Drivers License Renewal During COVID

bobonzo

My Thai DL expires the end of January. I had been reading that the License Department did not want people coming to the office and they should use the online services. Well, the online services are only for Thai Citizens. So we called them up and were told that we should go to the office in person and book an appointment. We were also told that the next testing slots available were in March. As my license expires this month, we were told I would be given some kind of 'permit to drive' due to COVID, etc etc.

Has anyone experienced anything similar ?

Thanks

OP, I hope you obtain some suggestions. 

I'm in even worse situation. 

I obtained residence certificate some time back in order to obtain my first Thai DL, then find out that bookings were unavailable for quite some time. 

Literally getting my 'stuff' together to go to MTT this week and then read your post.

The RC has life span I think one month.

Perhaps consult agent such as Fatboys. As I understand it you still require all correct docs but they 'can obtain' appointment slot. 

Does anyone know if I can buy an international DL until things settle. I'm on annual extensions so realize I should obtain Thai DL. I have a current Oz DL.

Good luck OP. I'm sure someone will have suggestion for your situation.

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I hope you obtain some suggestions. 

I'm in even worse situation. 

I obtained residence certificate some time back in order to obtain my first Thai DL, then find out that bookings were unavailable for quite some time. 

Literally getting my 'stuff' together to go to MTT this week and then read your post.

The RC has life span I think one month.

Perhaps consult agent such as Fatboys. As I understand it you still require all correct docs but they 'can obtain' appointment slot. 

Does anyone know if I can buy an international DL until things settle. I'm on annual extensions so realize I should obtain Thai DL. I have a current Oz DL.

Good luck OP. I'm sure someone will have suggestion for your situation.

I am sure that the RC has a 12 month life span, the medical certificate is one month, not sure where you are but I just walked into the Banglamung office last week and did mine.

3 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

I am sure that the RC has a 12 month life span, the medical certificate is one month, not sure where you are but I just walked into the Banglamung office last week and did mine.

Thanks. I'm in Bangkok so will need to go to MTT. 

I'm just chasing threads now on Thaivisa to see if I could obtain a international driver's license just as a bridge.

12 hours ago, dodgybros said:

Turns out it's valid for one month. Ridiculous.

Also as I understand it currently DL tests has been cancelled. 

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks. I'm in Bangkok so will need to go to MTT. 

I'm just chasing threads now on Thaivisa to see if I could obtain a international driver's license just as a bridge.

International driving permit (its not a license), is to use your Thai license in another country, its nothing to do with driving in Thailand.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

International driving permit (its not a license), is to use your Thai license in another country, its nothing to do with driving in Thailand.

How serious is it to drive in Thailand showing my Oz license if stopped. I realize it's not legal. Just a fine or more serious? 

I'm not doing the pity me card, it's just that Thai DL tests are not being carried out currently (my understanding).

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

How serious is it to drive in Thailand showing my Oz license if stopped. I realize it's not legal. Just a fine or more serious? 

I'm not doing the pity me card, it's just that Thai DL tests are not being carried out currently (my understanding).

In theory your oz licenses is legal, you may get the odd police will also want to see an accompanying IDP  (issued in oz) as well but most should just accept your oz license.

(technically, after 90 days you are supposed to stop using home license and get a thai one but police wont know your immigration status)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

In theory your oz licenses is legal, you may get the odd police will also want to see an accompanying IDP  (issued in oz) as well but most should just accept your oz license.

(technically, after 90 days you are supposed to stop using home license and get a thai one but police wont know your immigration status)

Thanks Peter. Yes I knew about the 90 days. 

It has always surprised me that over last 10yrs I have been able to rent cars at the Thai airports just with my Oz car license and was never asked for Thai DL or international permit.

My problem during those years was that I never had done a 90 day report due to out/in Thailand every month. To obtain RC in Bangkok you need to have done a 90 day report at some point. Now I finally have done reports (due to covid) and can obtain a RC the offices are not doing license issue. Not complaining, just is what it is.

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, yodsak said:

They're not doing them at Banglamung.    I went on Monday and they said you now need 1 hour training for renewal of 5 year license.  

you watch a video

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bobonzo said:

We were also told that the next testing slots available were in March. As my license expires this month, we were told I would be given some kind of 'permit to drive' due to COVID, etc etc.

Thanks

Where are you going to do it? I went to Bangchak in Bangkok in early July and got an appointment for mid-September. There's an appointment slip (which I actually had to fill in myself) that they said you could show the police.

There was a guy I know who did the renewal at the same time and he'd just walked in that morning. I think some people cancel slots and they'll let walk-ins take them. I'd always just been put in with a group of Thais in the past but they separate the foreigners now. The video is in Thai but has really <deleted> English subtitles. I'd actually done the video online like Thais can but they wouldn't accept that.

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks Peter. Yes I knew about the 90 days. 

It has always surprised me that over last 10yrs I have been able to rent cars at the Thai airports just with my Oz car license and was never asked for Thai DL or international permit.

My problem during those years was that I never had done a 90 day report due to out/in Thailand every month. To obtain RC in Bangkok you need to have done a 90 day report at some point. Now I finally have done reports (due to covid) and can obtain a RC the offices are not doing license issue. Not complaining, just is what it is.

I used just my oz license for 2 years with no problems at all.

Print out section 42 of the Thai traffic act and keep in your wallet.

Section 42-2

In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

if you have an accident and you don't have a Thai or an IDL from Oz you are in deep <deleted> 

6 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

I went to the License Dept today (BTS BangChak) in Bangkok, went straight up to the information window and showed my license with the expiry date. The guy gave me the attached slip of paper.

That was pretty much it. No drama as he apparently knew the deal.

appointement slip.jpg

Just now I was in chat with car/bike DL agent close to bang chak. She states that for me to obtain the Residence Certificate and they can get an appointment. 

Only relating the chat. 

I need to replace my 5yr driving license. I just got back from getting my residence cert at immigration, MTT Bangkok. They said they would send the certificate by mail to my home. They also gave me a reference number for an appointment at Mor Chit, and told me to check online for my appointment.

Could this be the appointment to get my new license? I thought I had to go to Mor Chit to do that.

Just opened a new thread with  this a few hours ago.

The guy at the DLT told me the certificate of residence was good for a year.

I'd also heard it was 1 month.

"Hi all,

Went to renew my license today.

I needed to watch the video first.

The place where they show the video is different from the DLT and they said the "big man" had suspended operations due to COVID.

Confirmed this with the DLT and was told that driving with an expired license was OK "no problem with police"

Not sure if there will be "no problem" with the insurance company if there is an accident.

But thinking about it, there were lots of Thais getting licences.

Asked my wife and she said they could watch the video online to get a license.

But the video/website was only in Thai.

My buddy said he had to watch it at the DLT and it was in Thai, no English version too, so I don't really see the issue.

Anyone know anything about this.

Guess I could go back to the DLT to ask but I'm thinking this might be more effective since he didn't mention it to me when I was there."

23 hours ago, bobonzo said:

My Thai DL expires the end of January. I had been reading that the License Department did not want people coming to the office and they should use the online services. Well, the online services are only for Thai Citizens. So we called them up and were told that we should go to the office in person and book an appointment. We were also told that the next testing slots available were in March. As my license expires this month, we were told I would be given some kind of 'permit to drive' due to COVID, etc etc.

Thanks

You have up to one year to renew your DL after it expires, my one expired back in May 2020, just renewed it on 27th Dec, valid till May 2026.

24 minutes ago, LennyW said:

You have up to one year to renew your DL after it expires, my one expired back in May 2020, just renewed it on 27th Dec, valid till May 2026.

yes, Sorry, I neglected to mention that as well.  The guy who gave me the appointment slip said that.

Thanks

On 1/5/2021 at 5:17 PM, bobonzo said:

Thanks

Trat :Back in June i had to go with required docs so they could check them, then given an appointment for 4 days later. I think because of social distancing they are now limited to the number of people inside waiting area and video room, when they close for lunch you must wait outside with tent and fan.

16 hours ago, Psychic said:

My buddy said he had to watch it at the DLT and it was in Thai, no English version too, so I don't really see the issue.

As a Falang I was put in a separate room alone, to watch the vid with English subs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just completed driving licence renewal at Nonthaburi following earlier visit to MTT to arrange to receive confirmation of residence letter. After usual training video and aptitude tests my renewed licence was issued without any complications, the bonus being that I got 6 years not 5.

https://www.matichon.co.th/economy/news_2516605

"กรมการขนส่งทางบก ขอความร่วมมือสำนักงานตำรวจแห่งชาติผ่อนผันการบังคับใช้กฎหมาย ใบขับขี่ที่สิ้นอายุแล้วยังใช้ได้ถึง 31 มี.ค. 64 พร้อมเปิดมาตรการเยียวยาคนใบขับขี่หมดอายุ"

Roughly translated:

Department of Land Transport Ask for cooperation from the Royal Thai Police to waive law enforcement The expired driver's license is still valid until March 31, 64,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mason45 said:

Can anyone tell me if the Bangkok Province Land Transport Offices are open or closed during this current Covid lockdown. As I need to renew my car registration in a few days time. Cheers.

Was that an open or closed. Cheers.