Thailand to get 2m doses of vaccine from Feb: Anutin

snoop1130

2 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

"Moderna's vaccine can be transported and stored at standard refrigerator temperatures. It even can be left at room temperature for up to 12 hours. Pfizer's requires ultra-low temperatures, so countries and healthcare systems that want to provide Pfizer's vaccine must invest in special freezers."

I suppose it's written that way because -20c is within operating parameters for a standard home freezer.

If that article had said, "can be transported and stored at standard freezer temperatures," it would have been accurate.

Perhaps that's what they meant to say?

22 hours ago, misterjames said:

They ordered 26 million doses of the Oxford vaccine from UK but I speculate the Oxford vaccine will go to the richest people while the poor will probably get some shady Chinese one.

The AZ Oxford vaccine will be made in Thailand for domestic and SE Asian markets.

Maybe their regulatory rules are stricter than the UK's as the vaccine passed there.

Mind you the Pfizer vaccine was ok'd in the UK a few days before anywhere else which makes

me a little nervous, especially as they have stuck the first dose into my mother already.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Found a list of prices, A "secret list" was put online by a Belgian Secretary of Health department.

Just googled it and came up.

AZ said it didnt want to make profit and just sold it cost price.

These were mentioned and i dont see a "sputnikV"  and maybe some others, probably not running for candidate.

All to do with efficiency and how to make profit anyway.

There was even a vaccine which they tried and due to an error in testing procedure, people had half the dose of the vaccine and that seemed to work better then the whole dose. Amazing, but helpfull though?

image.png.1118eb68645df2a491bf9ce5886cf285.png

Edited by xtrnuno41
additional text

23 hours ago, Petey11 said:

My understanding was that all vaccines were going to be provided at cost, ie. Manufacturers do not make profit but cover expenses. They only variable should be transportation costs. And if they've gone for the American one initially needs to be stored at -70°c,choc dee with transporting that to outlying provinces.

As far as I know it was only the vaccine developed by Oxford University that was offered at cost price. I think it was 3 GBP a dose.

This vaccine does not need extreme storage temperatures.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ukrules said:

I have a feeling that the people might prefer something other than the Chinese vaccine.

The Chinese vaccine was being tested in Brazil and Peru with dire consequences putting an immediate end to the testing trial in both countries. this is what happens when the stupid people try to compete with the Americans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

The AZ Oxford vaccine will be made in Thailand for domestic and SE Asian markets.

Maybe their regulatory rules are stricter than the UK's as the vaccine passed there.

Mind you the Pfizer vaccine was ok'd in the UK a few days before anywhere else which makes

me a little nervous, especially as they have stuck the first dose into my mother already.

Them damn British again !     First caves, now vaccines........ !  

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

British regulatory and safety standards are some of the strictest and best in the world, I doubt there is much to worry about. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 4:48 PM, RR2020 said:

Personally I will have the Oxford vaccine.  Its old fashioned proven technology.   I will not have these brand new RNA vaccines.  Thats my personal choice.

China has just approved the Sinopharm vaccine.........most likely the 2 million is this one.

Covid-19: China approves Sinopharm vaccine for general use - BBC News

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/hcp/mrna-vaccine-basics.html

It's not like it's a brand new technology and it's a nice option for those that don't like vaccines that contain live vira. 

6 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If that article had said, "can be transported and stored at standard freezer temperatures," it would have been accurate.

Perhaps that's what they meant to say?

I think they meant to say that the Moderna vaccine can be transported and stored using standard refrigeration equipment, of the type used all over Thailand to supply 7 Eleven shops and available for purchase at any Big C, and already in use by healthcare providers everywhere. 

Versus Pfizer which needs specialized refrigeration equipment less readily available. 

On 12/31/2020 at 10:37 PM, Nout said:

'speculate' being the key word.

Thailand has a clear caste system; hi-so families that are never indicted for criminal offences where sons can ask police, 'Do you know who my father is?' and the rest of the population.  It has, perhaps, the widest wealth inequality in the world.

16 hours ago, cryo said:

70% get immunity the other 30% will get a less virulent antibody reaction to the virus with minimum to no deaths, so in effect a life saver for 100%.

I meant that particular vaccine has a protection efficacy of 70% after 2 shots. The other vaccines are in the 90s.

With spikes and or no abatement of viral infections in many countries it now appears that the regulatory bodies are fast tracking approvals. Many "western" vaccines were close to release in any case. China isn't concerned about being approved by anyone but their own regulators, they are shooting from hip and using countries with smaller economies for testing. I suspect the LOS is about to become one of those countries.

The other issue is that even after vaccination there are cases of reinfection because people don't understand that it can take up 30 days for the body to build up the defences the vaccine, if effective, triggers. Unfortunately people are not big on patience when it comes to these sort of things.

Edited by fondue zoo

23 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's not quite accurate. It's true that the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine needs -70°C but Moderna's requires in the first instance (and for long term storage) -20°C. It can only be stored at normal refrigerator temperatures for a relatively short period, as the article below from The Scientist explains:

Moderna vaccine

Of the current front-runners, it's only the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine that can be stored indefinitely at normal refrigerator temperatures.

And they are charging for it at cost: $1.70, so why is Thailand paying $17 for the German developed one? Possibly a misprint?

On 12/31/2020 at 7:47 PM, Petey11 said:

My understanding was that all vaccines were going to be provided at cost, ie. Manufacturers do not make profit but cover expenses. They only variable should be transportation costs. And if they've gone for the American one initially needs to be stored at -70°c,choc dee with transporting that to outlying provinces.

Your understanding is wrong. Only the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine will be provided at cost. It is also being manufactured in Thailand for distribution in the local region.

The USA vaccines are a profit centre for the producers. 

also since the sublimation temperature of dry ice is -78C transport of vaccines at -70 or less is not as big a problem as you think 

On 12/31/2020 at 10:38 PM, ftpjtm said:

American Moderna vaccine

Needs -20C for long (6 month) storage, fridge 2C for medium storage, possibly stable at room temperature (20 C) for 12 hours.

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

China isn't concerned about being approved by anyone but their own regulators, they are shooting from hip and using countries with smaller economies for testing. I suspect the LOS is about to become one of those countries.

Extremely unlikely (probability virtually zero) as Thailand doesn’t have enough infection, you need a county with infections to do mass testing. They are testing in Brazil 

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thailand has a clear caste system; hi-so families that are never indicted for criminal offences where sons can ask police, 'Do you know who my father is?' and the rest of the population.  It has, perhaps, the widest wealth inequality in the world.

The last sentence claim is not even remotely true, it’s not even in the top 20.

Don't balance probable truth with absolute lies.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The last sentence claim is not even remotely true, it’s not even in the top 20.

Don't balance probable truth with absolute lies.

Actually it was rated number one in the world in this report.

Thailand now has the largest wealth gap in the world, according to a recent report by Credit Suisse. The Global Wealth Report and Databook, published in December 2018, showed that the richest 1% in Thailand now controls almost 67% of the country’s wealth.

https://www.aseantoday.com/2019/01/thailands-wealth-inequality-is-the-highest-in-the-world-what-does-this-mean-for-upcoming-elections/

• Like 2

On 1/1/2021 at 12:03 AM, shdmn said:

That's good enough for now.  UK is only giving 1 dose of the AstraZeneca one and not trying to reserve enough to cover a second dose.  They are saying you can wait up till 12 weeks for the 2nd dose so they probably figure they will have enough on hand by then.

your quite correct but the 2nd dose is best given 2 weeks later to have the best effect so waiting 12 weeks makes the 2nd dose a waste of time,its absurd and the drs and their council have pointed that out!!!perhaps your already aware of this but theres no level of competence theyre idiots.also we are told by astra that if the 1st dose is less than the 1st one its more effective so do that and within 2 weeks ,job done,get ret nurses drs vets st johns any qualified person to help with the mass vaccs and get on with it and shut up as everything coming out of the mouth of govt is extremely disturbing and here,wheres the vaccs?we have enough money here its about the cost of a chinese sub or a fraction of a divine acc!!

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Moderna vaccine 

Needs -20C for long (6 month) storage, fridge 2C for medium storage, possibly stable at room temperature (20 C) for 12 hours.

Yes, so anyone with the ability to store and distribute ice cubes and frozen foods should be able to handle it, unlike the Pfizer vaccine which requires more specialized refrigeration. 

1200px-Ice_Cream_Cart_02.jpg

Edited by ftpjtm

On 12/31/2020 at 3:48 AM, Jingthing said:

Thailand is part of COVAX. Part of their policy is non-transparency.

Also keep in mind that these vaccines generally require two doses.

So in general, divide by two.

So these numbers are needless to say -- NOT IMPRESSIVE. 

What will probably start happening is that countries will start giving out one shot to as many people as possible.  That is what the UK is doing now and I expect other countries to start doing the same.  One shot still gives you some protection and you can supposedly wait up until 12 weeks to get the second shot.  At least with the Astra Zeneca one.