Blinking Headlights

JimGant

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I apologize for not finding it.....

Anyway, at the u-turn cut on a superhiway, when my surveillance detects a car coming mach2 -- blinking his lights -- this obviously means yield to him. No brainer, as you can detect he's really moving fast.

What about on city streets, where your movement has really slowed, and someone from a side street wants to merge? Does blinking my lights mean, no way -- I'm coming through (albeit at a crawl)? Or, as I'm going at a crawl mean: Ok, buddy, I'm letting you in?

In the States, blinking your lights means: I'm letting you in. Or, on the hiway -- look out for a speedtrap ahead.

Thus, being confused on light blinking, I just wave my hand in front of my windshield to indicate I'm letting the merging car in. But, a blink of the lights would be more efficient -- but I'm just not sure of how it would be interpreted...

Comments?

• Like 1

My first time in Thailand on a motorbike, waiting to turn right across the traffic and the car coming towards me flashed his lights so I pulled across........could have been very nasty.

In the UK flashing lights means I'm letting you out in Thailand it means I'm coming through, you better get out my way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Most of us learn pretty quick, that the flash of the headlights Does not mean ... after you sir...

Right, which I pointed out has been my observation for years. But the other day, in slow traffic, I saw a light blink that indicated, and was accepted as such, an offer to join main traffic from a side street. Was thus curious about whether or not I had been missing something...... Nevertheless, I just might, in the future, if traffic is completely at a standstill, assume a light blink is telling me I can enter the flow in front of the blinking car. Or maybe not..... Who cares -- it's been a slow day.

3 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Right, which I pointed out has been my observation for years. But the other day, in slow traffic, I saw a light blink that indicated, and was accepted as such, an offer to join main traffic from a side street. Was thus curious about whether or not I had been missing something...... Nevertheless, I just might, in the future, if traffic is completely at a standstill, assume a light blink is telling me I can enter the flow in front of the blinking car. Or maybe not..... Who cares -- it's been a slow day.

That was probably me, were you coming out to the hospital....onto ChaengWattana Road

1 hour ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

My first time in Thailand on a motorbike, waiting to turn right across the traffic and the car coming towards me flashed his lights so I pulled across........could have been very nasty.

In the UK flashing lights means I'm letting you out in Thailand it means I'm coming through, you better get out my way.

It has become common usage, but the Highway Code still says:

Rule 110 of the Highway Code states: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. “Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.”

Personally, I think the UK/US use is preferable but, obviously can't be done here.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Rule 110 of the Highway Code states: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. “Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.”

Personally, I think the UK/US use is preferable but, obviously can't be done here.

Its a silly but valid topic..... can mean anything in an international place like Phuket I guess and thus useless.....n and even if it did mean a certain thing the natives woulded adhere to it, look at the blinkers constantly flashing... they over take my truck all the time despite blinkiers braklights flashing then wonder why they get swuashed against the wall...   yeah brainless but its what it is..

On 23/01/2021 at 10:38 AM, chickenslegs said:

I never flash my lights in the UK...... Anymore.

25-30 years ago I flashed one person to turn across me into a road and another person came out of the said road and there was an accident.

Flashing lights is seen by everybody, and everybody could take it is meant for them.

A wave of the hand is all they get these days.

Edited by ThaIrish Sean

When someone flashes their headlights in Thailand means ‘I’m an a$$hole and I’m forcing my way through’...

It’s commonly used when someone is ‘breaking usual right of way rules’  and they know they are doing so !!

Its also commonly used when someone is about to pull out from a junction or turn across someones path and instead of lifting off the accelerator or gently applying the brakes the driver of the oncoming car accelerates and aggressively flashes the headlights as if to say ‘don’t you dare have the audacity to pull out in front of me’...

Its also commonly used on the expressway by total and complete a$$hats when you are in the right most lane passing traffic in the second (central lane), you are travelling at about 120-140km, but that doesn’t matter, you are in front of then.. the flashing lights means “I’m an impatient, petulant halfwit but think I’m important, get out of my way” !!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's been my experience that flashing lights from oncoming traffic is a warning of checkpoint ahead, when I've got oncoming car passing in my lane I flick my lights.

In the US it's not healthy to flash lights at another car as you risk the chance of them shooting. 

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, chickenslegs said:

Didn't know there was a "highway code" here in Thailand. Where can I buy a copy and is it in English too?  If not in English then your translation skills must be excellent.

4 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Didn't know there was a "highway code" here in Thailand. Where can I buy a copy and is it in English too?  If not in English then your translation skills must be excellent.

Perhaps that is something you should have researched before driving here ????

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 

B.E. 2522 (1979).1 

BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX. Given on the 18th January B.E. 2522 (1979) Being the 34th Year of the Present Reign. 

ThaiDriving2 (2018_03_23 05_25_41 UTC).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Perhaps that is something you should have researched before driving here ????

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 

B.E. 2522 (1979).1 

BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX. Given on the 18th January B.E. 2522 (1979) Being the 34th Year of the Present Reign. 

ThaiDriving2 (2018_03_23 05_25_41 UTC).pdf 1.5 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks. At quick glance it seems rather amusing compared to real life driving/riding experience here in Thailand. Should make for good nightime reading zzz...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:
On 1/23/2021 at 1:38 PM, chickenslegs said:

Both posts above refer to the ‘custom’ of UK drivers flashing their headlights as a curtesy rather than a warning. 

Thailand has the Land Transport Act BE 2522 (1979).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. At quick glance it seems rather amusing compared to real life driving/riding experience here in Thailand. Should make for good nightime reading zzz...

I doubt any traffic or highway policeman in Thailand is even aware this exists !!!!

With certainty the vast majority of drivers in Thailand know not of its existence let alone have ever read any of it !

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

I was replying to a post that mentioned the use of flashing headlights in the UK.

• Like 1

I don’t flash my lights except to tell someone else their lights are off or too bright. 

When I am attempting to turn and someone in opposing traffic blinks their lights at me, I take it to mean “I see you, and as I have time to blink my lights, I have time to brake.”

To be clear, one  either has time to turn or not, that someone is blinking their lights should not impact that judgment. 

On 1/23/2021 at 2:13 PM, JimGant said:

In the States,

On 1/23/2021 at 3:55 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

In the UK

What does this have to do with driving in Thailand/Asia?

Flashing headlights  here means I'm coming through. He who flashes first wins. There is a protocol of sorts. 

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

What does this have to do with driving in Thailand/Asia?

Flashing headlights  here means I'm coming through. He who flashes first wins. There is a protocol of sorts. 

It also means checkpoint ahead.

16 hours ago, mogandave said:

I don’t flash my lights except to tell someone else their lights are off or too bright. 

When I am attempting to turn and someone in opposing traffic blinks their lights at me, I take it to mean “I see you, and as I have time to blink my lights, I have time to brake.”

To be clear, one  either has time to turn or not, that someone is blinking their lights should not impact that judgment. 

‘should not’...    and in that exists an assumption... never assume anyone is going to exercise judgement on Thailands roads (or any nations roads for that matter). 

That said, I agree, if someone is flashing their lights it means they’ve seen you !!!

i.e. when I’m about to turn across traffic (i.e. turning right) and someone is 100m down the road coming towards me and I see them flashing their lights I can see that they’ve clearly seen me and have enough time to break. 

There is plenty of time for me to make the turn across their path (their rate of closures easily allows for that) - they they are franticly flashing their lights... I guess for one of two reasons -

- 1st: 'Hurry up, don’t make me slow down’  (I get this, some people take an age to make a manoeuvre as if ’slower is safer’ !)

- 2nd: General a44#olery, some just don’t like any cars pulling out in front of them. Some drivers will make far more effort (accelerating hard and flashing their lights) to try and stop you from pulling out rather than just doing nothing ! (when someone has plenty of time) or even just easing off the accelerator for a moment. 

The mentality is ultimately juvenile and agressive - fortunately its not most people and road rage is not as prevalent in Thailand as it could be given the traffic conditions and behaviour. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mogandave said:

If he has to brake because of you this means you are cutting him off and are in the wrong.

32 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If he has to brake because of you this means you are cutting him off and are in the wrong.

It was a joke, and I agree cutting in front of someone and compelling them to brake is wrong, and it is not something I do under most circumstances. That said, if you drive in Bangkok and are not ready slow and or stop oncoming traffic when making a U-turn, please do not get in the turn lane in front of me.