What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I watched episode 1.

I've seen all the previous seasons. as well as the "early years" feature .

If you had no previous experience with Gomorrah,

would you bother watching episode 2?

I thought ep. 1 totally uninvolving and uninteresting.

A lot of meaningless arbitrary action devoid of plot.

Even though I've seen earlier seasons, none of what was going on had any meaning to me.

That's a shame.

That's one I'll be binge watching anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I watched episode 1.

I've seen all the previous seasons. as well as the "early years" feature .

If you had no previous experience with Gomorrah,

would you bother watching episode 2?

I thought ep. 1 totally uninvolving and uninteresting.

A lot of meaningless arbitrary action devoid of plot.

Even though I've seen earlier seasons, none of what was going on had any meaning to me.

You aren't the only person to mention a difference, that it wasn't so enjoyable - other forums questioned, was it a different writing team.

I haven't got around to watching it yet, I tend to watch 2-3 shows at a time, finishing one series before moving on to the next.

Currently watching through the new series of Selling Sunset (the wife likes it), Furia, cocaine coast, Chasing Ghislaine with weekly episodes of ragdoll, CSI Vegas, shrink nextdoor (which is kind of improving, not really comedy but still)

1 minute ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Kin season 1. It's an Irish crime drama set in Dublin. Looking good so far.

It was good Mutt daeng----"Hidden Assets" is better----they are turning out some good stuff from  Ireland ---

The RTA mob that done both those  also put out something completely different-- ...."Reeling in the years"  gets a 9.3 on IMDB

"A look back at the stories which occurred in Ireland and abroad between 1962 and 2019 accompanied only by soundtrack of that particular year and subtitles - no narration."

Its good I used  to watch 1 or 2 or them while eating.....takes a while to get through them....just try a few , Pirates has them all

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Kin season 1. It's an Irish crime drama set in Dublin. Looking good so far. Worth a look IMHO. Thanks to @Will27 who recommended it. I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13444408/

I’m all over Kin right now ( just starting EP 4 ), loving it.

Watching on fmovies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

You aren't the only person to mention a difference, that it wasn't so enjoyable - other forums questioned, was it a different writing team.

I haven't got around to watching it yet, I tend to watch 2-3 shows at a time, finishing one series before moving on to the next.

Currently watching through the new series of Selling Sunset (the wife likes it), Furia, cocaine coast, Chasing Ghislaine with weekly episodes of ragdoll, CSI Vegas, shrink nextdoor (which is kind of improving, not really comedy but still)

How're you finding Chasing Ghislaine?

I liked the Filthy Rich series but CG has some dreadful reviews.

Saw the new version of Dune.  IMO yet another action movie, as opposed to sci-fi.  Buffed up hero types sword/knife fighting, more of a Marvel venture.  Or maybe a trans-planetary Game of Thrones. Gave me an appreciation for the 1980s version I didn't have before.

• Like 1

Attack on Pearl Harbor. minute by minute---Doco Ch 5 TV 3 parts. released 2 Dec

Covers the 1941 Japanese military strike on a Hawaiian naval base in never before seen detail.

Seems to be I lot of footage of the WW2 released last year---hence the run of Programs, great Escape etc---this is the 80th year of this particular event.

. --I got this from Chaos--I haven't looked elsewhere.

A large Blurb

Channel 5 and factual production company Barcroft Studios will coproduce a new documentary series that will chronicle the Pearl Harbor attacks.

Attack on Pearl Harbor: Minute by Minute will cover the 1941 Japanese military strike on a Hawaiian naval base in never before seen detail, Barcroft Studios said in a news release. The series will be released this year to coincide with the 80th anniversary of the attack.

The series will combine interviews from the remaining survivors of the attack and expert talking heads, with rare archive material and underwater shipwreck footage. Each episode will unfold chronologically and cover a different part of the timeline surrounding Dec. 7, 1941, a “date which will live in infamy” as American president Franklin D. Roosevelt famously described it.

Barcroft said they have exclusive access to American and Japanese survivors who are more than 100 years old, and that the series will use the actual naval communications from the time.

Channel 5 will broadcast a 3 x 60-minute version of the series for the UK and Ireland, while Barcroft retains the rights for the US and Canada. Peter Wyles will executive produce the series for Barcroft Studios.

“Pearl Harbor is one of the greatest stories of the Second World War and to piece it together minute by minute is a gripping narrative,” said Guy Davies, commissioning editor factual for Channel 5, in a news release.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Will27 said:

How're you finding Chasing Ghislaine?

I liked the Filthy Rich series but CG has some dreadful reviews.

Its only a 3-part doc - I watched the last 30 mins last night, thought it was interesting, it had lots of backstory about Robert Maxwell that I was unaware of, but in the end was just another expose of Epstein but not always about the details regarding trafficking, I guess more about his financial dealings and a fair amount of conspiracy theories.

The deal breaker for US Documentaries for me, when it comes to narration, if its the same deep voiced guy who repeats the past segment after every ad-break, its not for me, but the narrator / presenter was a British journalist working for Vanity Fair, who had been covering the Epstein story for more than 20 years.

I have another documentary Epstein's Shadow to watch which was mentioned here in the past.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Takes me a few coffees before the brain kicks in seedy--- so do you mean ---um---ahh---sorry what do you mean ?..........:coffee1:

USA knew before 7 Dec - they let it happen.

Ample evidence for this.

As with 9/11 - aircraft hit the Pentagon, yet did not knock down any lamp poles ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Its only a 3-part doc - I watched the last 30 mins last night, thought it was interesting, it had lots of backstory about Robert Maxwell that I was unaware of, but in the end was just another expose of Epstein but not always about the details regarding trafficking, I guess more about his financial dealings and a fair amount of conspiracy theories.

The deal breaker for US Documentaries for me, when it comes to narration, if its the same deep voiced guy who repeats the past segment after every ad-break, its not for me, but the narrator / presenter was a British journalist working for Vanity Fair, who had been covering the Epstein story for more than 20 years.

I have another documentary Epstein's Shadow to watch which was mentioned here in the past.

If you like watching stuff on Epstein, you might enjoy Catch and Kill about Harvey Weinstein.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14849236/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Will27 said:

If you like watching stuff on Epstein, you might enjoy Catch and Kill about Harvey Weinstein.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14849236/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Cheers,. I have it (to watch), lol .. most of my files download themselves automatically, through lists of top 5 HBO shows, top 5 Netflix movies, top 5 new movie releases, etc .. I didnt realize what it was. I will get to watching it.

• Like 1

Belfast---

Movie--Directed Kenneth Branagh

I Enjoyed this....A boy (Kenneth Branagh) growing up in the late 60s in Belfast , when what the Irish quaintly called "The Troubles" were on.

Lots of well known stars in it--- I got from Rarbg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Belfast---

Movie--Directed Kenneth Branagh

I Enjoyed this....A boy (Kenneth Branagh) growing up in the late 60s in Belfast , when what the Irish quaintly called "The Troubles" were on.

Lots of well known stars in it--- I got from Rarbg

Black and White though, so I'm giving it a miss.

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I should have mentioned that "Most of it " is in monochrome , but Britman you watch foreign movies where you have to look at subs instead of taking in the full picture--I find that more distracting then not having color.

I was watching some of the Coen brothers crime movies last week----stand out one for me with Billy Bob Thornton -"The man who wasn't there"

They done it in monochrome also, because they set it i the 50s...& won the Best Director Award at the  Cannes Film Festival . 

Thanks @sanuk711 for the "Man who wasn't there" . Billy Bob & Coen Brothers is a good indicator that it will be good. Now added to my download list. Also "starred" Frances McDormand &James Gandolfini

On 12/2/2021 at 5:17 PM, Will27 said:

That's a shame.

That's one I'll be binge watching anyway.

I spoke too soon.

Ep. 1 is a waste, but just watched ep. 2 - it's miles away from ep. 1 and getting back to the Gomorra we remember.

Haven't seen more yet, but regretting I didn't already download ep. 3 so I could view it right now.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Haven't seen it yet, but I expect it is digital monochrome. 

Some years back (when cameras used something called film) I had a b&w photo lab, studied Ansel Adams' techniques, so I have an appreciation for it.  A few years ago there was a movie called "Roma" shot entirely in digital monochrome, blew me away! 

When I was a kid saw "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sim as Scrooge.  Those scenes in the graveyard scared the hell out little me, the effect would not have worked in color.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I spoke too soon.

Ep. 1 is a waste, but just watched ep. 2 - it's miles away from ep. 1 and getting back to the Gomorra we remember.

Haven't seen more yet, but regretting I didn't already download ep. 3 so I could view it right now.

That's good to hear.

Episodes 5 and 6 have just dropped as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The General (1998) is a cracking film that was shot in black and white.

It seems a bit strange at first but 10 minutes in, the movie is so good you just forget that it's B&W.

Edited by Will27
  • Thanks 2