British nationals could be barred from entering Thailand under new proposals

webfact

31 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How did those 4 Brits manage to come into Thailand in the first place with all the Covid-free certs?

I suspect that you can get a fake Covid cert in UK especially since those 4 are in the same family.

Don't forget, 90+% come in a covid free and stay that way. There will be aq few who slip though the net - infected just before testing and it shows up as negative, or false negative tests. 

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

Astra Zeneca have a facility in Thailand ready to produce the Oxford vaccine as soon

as it gets approval.

AZ are an independent pharmaceutical company selling a vaccine to whoever they want.

The thoughts of an angry Thai visa subscriber will not change that fact!

The first millions of doses are being shipped in from the UK.

The factory in Thailand is ready to go already? Are you sure on that? Normally they produce it before it's licensed and build up a massive stockpile.

If they're not producing it already then it's not due to licensing.

It's astounding that it took this long for them to figure it out.  Many other civilized countries have done the same thing long ago.  

The rate of transmission where the UK has tens of thousands of cases is nothing short of horrifying.  

4 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

It's astounding that it took this long for them to figure it out.  Many other civilized countries have done the same thing long ago.  

The rate of transmission where the UK has tens of thousands of cases is nothing short of horrifying.  

Yes, it's amazing really, the UK numbers right now (~57 to 58k per day) match the French numbers from November 2020.

Why is is that France had such a massive spike in new infections 1 month before Kent in the UK had an outbreak of the new 'UK Variant' of the virus?

What's the place in the UK which is most connected to France? Where did the new strain originate?

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

An ill thought-through knee jerk reaction.

What's the point in quarantine then?  The cases discovered so far were in quarantine so it did its job. Given that this new strain of the virus is already present in several other countries and will amlost certainly be worldwide soon, will they stop quarantine and ban the world again?

Many of the countries that banned travel from the UK did so as an immediare precaution - they had no quarantine in place.  Some have now removed the ban and implemented a quarantine requirement, others now require testing.

• Like 1

Has anyone considered that some of the family were dual-Nationals* rather than purely British? At this moment in time it seems strange to drag a family through all of these procedures for some holiday/visit - extended or not. So to fit the Thai narrative calling the infected British is in relation to residency/passport as a convenience? (And yes, I do realise this is my speculation.)

Also, this "British covid mutation" has now been traced to many countries months before the UK announced it. So on examination more countries could be added to the banned list. Not that I can foresee many travelling long haul for maybe 12 months at the soonest.

(*And if they were Thai they would not be required to go through the same tests/requirements to get on the flight as a "Farang." From what I've read, the fit to fly certificate can be issued after a video-call rather than a physical appointment?) 

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

An ill thought-through knee jerk reaction.

What's the point in quarantine then?  The cases discovered so far were in quarantine so it did its job. Given that this new strain of the virus is already present in several other countries and will amlost certainly be worldwide soon, will they stop quarantine and ban the world again?

Many of the countries that banned travel from the UK did so as an immediare precaution - they had no quarantine in place.  Some have now removed the ban and implemented a quarantine requirement, others now require testing.

I'm sorry it hasn't been widely done.  

I know where I live, they do allow them in under special circumstances but they are immediately taken to quarantine.  IT's not at all for anything other than critical travel.  And all flights from the UK have been banned.  

1 minute ago, moobie said:

Has anyone considered that some of the family were dual-Nationals* rather than purely British? At this moment in time it seems strange to drag a family through all of these procedures for some holiday/visit - extended or not. So to fit the Thai narrative calling the infected British is in relation to residency/passport as a convenience? (And yes, I do realise this is my speculation.)

Also, this "British covid mutation" has now been traced to many countries months before the UK announced it. So on examination more countries could be added to the banned list. Not that I can foresee many travelling long haul for maybe 12 months at the soonest.

(*And if they were Thai they would not be required to go through the same tests/requirements to get on the flight as a "Farang." From what I've read, the fit to fly certificate can be issued after a video-call rather than a physical appointment?) 

I don't think that many people are travelling in a global pandemic.  With regards to all countries earth wide, travel is simply not recommended and this is why.

IT's incredibly frustrating particularly when someone is sick but unfortunately countries can slam the door shut with no notice, or change entry requirements with little to no notice.  Or in the case of Thailand, many times over and over again the same day.  

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Its usually better if you read the headline story before commenting on a topic.

The family in quarantine should not travel - they had the virus because they did not test positive at the time.  It can be a tremendous burden on the health care system.  

Travel at this time is very dangerous indeed, and the unknowns of the disease far outweigh what they know, particularly this strain.

That is why 50 plus countries have banned flights from countries from the UK and have significantly tightened entry requirements from anyone even going near the UK in the last 14 plus days.  

I'm not interested in discussing why all these countries have taken the extraordinary step in doing it with you - they've done it via medical professionals from around the world.  It's not done lightly.  And given Thailand who have done an amazing job keeping the virus at bay wants it kept out at all costs, that is their prerogative to do so and nobody else's.  

11 minutes ago, moobie said:

Fit to fly certificate is a useless piece of paper,  AFAIK no other country requires this, only Thailand. Fit to fly means basically you don't have temperature and can stand on your feet.

RT-PCR tests are a different story.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Public health has said it will now ask the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) to approve the ban on arrivals from the UK

So that includes ANY nationality coming from the UK, including Thai nationals wanting to return? 

Or is the new virus clever enough to only infect British people? LOL!

Just now, madmen said:

UK must shut its borders immediately. What the hell is wrong with these people? 50 k a day but let's go and have a little holiday somewhere exotic anyway! 

I agree.

It's astoundingly irresponsible for any country to continue on as normal when things like new variants shoot up without understanding what is happening.  

It's also astoundingly irresponsible to assume that tourism will be at all normal until people are vaccinated.  Notice how those news stories are suddenly absent from Thailand?  High end tourists?  There aren't any.  Furthermore, China will view any national dimly if they bring that garbage back into China while drinking a cocktail on some deserted beach in Thailand.  I do mean very dimly.  That's why Chinese are not going to Thailand.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, robblok said:

I see the point of banning people from the Uk to get in countries where there is no quarantine. The strain is just really bad and it thriving in the UK. 

But Thailand has state quarantine so what is the problem. Are they afraid that their standards are not up to spec ? I mean the precautions in the state quarantine are quite good tests are done and people kept isolated. 

I don't see why they should exclude Brits in this country. 

Except without Brits there would be a whole lot less complaining going on... ????

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Thailand who have done an amazing job keeping the virus at bay wants it kept out at all costs, that is their prerogative to do so and nobody else's.  

You are still not listening.  The family in question were found to have the virus during quarantine - thus Thailand's measures have worked in keeping this new strain of the virus out.  People travelling from the UK will have had 3 negative PCR tests before they were released from quarantine - again, what is the point in quarantine if you are then going to impose even stricter bans (if that's what they do) on people from some nations?

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

UK must shut its borders immediately. What the hell is wrong with these people? 50 k a day but let's go and have a little holiday somewhere exotic anyway! 

An exotic holiday hmmmm - possibly not all that enticing at the moment.  I'd wager that the majority of Brits are travelling to see wives and families.  But I'd remind you that ALL visitors must clear quarantine.

39 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

they had the virus because they did not test positive at the time.  It can be a tremendous burden on the health care system.

Can you please explain the first sentence? It doesn't make any sense at all.  As for the second - what burden?  Are you not aware of the insurance requirements for travellers to Thailand?

Edited by KhaoYai

After Brexit, now Thexit? The day will come when Thailand must deal with new strains, not just the B117.

We're not talking about days now, it's about a few months. Nobody knows it yet. 

The beginning of the New Year  2021 is not a good one. 

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You are still not listening.  The family in question were found to have the virus during quarantine - thus Thailand's measures have worked in keeping this new strain of the virus out.  People travelling from the UK will have had 3 negative PCR tests before they travelled - again, what is the point in quarantine if you are then going to impose even stricter bans (if that's what they do) on people from some nations?

Thailand, countries all over this planet, et all, are not making decisions based on this silly single case listed in an independent news story.  If you are interested in splitting hairs, that is up to you.  You need to hook another fish.  And I do hope that if you do, somehow, somewhere, the inhumanity of imposing a travel ban and your resultant frustration can be projected on that fish, or rather person posting rather than acceptance that Thailand may ban british nationals and not someone on a keyboard far far away.

So in a way, you are not listening.  

You win.  In reality, I really don't care because you are talking about the mud puddle, I"m talking about the ocean. 

Have a good evening or day wherever you are.