Jump to content

Senator Leahy to preside over Trump's impeachment trial


webfact

Recommended Posts

Senator Leahy to preside over Trump's impeachment trial

 

2021-01-25T221916Z_1_LYNXMPEH0O1H3_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-IMPEACHMENT-LEAHY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) asks a question during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing titled "Police Use of Force and Community Relations" in Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington, D.C., U.S., June 16, 2020. Tom Williams/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate's longest-serving member, Democrat Patrick Leahy, will preside over the upcoming impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump, Leahy said on Monday.

 

U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts presided at Trump's first impeachment trial last year, as the Constitution requires in presidential impeachments. But senators can preside when the person being impeached is not the current president of the United States, a Senate source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

 

Leahy, 80, a lawmaker from Vermont who took office in 1975, is the senator with the most seniority in either party.

 

"When I preside over the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump, I will not waver from my constitutional and sworn obligations to administer the trial with fairness, in accordance with the Constitution and the laws," Leahy said in a statement.

 

The U.S. House of Representatives on Monday will deliver an article of impeachment to the Senate, accusing Trump of inciting insurrection in a fiery speech to his followers before this month's deadly attack on the Capitol. But the trial is not expected to get started until Feb. 9.

 

Leahy will still be able to vote in the trial, an aide said, noting that senators vote on all matters when presiding over the Senate.

 

But some Republicans questioned the arrangement. "How does a Senator preside, like a judge, and serve as juror too?" Senator John Cornyn wrote on Twitter.

 

When the Senate removed U.S. District Judge Thomas Porteous in a 2010 impeachment trial, Senator Daniel Inouye both presided over the trial and voted. When that was pointed out to Cornyn on Twitter on Monday, the senator replied: "He was a judge, not a former president."

 

Leahy is president pro tempore of the Senate, meaning he is empowered to preside over Senate sessions in the absence of Vice President Kamala Harris. That duty is usually rotated, however, among senators of the majority party.

 

Being president pro tempore also makes Leahy, who is the senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, the third in line of presidential succession, after the vice president and speaker of the House.

 

(Reporting by Susan Cornwell; Editing by Bill Berkrot and Peter Cooney)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-26
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO not enough Republican senators will grow a spine and convict Trump. Which just demonstrates their venality, voting in favor of a guy who only a couple of weeks ago incited a mob to overthrow them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

trump should continue to own the party. He can ensure that no Republican will ever win the Presidency. Interesting the House is ignorantly believing he can help win back the Hous  with trumps help but that is NOT going to happen because trump NOT on the ticket will have the effect of the House losing seats in 2022. No way Biden loses re-election against trump either

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

trump should continue to own the party. He can ensure that no Republican will ever win the Presidency. Interesting the House is ignorantly believing he can help win back the Hous  with trumps help but that is NOT going to happen because trump NOT on the ticket will have the effect of the House losing seats in 2022. No way Biden loses re-election against trump either

A good example of how the sum of individual interests does not reflect the collective interest. In would be in the collective interest of the GOP to get rid of Trump. However, individually, Republicans think they can benefit from appealing to the Trump supporter base, or alternatively are afraid of negative consequences on their career if they oppose Trump.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2021 at 9:35 PM, Lacessit said:

IMO not enough Republican senators will grow a spine and convict Trump. Which just demonstrates their venality, voting in favor of a guy who only a couple of weeks ago incited a mob to overthrow them.

They will vote to acquit because this is like the last impeachment: A nothing burger.

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

They will vote to acquit because this is like the last impeachment: A nothing burger.

We agree that he will get the acquittal but the reason is NOTa nothing burger. His followers would make the Republicans who vote to convict pay bigly. Spineless is more accurate than burgers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

We agree that he will get the acquittal but the reason is NOTa nothing burger. His followers would make the Republicans who vote to convict pay bigly. Spineless is more accurate than burgers.

"Train Wreck" is the most accurate. The Democrats are stuck with this mess and there's no way out. Pelosi is on record saying that impeaching a former President who won 70++ million votes will unite the country. Wrong. People with triple digit IQ's see the folly of the Democratic party's actions. The Democrats brought this on themselves and they will pay the price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ExpatOK said:

"Train Wreck" is the most accurate. The Democrats are stuck with this mess and there's no way out. Pelosi is on record saying that impeaching a former President who won 70++ million votes will unite the country. Wrong. People with triple digit IQ's see the folly of the Democratic party's actions. The Democrats brought this on themselves and they will pay the price.

Imo what we are experienceing is the death throes of the Republican Party mr trump attempted a coup in most countries that means prison or quite possibly execution most sane republicans are law abiding and conservative in nature eventually they will see through the bs it’s trump that’s the train wreck not the dems sad about the Republican Party I’ve voted Republican many times but not anymore 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

One of the most partisan Democrat senators in the chamber...there goes any pretense of fairness and objectivity. 

Should Trump be convicted, having him in charge will IMO only convince the Trump base of millions that the trial was rigged, regardless of the actuality.  IMO the Democrats are on a path to divide the country MORE, not less. Trump did not attempt to have Hillary tried after he became president, which IMO was because he realised that it would not be a good way to start his term.

As I see it, this desire to try Trump after he is gone is mainly for revenge, which is more likely, IMO, to turn public opinion against the Democrats than not.

They may think it will prevent him from becoming president again in 2024, but it can't keep him from being involved in politics, whatever they do.

 

Biden may believe that if he doesn't say anything about it he will not be tarred with the same brush, but Pontius Pilate is not remembered favorably for washing his hands of responsibility. Biden is implicated, whether he does, or does not, say anything, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

We agree that he will get the acquittal but the reason is NOTa nothing burger. His followers would make the Republicans who vote to convict pay bigly. Spineless is more accurate than burgers.

Seems we agree on something. Any GOP senator that votes to convict will, IMO, pay "bigly". IMO they should be expecting to be removed at their next election.

However, I would apply "spineless" to the Democrats that go along with this, IMO, revenge trial, despite knowing it is wrong to do so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems we agree on something. Any GOP senator that votes to convict will, IMO, pay "bigly". IMO they should be expecting to be removed at their next election.

However, I would apply "spineless" to the Democrats that go along with this, IMO, revenge trial, despite knowing it is wrong to do so.

What's wrong to do is to incite an insurrection against your own country. Mr. trump is guilty as sin. Republicans know that too but they either like it or are just going along out of fear of the disgraced ex-president primarying them. They had their chance to divorce themselves from Mr. trump. They already blew it. There is almost no place left in the republican party for anyone that isn't still going along with the cult of Mr. trump. It's true that still represents a large base. But large doesn't mean a majority, before, now, or EVER. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kelsall said:

They will vote to acquit because this is like the last impeachment: A nothing burger.

 

At least the first one was a constitutional nuthin' burger.  For this one, they've abandoned even the pretense of constitutionality.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Should Trump be convicted, having him in charge will IMO only convince the Trump base of millions that the trial was rigged, regardless of the actuality.  IMO the Democrats are on a path to divide the country MORE, not less. Trump did not attempt to have Hillary tried after he became president, which IMO was because he realised that it would not be a good way to start his term.

As I see it, this desire to try Trump after he is gone is mainly for revenge, which is more likely, IMO, to turn public opinion against the Democrats than not.

They may think it will prevent him from becoming president again in 2024, but it can't keep him from being involved in politics, whatever they do.

 

Biden may believe that if he doesn't say anything about it he will not be tarred with the same brush, but Pontius Pilate is not remembered favorably for washing his hands of responsibility. Biden is implicated, whether he does, or does not, say anything, IMO.

Whoever is in charge, they will believe It's rigged. Just like they believe Trump's scam about rigged elections.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Should Trump be convicted, having him in charge will IMO only convince the Trump base of millions that the trial was rigged, regardless of the actuality.  IMO the Democrats are on a path to divide the country MORE, not less. Trump did not attempt to have Hillary tried after he became president, which IMO was because he realised that it would not be a good way to start his term.

As I see it, this desire to try Trump after he is gone is mainly for revenge, which is more likely, IMO, to turn public opinion against the Democrats than not.

They may think it will prevent him from becoming president again in 2024, but it can't keep him from being involved in politics, whatever they do.

 

Biden may believe that if he doesn't say anything about it he will not be tarred with the same brush, but Pontius Pilate is not remembered favorably for washing his hands of responsibility. Biden is implicated, whether he does, or does not, say anything, IMO.

This is a function purely of the Congressional branch.   Biden has nothing to do with it and saying anything could be viewed as interference.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO the Democrats are on a path to divide the country MORE, not less. Trump did not attempt to have Hillary tried after he became president, which IMO was because he realised that it would not be a good way to start his term.

If the Democrat Party continues on its crusade against President Trump and sets the precedent that a private citizen can be tried in the Senate and possibly stripped of their civil rights, a future Republican controlled Congress may move to impeach and try President Obama, and strip him of the right to hold a federal office in the future. (Like maybe a Supreme Court seat.) They should be remember the axiom to be careful what they wish for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

If the Democrat Party continues on its crusade against President Trump and sets the precedent that a private citizen can be tried in the Senate and possibly stripped of their civil rights, a future Republican controlled Congress may move to impeach and try President Obama, and strip him of the right to hold a federal office in the future. (Like maybe a Supreme Court seat.) They should be remember the axiom to be careful what they wish for.

This is insane logic.  Trump was impeached while still in office, for actions he took while in office.  So your example is completely false.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

This is insane logic.  Trump was impeached while still in office, for actions he took while in office.  So your example is completely false.

Yes but the trial is taking place after...breaking precedent. Republicans can break precedent too and impeach a President who is no longer in office. Be careful what you wish for...

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes but the trial is taking place after...breaking precedent. Republicans can break precedent too and impeach a President who is no longer in office. Be careful what you wish for...

Boy, like talking to a brick wall.  If the Republicans want to impeach a President Obama while he's in office and conduct the trial after he's left office, that would be fine.  Understand?

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Boy, like talking to a brick wall.  If the Republicans want to impeach a President Obama while he's in office and conduct the trial after he's left office, that would be fine.  Understand?

How is holding a Senate trial for a private citizen, a break with precedent, different from impeaching a president no longer in office (also a break with precedent). Be careful what you wish for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Kelsall said:

They will vote to acquit because this is like the last impeachment: A nothing burger.

Right.  Inciting a riot where people were killed....hardly a nothing burger. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What's wrong to do is to incite an insurrection against your own country. Mr. trump is guilty as sin. Republicans know that too but they either like it or are just going along out of fear of the disgraced ex-president primarying them. They had their chance to divorce themselves from Mr. trump. They already blew it. There is almost no place left in the republican party for anyone that isn't still going along with the cult of Mr. trump. It's true that still represents a large base. But large doesn't mean a majority, before, now, or EVER. 

 

There is no evidence President Trump is guilty. Listen to his speech.

 

There is no evidence that a cult of President Trump exists.

 

You are correct, though, that there is no place left in the Republican party for anyone who doesn't support President Trump. And that's a good thing, good for the party, good for the USA.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

One of the most partisan Democrat senators in the chamber...there goes any pretense of fairness and objectivity. 

You can say the same about pretty much all GOP senators.  NO fairness and NO objectivity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Should Trump be convicted, having him in charge will IMO only convince the Trump base of millions that the trial was rigged, regardless of the actuality.  IMO the Democrats are on a path to divide the country MORE, not less. Trump did not attempt to have Hillary tried after he became president, which IMO was because he realised that it would not be a good way to start his term.

As I see it, this desire to try Trump after he is gone is mainly for revenge, which is more likely, IMO, to turn public opinion against the Democrats than not.

They may think it will prevent him from becoming president again in 2024, but it can't keep him from being involved in politics, whatever they do.

 

Biden may believe that if he doesn't say anything about it he will not be tarred with the same brush, but Pontius Pilate is not remembered favorably for washing his hands of responsibility. Biden is implicated, whether he does, or does not, say anything, IMO.

If Trump's base thinks the trial was rigged, it's because of the fake news their fed.  By the media and members of the GOP.

 

Why would Trump try Hillary?  Doesn't make sense.

 

This impeachment is setting an example.  Violate the law and you'll face the consequences.  If not, I'm sure you'll be OK with Biden doing the same.  Fair is fair, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...