Thailand orders a further 35 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine

snoop1130

18 hours ago, YetAnother said:

half way there; assuming the usual thai supply chain, in this case the end point being a jab of actually effective vaccine 

What, are there fake vaccines?  Thorough and reliable studies have SHOWN that these vaccines are 70% to 95% effective. And let me be perhaps the first to enlighten you - this is NOT the "usual" Thai supply chain. These are life saving vaccines which will certainly be regarded, handled, and distributed with that in mind. They will be distributed from supplier directly to medical facilities in special refrigerated vehicles. This is a national crisis which has 100% of EVERYONE's attention, or didn't you notice? 

Just shows how heavily reliant Thailand is on migrant workers, it is prepared to vaccinate the majority of its population so it can continue to import these workers.

Hopefully this will tip the government in to also opening its borders to mass tourism. We can dream.

Question, when or if it will be available to farangs?

Apparently they plan to hand off the Chinese variant to the "guest workers", I.e. Burmese and Cambodian residents, mostly.

Many of us farangs are a bit "long in the tooth", and so more vulnerable.

Seems a $20.00 jab would be better insurance than the $100,000 health policy required of some.

3 hours ago, ericdiam said:

The first AZ order in November and now second all will be produced here in Thailand by Siam Pharmaceuticals 

Are you sure about that? I think it's the other company; Siam Bioscience (owned by the .....) The company your quoting above;  Sino Biopharmaceutical Ltd., a unit of Thai conglomerate Charoen Pokphand Group, invested $515 million in Sinovac in December. (Chinese vaccine.)

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

200 million or 2 million?

In any case assuming Thailand will be doing production under COVAX agreements probably most is for export. 

If you had read the link I posted, I'm sure you would have been able to answer your own question; 200 Million ????

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I asked Bangkok Pattaya Hospital this week.  Reply in full;

"

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

In response to your inquiry about vaccination, please be informed that it is unavailable at BPH at this time. 

Also, the Thai government has already placed their order for COVID-19 vaccine but it may not yet be available in Thailand for several months until the last quarter of 2021.  The social criteria is unknown at the moment, and has to be planned and decided once it is commercially available here.

Should there be any updates, the Thai Government will provide more details accordingly.

If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

"

'the social criteria'. ? That will be all the politicians gov workers and other such who will get it first ! And last quarter ( October ?)   Pathetic country

30 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Are you sure about that? I think it's the other company; Siam Bioscience (owned by the .....) The company your quoting above;  Sino Biopharmaceutical Ltd., a unit of Thai conglomerate Charoen Pokphand Group, invested $515 million in Sinovac in December. (Chinese vaccine.)

They can shove their Chinese vaccine where the sun doesn't shine 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Only an unreasonable idiot would disagree with a simple measure of protecting vulnerable (98% deaths ) and let the rest of life continue 

You mean all the world leaders?, you may in fact be right.

21 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I must admit to being baffled. Surely Thailand has committed to building a new vaccine production facility, you know the one announced with big fanfare, "we are the big boys of SE Asia, and we will save you all". Other countries in the region were relying on Thailand to have this facility up and running this year as promised, but now Thailand is ordering 35 million doses from AZ instead of manufacturing them. 

AZ signed an agreement some months ago with Siam Bioscience to supply Thailand and other SE Asean countries perhaps the first ordered batch ic coming direct from AZ and the rest from the Bangkok manufacturing plant

6 hours ago, Percy P said:

Hope there no such thing as good or bad  vaccine .It all has to be approved.. 

When it comes to the Chinese yes it all has to be approved?  But what method and process is being use?  Right now their data is mixed and incomplete those in South America who also love the Chinese has spoken out that the data isn't all there?  It is all about transparency where are the people who has spoken out?  Where is Jack Ma?  with all his billions he is <deleted> scared right now! Tough to believe the data with their history the CCP can approve anything they want.  Now Sino 70% or Pfizer 95%? 

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

I guess you need to find better sources than stormfront and parler then.

And what is your source my comments were taken from an article fresh off the press from T.V. yesterday that the 200,000 from Sino will be given first to the Migrants that is pretty clear to me now if you have something different " stormfront and parler " enlighten us all!

Be my guess brave man to be first in line to volunteer for the Chinese vaccine!  or better yet how about the Russians?  Step up or step back!

16 hours ago, rbkk said:

Production has begun, at the Thai facility, with a yearly target of 200 Million doses. It was reported here yesterday. 

Yay for Thailand, sounds GREAT! Hope for the sake of ALL of Thailand that they are telling the truth, those who have lived here, know too well how the headlines change alarmingly from day to day ????, just need to hope they (Gov) will see the 100% common sense in making these vaccines available QUICKLY to protect everyone, even the whinging pom's, but especially the poor Thai people, who need their jobs and economy back and thriving. 

I hope airports and borders are covid testing ALL arrivals and not just using temp guns. 

6 hours ago, Phulublub said:

A reasonably balanced article on who is, and who is not, seeking immediate or longer temr profits from vaccine:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/astrazeneca-puts-a-time-limit-its-covid-19-no-profit-pledge-report

Well that article which is from October 2020 is headlined "AstraZeneca puts a time limit on its COVID-19 'no-profit' pledge"

Firstly, things have changed a lot since October, and secondly why wouldn't they impose a time limit?

Hopefully within a reasonable time frame, if the vaccination efforts succeed, Covid will be relegated to "just another virus" at which time drug companies will revert to being what they are: commercial entities working in the real world.

Don't forget that it's their past profits which have allowed them to make this vax free at all.

I used to have a "thing" against "Big Pharma" but seeing as how their products are keeping me alive, I would be very hypocritical to oppose them now.

9 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

easy ... 69.500.000 thai population

65 DIED over a year

millions of WUFLU tourists came into Thailand (2.000.000) to probably every corner of thailand till march 2020

we probably most / all would test positive to antibodies if the government actually did their job

the myanmar covid cluster, all new illegal into thailand or already here before covid started ?

how many of them died ?  are the hospitals full of them ?

100% agree, but unfortunately this is common sense thinking which isn't that common this day and age anymore.

• Like 1

FYI. On December the 8th the BBC reported a study in the Lancet and stated:

"The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed".

The researchers actually wrote:

"ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 has an acceptable safety profile and has been found to be efficacious against symptomatic COVID-19 in this interim analysis of ongoing clinical trials."

This interim analysis was funded by CEPI and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The analysis was based upon trials which are years from completion and haven’t actually reported anything.

The researchers also stated:

"There were no peer-reviewed publications available on efficacy of any severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) vaccines…"

19 hours ago, dave s said:

Biden announced a goal of 100 million doses (50 million people) administered in the first 100 days. So far they have managed less than half of that.

If by less than half you mean 5% then you are correct at a current total of 5.05 million doses 

On 1/5/2021 at 10:03 PM, kebabby said:

Astrazeneca are doing it as a no-loss and no-profit exercise. My friend in the UK is in charge of compliance systems over this.

put the boot on the other foot , if it was thailand manufacturing the 63 million doses to uk do you think thailand would do it at cost ? not a chance they would try to screw as much money out of farlang as they could , and could you trust if it was the real vaccine or a fake  copy 

1 hour ago, hottrader77 said:

put the boot on the other foot , if it was thailand manufacturing the 63 million doses to uk do you think thailand would do it at cost ? not a chance they would try to screw as much money out of farlang as they could , and could you trust if it was the real vaccine or a fake  copy 

OH what a wonderful view of our hosts you have. 

I don’t know how true it is, but you are forgetting that high up Thai people are quite capable of thinking long term. ???? 

On 1/5/2021 at 11:21 PM, Phuketshrew said:

Says it all really .... Vaccines from 7/11 anyone?

You'd have to be brave to accept the Sinovac. Not peer reviewed, abbreviated phase testing. The danger is growing two heads, four eyes and the willy dropping off. They know where they can stick their vax !!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 5:58 PM, shdmn said:

So sounds like it's mostly being done for export and profit.

Given that AstraZeneca have pledged that their sales of the vaccine will be on a not for profit basis until at least when the pandemic is over, I can't see them agreeing to let someone producing it under licence do so at a profit.

If the Thai firm try making money out of the vaccine, I think they will face legal action.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangkocker said:

You'd have to be brave to accept the Sinovac. Not peer reviewed, abbreviated phase testing. The danger is growing two heads, four eyes and the willy dropping off. They know where they can stick their vax !!

I think they could have a problem with that vaccine - I asked my wife if she would have it, absolutely not!  Chan-o-Cha may cosy up to the Chinese but its not a sentiment echoed by much of the population.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Given that AstraZeneca have pledged that their sales of the vaccine will be on a not for profit basis until at least when the pandemic is over, I can't see them agreeing to let someone producing it under licence do so at a profit.

If the Thai firm try making money out of the vaccine, I think they will face legal action.

I just gave one possible reason why they are exporting 90% of what they make.  Someone else here suggested that they had to agree to export a certain amount to other SE Asian countries so that's another possible explanation.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1