Sattahip to Songkhla car ferry service set to begin by March, Prachuap Khiri Khan misses out - for now

webfact

On 11/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, HammerMan said:

All will be announced on the website/Facebook etc..  

The  first sailing is tomorrow. Do you know when the website / facebook will actually be updated with the new information.?

Edited by pontious

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

If that is the case, then you should get quiet a few trucks onboard, which should supply a steady revenue for the company.    

I gather there will be quite a few unemployed and angry drivers, but that's progress.  Of the drivers that remain employed, it may work out well for them, as they are not away from their families.  I guess it will put a maintenance staff out of work as well.

In general, Thai's resist change, and many live hand to mouth here, but anything that gets trucks of the road is a good thing, so I hope they use the service.  

Actually the trucking companies and drivers benefit from this because most logistics companies want to expand their fleets and there is a shortage of drivers. As the ferry needs only 1 driver that means the companies can operate more trucks.. The savings also benefit the end users as it reduces costs.. and as you mentioned reduces pollution, traffic, congestion and damage to highways and possibly accidents. There's pros and cons both ways but I mostly see wins for everyone, but maybe I'm bias.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:58 PM, pontious said:

Is that one way prices.?

If yes then myself plus car and wife would be 6000 plus 2000 - 8000 one way.

16,000 return and I have not even booked a cabin yet.?

You could book flights and stay at a nice hotel for a week for that.

12 minutes ago, pontious said:

The  first sailing is tomorrow. Do you know when the website / facebook will actually be updated with the new information.?

My understanding is after the first sailing goes smooth/well everything will be posted on the sites. I'm confident that we've met every request presented to us and this truly is the start of a regular service.

4 hours ago, HammerMan said:

As the ferry needs only 1 driver that means the companies can operate more trucks..

I would think the truck companies have a driver put the truck on the boat and then leave, then have a driver at the other end meet the boat and drive the truck off, thus, no driver onboard with the truck. 

Why pay a driver to do nothing for 20 hours?

Will you make it a condition of travel that the vehicles have to be accompanied by a driver?

22 hours ago, Leaver said:

I would think the truck companies have a driver put the truck on the boat and then leave, then have a driver at the other end meet the boat and drive the truck off, thus, no driver onboard with the truck. 

Why pay a driver to do nothing for 20 hours?

Will you make it a condition of travel that the vehicles have to be accompanied by a driver?

I'm guessing you've never sailed on a ferry before.. its a drive on/drive off concept. Hence its called a Ro-Pax meaning Roll on Roll off Passenger vessel.... But in some cases we are allowing some vehicles to park and leave the keys with the vessels loading master for collection at the other end. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pontious said:

Answer my own question - it is obviously not - I give up posting and following this thread  -it is obviously going nowhere - in a hurry anyway. Bye.

I will apologize if wrong -it appears to be on the way. Will have to wait for HM to update.

On 11/15/2021 at 1:14 PM, HammerMan said:

I'm guessing you've never sailed on a ferry before..

I have been on a few.

However, I have never been the owner of a truck company using a ferry service.  Have you?

its a drive on/drive off concept. Hence its called a Ro-Pax meaning Roll on Roll off Passenger vessel....

Sure, but who says the driver that "rolls" the vehicle on has to be the driver that "rolls" the vehicle off?  

Is there any reason why the "roll on" driver MUST take the journey with the truck?

But in some cases we are allowing some vehicles to park and leave the keys with the vessels loading master for collection at the other end. 

The company wouldn't even need to leave the keys with the loading master, unless you stipulate they have to.  Do you ever move the vehicles onboard whilst at sail?

The truck company would have a set of keys with a driver in Sattahip, and a set of keys with a driver in Songkhla. 

If I was the owner of a truck company using your service, I would basically use your company as a courier for my trucks, and the goods they are carrying, not the drivers and keys, as there is no need.   

If your company was approached for such an arrangement, what would your answer be?

On 11/17/2021 at 9:01 PM, HammerMan said:

Congratulations...in this instance persevearance looks to have paid off, nothing easy here if this big an operation. I want to have a go but am a modern day leper atm so it seems I am not allowed to leave my province so will have to wait ...good luck moving forward!

• Like 1

A couple of motorcyclists (one a vlogger) did the first round-trip voyage. Looks like a nice ferry. Well done HammerMan on finally pulling this off. Wishing you all the success you deserve.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

https://youtu.be/ahgE_Z5aAvA

Final episode..  Meanwhile 2nd voyage went successfully.. no delays and 3rd voyage 29th November from Sattahip.  Sailing times have been adjusted to 5pm to better assist inbound transport from the Malaysian border area arriving at Songkhla..   The dreaded website should be active in the coming days..  Bon Voyage

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 7:59 PM, HammerMan said:

https://youtu.be/ahgE_Z5aAvA

Final episode..  Meanwhile 2nd voyage went successfully.. no delays and 3rd voyage 29th November from Sattahip.  Sailing times have been adjusted to 5pm to better assist inbound transport from the Malaysian border area arriving at Songkhla..   The dreaded website should be active in the coming days..  Bon Voyage

Great to see the voyage, sorry could not make the maiden voyage, but hope I can get on soon! This content below came to me in an email from a friend, not sure who the author is but it is another positive review of the ferry.

Congratulations, hope to board soon.

After a few weeks touring in South Thailand decided on returning home via the Seahorse Ferry. Songkhla to Sattahip. 20hr Sail.
An outline of how it went for those who may want to make it part of your ride.
The website needs alot of improvement as far as trying to make reservations.
Using the Line App is how I made contact, reservations, and how to make payment. I can not say enough good things about Puttida Si (Pie) a Seahorse Rep who was on the other end of the LineApp. She spoke n wrote very good english and very quick to reply with correct information and updates.A great asset for this company
Seahorse will need from you for confirming reservation
1. Identification card/Passport
2. Driver's license
3. Copy of vehicle registration
5. Phone number and e-mail
6. Photo of the car showing the vehicle registration
7. Certificate of vaccination
Any problems. Pie will help you. For example I did not have my green book. She was able to let me send a copy.
Payment was made to Kasikorn Bank using online. I screen shot the payment and sent. A reply came immediately back from Pie n a confirmed reservation in my email.
The sailing from start to finish was excellent, organized, and no chaos. Professionalism
Ride onto to ferry with the your motorbike on the car park 2nd deck. Immediately met by a few workers who strap/tie down your bike. You can leave luggage on the motosai if u desire. Then proceeded to check in on the car park deck. A temp check, log in your name and time. Then up the escalators to reception. Here you are assigned to your cabin, capsule, or seating.
I booked a capsule. Very satisfied with it n would choose that option again. Has a power point n small light.
The toilet and showers are clean. Good hot water and pressure. Only think lacking was really no where to hang your clothes or towel. You need to bring your own towel.
There are lockers with locks available at 30 baht n refunded when you bring back a special coin that is used.
Galley/Cafeteria has vending machines with a mark up about 5 baht to 7/11 prices. Variety of chips, candy , n drinks. Food/Meals are offered at 80 baht prepaid at the reception. I had one meal and was quite ok. You are allowed to bring your own food. There is a microwave, hot water, n a coffee vending machine.
Very little entertainment on board. Have some movies on a USB stick and can play on one of the many large TVs through out the ship. Travel with a few other riders a deck of cards would be nice.
The crew. Very polite. Very helpful. Very informative. Very professional in what their job and responsibilities are. Everyone I spoke to spoke english. Many had prior experience on ships and cruise ships. The owner was on the sail. Could be seen on the ship talking with the crew. Whats good and what needs to improve. I even had a brief chat with the owner on the car deck on departure. Easy going guy and wish him success.
Personally I will do again. A very good and enjoyable time well spent. A great option to add to any motosai trip.
LineApp ID @theseahorseferry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kuma said:
2. Driver's license

All the above will deter many casual customers going on a holiday. Too much friction.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

All the above will deter many casual customers going on a holiday. Too much friction.

How? It's not much different from a domestic/international flight or inter provincial travel by car these days.

17 hours ago, CLW said:

How? It's not much different from a domestic/international flight or inter provincial travel by car these days.

Have you noticed from the threads how many people are refusing to fly here to Thailand?

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 6:51 AM, soi3eddie said:

Sadly beyond our control. Its the law and rules/regulations of the ports.. Additionally under new privacy laws we are not allowed to retain any information in our system. We are struggling to finalize an efficient, reliable website as it involves 3rd party links etc.. but we are close to launching it. We are also developing a mobile app. 

On 11/26/2021 at 1:52 AM, kuma said:

Great to see the voyage, sorry could not make the maiden voyage, but hope I can get on soon! This content below came to me in an email from a friend, not sure who the author is but it is another positive review of the ferry.

Congratulations, hope to board soon.

After a few weeks touring in South Thailand decided on returning home via the Seahorse Ferry. Songkhla to Sattahip. 20hr Sail.
An outline of how it went for those who may want to make it part of your ride.
The website needs alot of improvement as far as trying to make reservations.
Using the Line App is how I made contact, reservations, and how to make payment. I can not say enough good things about Puttida Si (Pie) a Seahorse Rep who was on the other end of the LineApp. She spoke n wrote very good english and very quick to reply with correct information and updates.A great asset for this company
2. Driver's license
Any problems. Pie will help you. For example I did not have my green book. She was able to let me send a copy.
Payment was made to Kasikorn Bank using online. I screen shot the payment and sent. A reply came immediately back from Pie n a confirmed reservation in my email.
The sailing from start to finish was excellent, organized, and no chaos. Professionalism
Ride onto to ferry with the your motorbike on the car park 2nd deck. Immediately met by a few workers who strap/tie down your bike. You can leave luggage on the motosai if u desire. Then proceeded to check in on the car park deck. A temp check, log in your name and time. Then up the escalators to reception. Here you are assigned to your cabin, capsule, or seating.
I booked a capsule. Very satisfied with it n would choose that option again. Has a power point n small light.
The toilet and showers are clean. Good hot water and pressure. Only think lacking was really no where to hang your clothes or towel. You need to bring your own towel.
There are lockers with locks available at 30 baht n refunded when you bring back a special coin that is used.
Galley/Cafeteria has vending machines with a mark up about 5 baht to 7/11 prices. Variety of chips, candy , n drinks. Food/Meals are offered at 80 baht prepaid at the reception. I had one meal and was quite ok. You are allowed to bring your own food. There is a microwave, hot water, n a coffee vending machine.
Very little entertainment on board. Have some movies on a USB stick and can play on one of the many large TVs through out the ship. Travel with a few other riders a deck of cards would be nice.
The crew. Very polite. Very helpful. Very informative. Very professional in what their job and responsibilities are. Everyone I spoke to spoke english. Many had prior experience on ships and cruise ships. The owner was on the sail. Could be seen on the ship talking with the crew. Whats good and what needs to improve. I even had a brief chat with the owner on the car deck on departure. Easy going guy and wish him success.
Personally I will do again. A very good and enjoyable time well spent. A great option to add to any motosai trip.
LineApp ID @theseahorseferry

Thank you.. highly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 10:51 AM, HammerMan said:

Thank you.. highly appreciated.

Good day, checking in to see of there has been any change in the vax requirement for passengers? We are not vaxxed. Is it possible to board with a positive (negative) lol, test result. If so then we are good to go.

Thanks