I am allowed to help my wife on our farm of 6 rai?

I saw a recent list of jobs forbidden to foreigners. One of them was agriculture and fish farming. Well, I sometimes catch a fish in our pond for dinner so I guess that is allowed. However, I helped load some rice bags in my truck which have been stored for the future in our garage. I wanted to buy a net so that when it is time, I can run the net across the pond and collect the fish for market. Would this be risky for me to do? Should we hire some locals from the village for this job? I don't mind helping but don't want trouble with the labor department. I also have a few jobs to do like fitting some PVC pipes along the house to connect the new well to the storage tank and do other plumbing jobs to connect the new pump. I have also done all the PPR plastic pipe welding for the hot water system because our contractor was not familiar with this process and that was the only way I could get the pipe work completed. Everyone in the village saw me doing this job so I may be in trouble. 

I think that knowing that I might get deported, might make it easier for me to tell my Thai wife to hire a local to to the farm jobs since everyone in the village can see me from the road if I am working around the farm. Please let me know how serious this issue because I have been working as a marine engineer in Phuket for 3 years and just gave up my work permit after three years of employment. Now more or less retired in Chiang Khan on a marriage visa living in our new house just completed on the farm.

OP, you would have to be very stiff to be dobbed in doing what you describe.

If you read the DIY forum there are guys there building concrete walls to dams on their properties. I'm far more conservative.

Personally I wouldn't do it.

Having said that, recently purchased a townhouse in bkk and plan to do work inside as qualified to do so and frankly I'm finding it difficult to find contractors. 

In any event some my work is behind closed doors. Yours is not.

Up to you as they say here. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

you still have to be careful even if it's indoors, one of my friends was redecorating his condo, closed doors but had to drill a couple holes and here they came and told to immediately stop,  fined 60 K or be deported... who turn him in ???? anybody's guess  555

How many years ago was this, out of interest? The law has changed a couple of years ago and it's now more clear that if you're doing work that doesn't earn you any income, it's no longer considered work. 

I would say whatever OP is doing for their own property is OK, but not e.g. catching fish for commercial purposes. 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, thaisail said:

I saw a recent list of jobs forbidden to foreigners. One of them was agriculture and fish farming. Well, I sometimes catch a fish in our pond for dinner so I guess that is allowed. However, I helped load some rice bags in my truck which have been stored for the future in our garage. I wanted to buy a net so that when it is time, I can run the net across the pond and collect the fish for market. Would this be risky for me to do? Should we hire some locals from the village for this job? I don't mind helping but don't want trouble with the labor department. I also have a few jobs to do like fitting some PVC pipes along the house to connect the new well to the storage tank and do other plumbing jobs to connect the new pump. I have also done all the PPR plastic pipe welding for the hot water system because our contractor was not familiar with this process and that was the only way I could get the pipe work completed. Everyone in the village saw me doing this job so I may be in trouble. 

I think that knowing that I might get deported, might make it easier for me to tell my Thai wife to hire a local to to the farm jobs since everyone in the village can see me from the road if I am working around the farm. Please let me know how serious this issue because I have been working as a marine engineer in Phuket for 3 years and just gave up my work permit after three years of employment. Now more or less retired in Chiang Khan on a marriage visa living in our new house just completed on the farm.

You can don't overthink things... helping the wife is always ok 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

You can don't overthink things... helping the wife is always ok 

Not in Phuket, there was a guy helping his wife to carry stuff to a market stall he eventually got lifted for it

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I used to help out on the families farm, clearing the overgrowth, carrying the seed and fertilizer out to the field. The Thais that drove passed were surprised to see a sweat soaked, red ant bitten farang working. Something many of them had never seen before. The police drove by one day and I tried to be invisible, but they just waved and continued on their way. I think it all depends on your location. Years ago I read here on this forum (yes, I know) of a guy who got nicked for going behind the bar of his families bar to change the music. There seemed to be some bad feeling between his family and the owner of the bar across the street. He thought it was a setup.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:13 AM, thaisail said:

Of course you can help her as long as you are not paid for it.

The general idea of forbidding work without permit, is to keep the jobs for Thai people.

• Like 2

Just now, fakser said:

Of course you can help her as long as you are not paid for it.

The general idea of forbidding work without permit, is to keep the jobs for Thai people.

I didn't think a farang could do that type of work as his wife is doing it to make money...

Same as farangs cannot help out in a wife's bar/restaurant...

I talked to my lawyer about this before I carried out renovations/re-modelling at my home.  I'd heard several stories on the subject - some of them on Thai Visa.  One said that you could paint the inside of your garden wall for example but not the outside.  I thought this sounded ridiculous but wanted to make sure before I carried out work on my house.

My lawyer agreed that it was ridiculous but said he had heard of people being arrested for similar things.  He had not however, heard of any such case being taken to court and said they would almost certainly fail.  The Thai labour laws are there to protect Thai jobs and the courts are fully aware of that. He also said that the police know why the laws are in place and you can make your own mind up as to the purpose of any arrest.

To translate what he told me to your situation would go like this:

The Thai labour laws relate to employment. Employment means something gainful - whether that be monetary or advantageous.  An officer may report you for prosecution but he would have to prove to the court that your actions were employment in the sense that either yourself or another had gained other than in domestic circumstances, to the detriment of a Thai citizen.

To put that in plain terms:

You can grow vegetables for your own or your family's consumption but you cannot in any way assist in the growing of vegetables for sale or any other form of gain.  In your case living on a farm, you can carry out repairs to your house etc. but you cannot carry out any repairs on any building or land that is used for commercial purposes.  Let's say that your farm has an office within your house, you cannot carry out repairs to that office.

I hope that clarifies things.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, Mavideol said:

you still have to be careful even if it's indoors, one of my friends was redecorating his condo, closed doors but had to drill a couple holes and here they came and told to immediately stop,  fined 60 K or be deported... who turn him in ???? anybody's guess  555

That is twenty levels beyond iname. How is it possible to even process such a lack of common sense, reasoning and just basic humanity?

• Haha 1

@thaisail

If the work is for your own family use such as catching one or two fishes for your own dinner, then it's alright.

But if the work is to earn money for your family, that's illegal work.

Edited by EricTh