VIDEO: Elderly Thai murdered in U.S. in ‘racially motivated’ attack

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Officers also arrested 20-year-old  " Maylasia " Goo

Not " Malaysia "

She is a Latina Not an Asian.

Yeah I thought she is probably Latina because I found a link listing many of her relatives and all Latino names. But her first name sounds more black. Maybe Blatino.

On 02/02/2021 at 9:46 PM, Jingthing said:

Not a typo. What I can gather online is that she is from a Latino family or maybe Filipino as they often have Latin names. The accused male has a common black name. The San Francisco neighborhood was in the Western addition historically a black neighborhood. Both accused are from Daly City a nearby heavily Filipino city.

Maybe the suspect(s) visted Thailand in the past and were dual priced because they were foreigners and that was their motive? Who's to say...

Edited by BobinBKK
Spelling
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If that's true why isn't it in the American press?

I'm an ex San Franciscan but long ago and I know its changed a lot. Massive Asian population.  It never occurred to me that Asians experienced racism there until I was walking down the street with a Vietnamese guy and some white guy started shouting ugly anti immigrant slurs at him. It was on a street full of Chinese businesses in the Richmond district so I guess he was there to target Asians.

Funny. Be anti Asian in San Francisco or even the Bay Area is a joke. You can walk for blocks in San Francisco and see only Asians. It is a giant China town, similar in many ways to BKK. 

5 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Maybe the suspect(s) visted Thailand in the past and were dual priced because they were foreigners and that was their motive? Who's to say...

This one is very tempting, but I will keep my mouth shut. If it was only for the dual price, I don't see a reason to kill anybody, specially someone that can not defend himself.

4 hours ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

Funny. Be anti Asian in San Francisco or even the Bay Area is a joke. You can walk for blocks in San Francisco and see only Asians. It is a giant China town, similar in many ways to BKK. 

Yeah after living in the Bay Area for so long living in Thailand was no biggie. Much better Asian food overall back there too.

On 02/02/2021 at 9:46 PM, Jingthing said:

Not a typo. What I can gather online is that she is from a Latino family or maybe Filipino as they often have Latin names. The accused male has a common black name. The San Francisco neighborhood was in the Western addition historically a black neighborhood. Both accused are from Daly City a nearby heavily Filipino city.

Are they suggesting that people of colour are racists? I don't believe ????

Unfortunately there are other forms of racism, not just African vs Caucasian.  Things like this do happen in SF, not a comfortable thing for television news to cover.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/02/26/new-video-elderly-asian-man-recycling-theft-security-guards/

The thugs seem to prefer the elderly.  That tells you something.

Edited by bendejo
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:46 PM, Jingthing said:

Maylasia Goo does not sounds Latino at all.It doesnt matter where the suspect lived or where they originally came from,what he done was simply cruel and vicious.No one has the right to foster racism regardless of your ethnicity,colors,and gender.And that should not be tolerated.

4 minutes ago, peacemaker001 said:

Maylasia Goo does not sounds Latino at all.It doesnt matter where the suspect lived or where they originally came from,what he done was simply cruel and vicious.No one has the right to foster racism regardless of your ethnicity,colors,and gender.And that should not be tolerated.

I agree that name doesn't sound Latino. Her first name sounds more black. Goo I have no idea.The reason I brought up the Latino thing is that I saw a link listing her relatives. All Latino names but possibly Filipino. The only reason this might be relevant is the charge by the victims family of a hate crime.

19 hours ago, Sujo said:

I thought it was maylasia goo. Was that a typo?

All I can think of is a character in the TV cop show "Hill Street Blues", she was a lady of the evening and her name was "Lotta Goo".  But Goo was spelled Gui, and she had to correct the cops who said "Miss Gwee": "It's pronounced 'Goo', 'Lotta Goo'".  Not a real person so can't be the granddaughter.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, Jingthing said:

Not exactly. The family is suggesting this was a racist hate crime. To prove that, information about the races of the perps is relevant. If he didn't say anything that anyone heard, I don't see how they can prove it was a hate crime unless there is some kind of outside trail like from social media. 

What is Considered a Hate Crime in California? | Criminal Law (esfandilawfirm.com)

The perp, Antoine Watson. is black.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/02/03/update-suspect-in-brutal-assault-on-elderly-san-francisco-man-pleads-not-guilty/

19 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

All I can think of is a character in the TV cop show "Hill Street Blues", she was a lady of the evening and her name was "Lotta Goo".  But Goo was spelled Gui, and she had to correct the cops who said "Miss Gwee": "It's pronounced 'Goo', 'Lotta Goo'".  Not a real person so can't be the granddaughter.

Gui is a Chinese surname. 

When I lived in S.F  it was mostly in the Mission District and Bernal Heights. Heavily Latino areas, fairly dodgy areas. There was some tension  and violence towards whites moving in related to hostility towards gentrification  and also homophobia. One house I moved into was vandalized with painted slurs. So much for the myth of multicultural paradise.

But on the streets there I never had a problem which I presumed was because my physical appearance can pass as Latino  "Blondies" weren't so lucky.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Not sure what makes them believe this was "racially motivated"... from knowing this area, I really suspect that it was not.  But of course I could be wrong, I just hope they have good reason to say this.  America is very violent, it doesn't matter what race you are.