status.....But finish to take the "one foot in ... on foot out " status as  before the U.K. as  privilege's had 

Edited by david555

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't care who won to be honest/. The brexiteers have a hard brexit so are happy, the EU is happy there is a deal, sop I presume also the remainers are happy (all relative of course).

So all in all I think everybody can be happy. 

The only reason i care is because they said he would not cave ect ect. Kept saying he would not but he did. Its more a question of being right about something.

But sure i think everyone should be happy that there is a deal.

• Like 2

(I know its from Express ....???? ....but anyway  i expect it  to become truth , as this "deal" is a forced one for  a "Christmas looming deadline " deal ....so a decade of mini  negotiations to come ....) ????

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1376853/brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-ursula-von-der-leyen-uk-eu-negotiations-will-never-end

'Negotiations NEVER end!' Legal expert highlights worrying 10-page section of Brexit deal
THE BREXIT deal will lead to a future relationship between the UK and the EU involving "negotiations without end", a legal expert has warned.

By BRIAN MCGLEENON
PUBLISHED: 10:41, Sat, Dec 26, 2020 | UPDATED: 10:58, Sat, Dec 26, 2020

Lawyer David Allen Green warned the deal will "not bring Brexit to an end", as he began analysing the 1,246-page document. He said on Twitter: "About ten pages of the UK-EU trade agreement are devoted to setting up, without exaggeration, dozens and dozens of UK-EU talking shops. Committees, assemblies, working groups, and so on.

"All with various powers and functions. "Welcome to the future, negotiations without end."
On his 'The Law and Policy' blog, Mr Green added Brexit will be a prolonged "contested subject for at least a generation". Writing in his influential blog on Boxing Day, the expert on topical law and policy matters said: "Brexit will be a contested subject for at least a generation.

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, david555 said:

(I know its from Express ....???? ....but anyway  i expect it  to become truth , as this "deal" is a forced one for  a "Christmas looming deadline " deal ....so a decade of mini  negotiations to come ....) ????

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1376853/brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-ursula-von-der-leyen-uk-eu-negotiations-will-never-end

'Negotiations NEVER end!' Legal expert highlights worrying 10-page section of Brexit deal
THE BREXIT deal will lead to a future relationship between the UK and the EU involving "negotiations without end", a legal expert has warned.

By BRIAN MCGLEENON
PUBLISHED: 10:41, Sat, Dec 26, 2020 | UPDATED: 10:58, Sat, Dec 26, 2020

Lawyer David Allen Green warned the deal will "not bring Brexit to an end", as he began analysing the 1,246-page document. He said on Twitter: "About ten pages of the UK-EU trade agreement are devoted to setting up, without exaggeration, dozens and dozens of UK-EU talking shops. Committees, assemblies, working groups, and so on.

"All with various powers and functions. "Welcome to the future, negotiations without end."
On his 'The Law and Policy' blog, Mr Green added Brexit will be a prolonged "contested subject for at least a generation". Writing in his influential blog on Boxing Day, the expert on topical law and policy matters said: "Brexit will be a contested subject for at least a generation.

It's also what I understand, as it is an unfinished, incomplete contract. They settled on easy issues, and also on issues with a strong short-term impact, in order to avoid a crash.  They left the most controversial ones for further discussion.

A complete contract would have allowed people to turn the page and move on. It likely won't be the case. In UK, the divide between leavers and remainers, supporters of soft vs hard Brexit, will go on. At each occasion in the negotiation process, this divide will show up. For the EU, it also means the position of UK negotiators will change over time according to UK domestic politics, i.e. a Labour government may have different orientations than a Tory government.

• Thanks 1