New strain of Covid-19 from UK found in four Britons in quarantine

rooster59

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is the severity of the new strain any worse than the original?  Or is still only those with pre-existing conditions that are adversely affected?

"Unknown." "Unclear." Worrisome." Says: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/mutant-coronavirus-united-kingdom-sets-alarms-its-importance-remains-unclear

I give it 7 more days before Brits are banned. It was madness letting them arrive in the first place. 

UK should ban them traveling like Australia has its own citizens and we have the best numbers in the world. Gee wonder why? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, I just read up and found they are also used to isolate the pathogen and keep it from escaping from the room as well.

Until they ran out of negative pressure rooms this was the protocol for every infected person in Thailand.

Last month I read about someone who had been exposed to someone else who tested positive (a potential case) being isolated in a negative pressure room even though they hadn't tested positive, I guess they were practicing.

5 hours ago, Ratcher said:

I thought this "Mutant UK strain" was first discovered in South Africa ???

There's many mutant strains going around. The South African variant evolved in a population with an average age of 18 years, who does it infect - the young.

The one found in the UK infects everyone by the looks of it and is highly effective.

If you look at the infection charts going back a few months you can see that some countries had massive daily increases in infections long before the UK did. The new variant could have been going around since the summer.

My eye would be on France or Spain for the origin of this mutation, in time they will track it.

Sequenced and detected/discovered by UK scientists (basically I understand due to UK leading  the field in this research) the mutation  isn't home grown in the UK it's quiet endemic across many countries. And as the nature of viruses is to mutate, it's likely to appear notwithstanding any onwards transmission pursuant to its advanced nature. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They don't want to let the British mutant virus out into population,

its spreading like wildfire in UK, with 50,000 + cases per day.much

easier to be infected. what about the others on the flight they took ?

regards worgeordie

In theory, everyone else on the flight will be in quarantine and tested over the next 2 weeks 

so if they're infected with any strain of the virus it should be picked up.

13 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Always the fault of others with the English nationalists. Do not be surprised after you have become the laughing stock of the educated world, and the target of gibes.

This is the virus that originated in China , it doesnt matter where the Chinese virus mutated .

Does it matter where the person was standing, when the virus mutated ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Absolutely stunning.

Why haven't they banned all flights and passengers from the UK like most other countries?  

I am afraid the chickens are out of the coop. I bet you with in the next couple of weeks it will be in every country.

"Citing incoming travelers, Turkey becomes the 33rd country to find the virus variant first identified in Britain. "

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/01/world/covid-19-coronavirus-updates

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I am afraid the chickens are out of the coop. I bet you with in the next couple of weeks it will be in every country.

"Citing incoming travelers, Turkey becomes the 33rd country to find the virus variant first identified in Britain. "

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/01/world/covid-19-coronavirus-updates

Oh I understand - we have it here but if you break quarantine it's 6 months in jail and 750k fine.  In Thailand they pack these people on planes where it spreads and off they go if they're Thai.

It only takes one person to get it from quarantine outside and given its Thailand, the chances of it happening are extremely high.  

1 minute ago, Blumpie said:

Oh I understand - we have it here but if you break quarantine it's 6 months in jail and 750k fine.  In Thailand they pack these people on planes where it spreads and off they go if they're Thai.

It only takes one person to get it from quarantine outside and given its Thailand, the chances of it happening are extremely high.  

I understand your frustration, It is a very difficult situation and everyone is doing the best they can. I thought that Thais arriving in Thailand are quarantined also. 

The only way it will be resolved is by immunization through an effective vaccine.. 

Herd immunity as it was first adopted in the UK  and  and other countries , mostly for economic reasons IMO, is what gave as the Mutations, every time a person is infected there is a chance of a mutation. the more people getting infected to achieve herd immunity, the higher the chance for mutations. 

So here we are now. Stay safe and try to make it through the next months until you get your vaccine, and let's hope the vaccine is effective against the new strain. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I understand your frustration, It is a very difficult situation and everyone is doing the best they can. I thought that Thais arriving in Thailand are quarantined also. 

The only way it will be resolved is by immunization through an effective vaccine.. 

Herd immunity as it was first adopted in the UK  and  and other countries , mostly for economic reasons IMO, is what gave as the Mutations, every time a person is infected there is a chance of a mutation. the more people getting infected to achieve herd immunity, the higher the chance for mutations. 

So here we are now. Stay safe and try to make it through the next months until you get your vaccine, and let's hope the vaccine is effective against the new strain. 

I'm not afraid for myself, I am afraid for others.  I'm afraid for the people of Thailand who cannot afford these vaccines.  I'm afraid of the person who needs surgery and cannot get it there.  By and large, Thailand has seen literally nothing yet.  This may change.  And I worry about the security of the country if it does.

The numbers won't lie.

Again, I do hope that I'm wrong and would dance for joy if I am.

Take care.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think those that have died so far....would not have agreed with you,

i suppose your ego won't let you wear a mask....because you don't

believe in all the scaremongering ???? and your a macho man????.....

regards worgeordie????

I'm in the UK, life is pretty normal apart from pubs and restaurants closed. 

Supermarkets full, and people shopping for Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Virt said:

We do not know for sure it originated in China.

All we know is they had an outbreak and failed miserably to contain it.

According to this article it has been found in old sewer samples from 2019 in Spain, Italy and Brazil before the outbreak in China, so who knows where it came from? (maybe there has been more news after that article?)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-may-not-originated-143843488.html?guccounter=1

I just hope the world learned it's lesson this time, and hopefully in the future no country will ever try and hide any outbreaks of any kinds.

This is very interesting and should be read by all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They need to immediately ban all flights from the UK and US.

We do not want that filthy mutated virus that is reported to be more contagious in Thailand.

Stay away from here!

Most people come on flights via Dubai, Qatar, via Frankfurt, via Istanbul. Stopping flights from UK only wont do it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ratcher said:

I thought this "Mutant UK strain" was first discovered in South Africa ???

Let us not forget where this whole Pandemic started, CHINA not the UK or anywhere else. The whole world is suffering because of CHINA

The one in Africa is also highly infectious but it’s different.