Digital Minister asserts continued cooperation with contact tracing app developers

webfact

Digital Minister asserts continued cooperation with contact tracing app developers

e7021bcf0cf34bfe962aee1e3e215916_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Minister of a Digital Economy and Society has advised that the government and developers of the Mor Chana contact tracing application are still working together, with the system now transferred into the government’s control to better support more users.

The Minister of a Digital Economy and Society, Buddhipongse Punnakanta has held a press conference together with the Digital Government Development Agency (DGA) CEO Supot Tiarawut, and the president of the Chuay Kan group Somphote Ahunai on the transition of the Mor Chana contact tracing application, to be fully contoled by the government.

The Minister of a Digital Economy and Society said today the ministry has been working with the development team of the Mor Chana app, consisting of some 100 developers, for about a year, while refuting rumors on a conflict between the developers and the government.

The Mor Chana app was first developed by volunteer developers in the Chuay Kan Group. The group has decided to transfer the app and database management duties to the government, with the DGA serving as the main agency responsible. This transfer will allow the app to better serve more users.

The Mor Chana app has now been downloaded some seven million times. The government has set a target of 20-30 million users in the future. Additional staff will be needed to assign individual users’ exposure risk status, as more people use this app.

Mr Buddhipongse said users data will be stored and managed efficiently and with maximum safety, with full compliance with related law.

The Chuay Kan Group President said today the team had started the project in February last year, and has decided to transfer the app to the government as the platform gathers more users.

He said the management of the app by the government will help reassure the general public of the level of personal data protection provided.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

Just when I though this Mor Chana thing couldn't get more suspect.

Many, many, many posts on Thai social media questioning and mocking this app.

Being able to modify one's status is classic. A bit like the Feng Shui card in the red car which says "this car is green".

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the management of the app by the government will help reassure the general public of the level of personal data protection provided.

i mean i don't even trust the canadian government to be able to handle something like this........

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Just when I though this Mor Chana thing couldn't get more suspect.

Many, many, many posts on Thai social media questioning and mocking this app.

Being able to modify one's status is classic. A bit like the Feng Shui card in the red car which says "this car is green".

There were some clueless folk on here telling us there was nothing to worry about. ????‍♂️

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Better News could be Digital Minister should cooperate with FIRES tracing app developers

95A99EBE-B9F1-42ED-B00B-2BAEC5D41F7D.jpeg

look at the red all over cambodia. my goodness. looks like moses walked from bangkok to where it says cambodia

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The government has been preaching for some time how these tracking apps are absolutely essential to Thai public health ….

The idea makes a certain degree of sense….but I’ve never heard of a specific instance where this system has been successfully used to notify anyone of potential exposure to the plague.

Makes one wonder if these things are actually working…. as the government wants people to believe they’re working.

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Another one here with an interesting middle bit

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thailands-new-covid-app-garbage-its-developers-say/

Edited by Knocker33
  • Thanks 1

And Thailand is heavily advertised as a tourist and retirement destination... hahaha

I spent several months a few years ago in Cambodia birding, it was an inferno. unreal. 

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

So who do you suppose they are hiding who tested positive?

It would need to be a high level leader who worries about the face of the situation or like a major music performer who needs to keep her/his converts going for the month to flow.  

Edited by Elkski

By and large it's been abandoned here.  It drains ones battery on your phone quite drastically. Furthermore, I use a VPN, so it says that I"m in Chile right now.  

You can just leave your phone at home.  Or just turn the thing off.  

Of course in Thailand, they can make you do anything so good luck with that, LOL.