USA Citizens in Bangkok: Did you get your stimulus check in the mail?

ricklev

6 hours ago, J Town said:

I received both stimulus "checks" via direct deposit, the $600 on 1 January. I suggest filing your taxes electronically. Save paper, get such checks quickly.

I file my taxes electronically through Turbotax every year and pay electronically through eftps.gov.  So, they have all my bank information.  Why do they still send a check to me through snail mail?

On 1/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, ricklev said:

I just used the IRS tool "Get my Payment"  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment  and learned my check will be mailed on the 6th of this month.  I got the first one through the snap of my postman and condo front desk staff since the IRS address system deemed my condo room number and full street address not needed due to too damn many letters and numbers for them to handle.  

Please post here if you get yours so I can ask the postman and staff to keep a lookout around the right time.  

Thanks.

Exactly the same info from Get My Payment, scheduled to be mailed Jan. 6. I'd give it 3 weeks. Should be here by end of Jan. The first one took longer if I remember but the mail situation seems to have eased a bit.

On 1/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, connda said:

Just curious.  Are you still getting ACH transfers.  I thought that was long gone?

Not as domestic transfer from your US bank to your Thai bank (thru BKK NY) in Thailand. SS and IRS direct deposit, yes.

Edited by The Theory

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Just curious.  Anyone get their check in the mail in Thailand yet?

Get my Payment says check was mailed Jan. 6. But not got it here yet. Btw, this thread in the home country forum might be the right one to follow:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1159075-americans-have-you-received-your-virus-stimulus-check-from-trump-yet/

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 11:50 PM, RobPhuket said:

Is it possible to deposit US checks in Thailand or do i have to mail them back to my bank in the US?

The $1200 check last year which I received by mail here in Thailand I was able to deposit into my US bank ac. by scanning an uploading an image. Check your online ac. - should have the same facility.

First check arrived after a month it was mailed.

Deposited at Bkk Bank HQ Silom office (about 500 baht fee) and in a month they credit your account in baht.

Second check was mailed on 6 Jan, but still waiting to get it.

Last 13 years I have filed US taxes but no refund was due and they never added my US based bank account.

IRS stimulus website did not allow me to add my US bank account.

I usually file married filing separately and most online tax programs want wife ITIN or SS# to file if married.

This year I will file married jointly, but when requesting ITIN first time for Thai wife, need to file via paper. 

Now I have son and can get child tax credit only of file married jointly. Also they owe $500 for first stimulus payment for my son. Now I'm waiting if I get $600 or $1200 (include my son) before filing 2020 taxes on paper.

You can claim tax refund if they missed/lost your 1st or 2nd stimulus checks and give them US based bank account for future deposits. Child tax credit $1400 refundable, if you qualify. 

If democrats approve Biden new stimulus plan:

$300 monthly from July 2021 for a year for US child under age 6 for child tax credit deposited in US bank account. Their plan is to continue beyond 1 year. After 6 years of age $250 monthly.

$1400 direct payment for each child and adult US citizen. 

There are many restrictions to get refundable child credit, ie: if you claim foreign earned income exclusion, you can not claim child tax credit. If you or your wife yearly income is 0, you can not claim credit. All might change again with new stimulus programs/laws.

Edited by pon2007

I get my Social Security Retirement and my VA compensation both deposited electronically.  Not the stimulus check however.  In fact I'm still trying to run down where the last one for 600.  got rat holed.  I tried the IRS tool and they would not accept the last 8 of my credit card number for ID substantiation per their instructions.  Aggggghhhhhhh.

• 4 weeks later...

The next check is headed our way!

Payment Status
We scheduled your payment to be mailed on March 26, 2021 to the address we have on file for you.

We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.