Okay given for Bt300 foreign tourist entry fee

webfact

This is like all the other hair brained "announcements", its an announcement of an announcement of a proposal. 

Thais are very good at this, on first reading you take it as its going to happen, on second reading you realise its just floating an idea. (not to be taken literally)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I think every foreigner will have to pay it, not just ''tourists.'' I can't see the differentiating between different visa classes! 

Sadly, I think you are correct in expectation. Don't you just love how all long term visitors, residents and workers (except for neighbouring country workers) are classed as "tourists". Even though many of us have strong connections with Thailand such as a partner, family, home, business or job. I see the 300 Baht only being applied to "tourists" as a way to avoid complaint from Thai travellers departing or arriving back here.

Yeah, the bit about "insurance" needs clarifying, assuming this thing even gets off the ground. Probably doesn't even know himself what it means, just a good sound bite. What the article does say is that the money is going to the tourism promotion fund, how that fits in with insurance, you tell me.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The constant repetition of insulting state sponsored schemes to rid tourists of money just becomes tiresome.

Thailand is seriously hurting due to the absence of international tourist yet complete imbeciles are still trying to figure out ways to scheme more money from the very people it wants to attract. 

So often I’m astonished by the outrageously flawed mindset of those in positions who come up with this stuff. 

When I read news such as this I draw the opinion that Thailand doesn’t deserve tourists, but sadly it is the general population who would be hurt, while those in positions of power dream up more schemes from which to graft and skim funds.

In all countries there is an entry and exit fee collected as a tax on the airport charges.

I for one don't begrudge this charge.

20 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

"Phipat said the fee would help fund management and development of Thai tourism, as well as insurance for foreign tourists during their stay."

So what exactly does this "insurance" cover, i wonder ??

I think it 'insures' that the higher officials can buy a new motor or two and not have to worry about making repayments on time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nausea said:

Yeah, the bit about "insurance" needs clarifying, assuming this thing even gets off the ground. Probably doesn't even know himself what it means, just a good sound bite. What the article does say is that the money is going to the tourism promotion fund, how that fits in with insurance, you tell me.

There is a word in the OP, at the end of the first line of the first paragraph, that clarifies everything

PROPOSAL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 473geo said:

I'm far from a rich man but 300 baht is not going to have an effect on me, however there will be a cumulative benefit for Thailand

I don't begrudge 300 baht in these hard times

I tend to agree, its a small fee but just wish it was genuinely going to help people or do something useful but have this very dubious niggling doubt it will not arrive at the destination it was intended for!!! 

12 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I believe that is for airport fees, sometimes called PFC. Passenger facilities charge. I have heard of Airline staff who train it to Paris to avoid !

Those are charges imposed by indivual airports, and are included in the ticket price but usually itemised, the, considerably higher, APD, also included in the ticket price and itemised, is a Government Tax on all departing passengers, domestic and international. The APD has various bands, the further you fly, the more tax you're charged.
It's not just airline staff that travel to Europe to commence their flight, it has to be a seperate ticket, whereas we used to fly to the UK and usually have a side trip to Europe, we now fly to Europe and have a "side trip" to the UK, the savings are worth while, I suspect we're not alone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Phipat said the fee would help fund ... insurance for foreign tourists during their stay.

Wonderful news, so they can now drop the silly health insurance requirements for people with OA visas, and also the $100K Covid insurance.

...and then we'll all get on our flying pigs and ride off into the sunset, lol.

2 hours ago, bear9 said:

A holiday in Jamaica, The Maldives or even Dubai sounds much more appealing right now were all they require is a negative test result.

I don't think 8 quid ($us10) will stop people coming to Thailand---Thailand was one of the few countries that didn't charge a fee.  The countries you mentioned bear9     Jamaica--$40 to enter it, but also $35 to leave it.  The Maldives---is free on arrival but stay more than 30 days & you pay a fee of nearly $50  Dubai--$20 

Nearer to home (Thailand) I live close to the Lao Border,  nice place but $50 to enter. Cambodia was $30 for 30 days, additional 30 days between $30-$50--Depends on your country.--Now of course it is $3,000 dep to enter. Vietnam $25...Malaysia..(how long is a piece of string) Your pay 300 baht $10 for each night you stay tourist only pay a bed tax.

**Fees taken from Trip Advisor web site.

• Like 1

The estimate of 10 million tourists seems way to optimistic . Very difficult to make predictions . A tourist minister should be  more conservative with the numbers . I personally think that if the tourists numbers reach 5 million it would be a surprise . 

The 300 baht fee for entry into Thailand is not going to help matters,  but if there is some medical insurance involved it could be positive .

6 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

It will start off at 300B, then once tourism starts to increase they will increase the fee, and I can see that a 1,000B  would be charged,, they still believe that tourists are queing up to visit Thailand, how wrong are they. 

There's already a departure tax collected by airlines (as others have said, you used to queue to pay it before going through to immigration), which started at 100 for domestic flights and 200 for international which then increased to 700 for international. A bit like the ATM fee which started at 100 and gradually crept up to feed their greed.

Let's be honest - they have to do something to get money.  

They have got to be absolutely hurting right now.  And their citizens by and large work under the table not providing a large source of tax revenue.  

This is, after all, basically the third world.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Whilst those flying to Thailand from the UK pay a 3,700 Baht "exit fee" (APD) to fly out of the UK if they're flying in an economy seat, 7,040 Baht in a premium seat.

There are 2 separate charges, Air Passenger Duty(APD) and Passenger Service Charge(PSC).

From a BA flight BKK to LHR, the Thai tax is relatively insignificant.

Government, authority and airport charges    Per adult
E7AD    THB 35.00
E7AP    THB 35.00
Passenger Service Charge (Domestic) - Thailand    THB 700.00
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom    THB 3,425.00
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom    THB 3,010.00

Total government, authority and airport charges* THB 7,205.00

British Airways fees and surcharges    Per adult
Insurance and Security Surcharge**    THB 12,330.00
Total British Airways fees and surcharges THB 12,330.00

Total taxes, fees and surcharges per person    THB 19,535.00

• Sad 1

Please excuse me, but how long have these people been in there jobs promoting tourism (Thailand) and after many many many years they need to teach these people how to promote tourism??????? ?

Madness to me.

But the gem could be the insurance policy attached, I wonder what that covers ?

Come on Thailand your so much better than this !!!!!

Am all for collecting 300 baht for covering health Insurance and for the time being to improve tourism. The best way to collect it would be when ticketing the flight this could be done in two ways via the plane arriving:

1/ The plane menifest will say how many are on the plane say 200 x 300 baht = 60,000 charge the individual planes as they arrive. OR collect from the provider ie Britsh Airways every month. 

2/ Do not do by passenger but by plane capasity if plane carries 600 seats than assume the plane has 500 every flight x 300 = 150,000 baht and another size plane has 200 seats x 300 = 60,000. NOW you charge per plane. Lets say its Thai Airways you charge them on each arrival or invoice them each month on the planes that arrived.

3/ WHY: This makes sure the money gets paid without causing excessive extra work at the immigration end. The Airlines will add this cost into the cost of the flight when they sell the airline ticket. True it may cost more than 300 baht say 400 baht but the process to go through customs and immigration will stay the same less stress for visitors and immigration officers when visitors not have 300 baht only $20 USD. 

Edited by DerekT

1 minute ago, alation said:

Please excuse me, but how long have these people been in there jobs promoting tourism (Thailand) and after many many many years they need to teach these people how to promote tourism??????? ?

Madness to me.

But the gem could be the insurance policy attached, I wonder what that covers ?

Come on Thailand your so much better than this !!!!!

With regards to the last sentence, sit back, think about it for about five minutes, and you may want to add in the work "not".  

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I was going to make a joke about your intelligence, but it's possible you wrote that sarcastically.  

So let me just say this again. It is not "just" 300 baht.  It's 300 baht added to the already sizeable surcharges, taxes, levies and fees tourists already get charged in Thailand

Starting with cost of the visa, then the compulsory insurance (for your safety of course), the COE fee, the quarantine fee, then the airport taxes that international airlines get charged (and added to the ticket price) per aircraft landing, then the "special service surcharge" airport taxis charge, then hotel taxes, then the 1000% mark up on entrance fees at tourist attractions, then silly fines on some unknown immigration rule if you forget to report to them that you spent one night at a beach resort on the weekend. That's not even mentioning the attempts - even by law enforcement - to scam money or overcharge tourists.

And on top of all of that, they charge you 1000 baht to leave the country.........even the Thais are so ashamed of their own behavior that they make the airlines add this to the ticket price in fine print so most tourists don't know they're being scammed again

I wonder, how long until Thailand introduces a carbon tax on all tourists to, you know, combat climate change. There's probably another 1000 baht they can shake down each tourist for as well

You speak of intelligence, I have no issue with paying an additional 300 baht to enter a country I really enjoy, for 30 days it amounts to a huge 10 baht a day drain on finances, I can live with that

For the intelligent high flyers who would go elsewhere due to an additional10 baht a day I would recommend you do so, and Thailand can be safe in the knowledge you will find something to moan about there too!!

Edited by 473geo
  • Haha 1

The 300 Baht fee would not be so bad if the Tourists received something positive for their Money.

Walkways  that are free of Garbage and Holes, Public Toilets that are free to use, and hygienic, No double pricing.

These are only a few of the many small things Thailand could give back to the Tourists

But I am sure greed will prevail

The exact opposite would be right:

- free visas,

- free entry to the country,

- free testings,

- no quarantine,

- 5000 baht cash bonus for every tourist,

- free entry to national parks and museums

- a complimentary dinner in a nice restaurant.

Embassies and consulates would collapse under the stampede.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

The 300 Baht fee would not be so bad if the Tourists received something positive for their Money.

Walkways  that are free of Garbage and Holes, Public Toilets that are free to use, and hygienic, No double pricing.

These are only a few of the many small things Thailand could give back to the Tourists

But I am sure greed will prevail

You want? I suggest you visit Singapore, might be a tad more expensive, but it appears you do not enjoy your  Thailand experience.

You don't want to pay 5 or 10 baht to use a public toilet? really?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah hardly no ones coming so let’s screw a bit more out of the few that are. 

They really haven’t got a clue what to do next. 

Ps. 10 million my ar.se

Fair enough ... but the folks who can come under the present conditions are probably not hurting for cash and won't notice a B300 ding to their bank accounts.