House Democrats ask Trump to testify at his impeachment trial

webfact

Someone is going to have to explain to me how we got from this in 2019, to "the most secure election in history" in 2020.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/04/755066523/cyber-experts-warn-of-vulnerabilities-facing-2020-election-machines

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/31/754412132/what-you-need-to-know-about-u-s-election-security-and-voting-machines

So far, no takers.  Anyone?

I'd add that the linked TIME article explains it nicely.  And it has nothing to do with fixing any machines.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The machines are really immaterial. In all contested areas the votes have been hand counted. And in all instances the machine votes have been confirmed being accurate.

I'm not aware of any states that did a complete hand count of ballots that have been inspected to make sure they were legitimately cast.  Maricopa county in Arizona is headed for one, but the county election Board of Supervisors keeps pushing back on the Arizona state senate subpoenas to turn over the machines and the ballots for an audit.

Regarding Georgia...

https://billmoyers.com/story/georgias-hand-count-of-2020-ballots-was-no-risk-limiting-audit/

So rather than an audit, recount, and re-canvass, it [the presidential re-tally] seems to have been their first canvass, because it’s the first time they looked to make sure that they actually had all their ballots accounted for. If they’re going to just keep counting until you get the same answer the machine did, that’s obviously biased procedure. That’s nowhere close to a risk-limiting audit.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, impulse said:

Someone is going to have to explain to me how we got from this in 2019, to "the most secure election in history" in 2020.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/04/755066523/cyber-experts-warn-of-vulnerabilities-facing-2020-election-machines

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/31/754412132/what-you-need-to-know-about-u-s-election-security-and-voting-machines

I'd add that the linked TIME article explains it nicely.  And it has nothing to do with fixing any machines.

Yes, vulnerabilities were identified a year in advance, steps were taken, and the election was secure.

I don't have a comprehensive list of actions taken to deal with the vulnerabilities, but having paper ballots as back-ups to the machine votes was one of them.  That is how the election results in Georgia were audited.

Regardless, there's a big difference between thinking there may have been machine hacks, and providing evidence of hacks.  You don't overturn election results because you think there might have been hacks when you have no evidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

You do understand that when contested they are hand counted dont you.

Do you also understand this has been done to death and the courts have laughed at it.

60 attempts and nothing. You still waiting for the kraken?

Here is a tip for you. Anyone can write anything. But when it comes to presenting it under oath they run away.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 12:29 AM, heybruce said:

Yes, vulnerabilities were identified a year in advance, steps were taken, and the election was secure.

I don't have a comprehensive list of actions taken to deal with the vulnerabilities, but having paper ballots as back-ups to the machine votes was one of them.  That is how the election results in Georgia were audited.

Regardless, there's a big difference between thinking there may have been machine hacks, and providing evidence of hacks.  You don't overturn election results because you think there might have been hacks when you have no evidence.

I don't claim to know they were hacked.  But it would be nice to know, eh?  

Here's what I do know.  I have several Windows computers and a few Android devices.  Every week, I get a notice from my anti virus company with an update and a list of new exploits they've added in the last week.  So the idea that "steps were taken" isn't very reassuring. 

Dominion and the machine users have no way of knowing if the machines have been hacked.  Any more than I or Microsoft know if my Windows machines have been hacked.  Or you know whether your computer has been hacked.  There's a simple way to find out...  So, let's do an audit.  That's all I'm saying.

Edited by onthedarkside
quoted material from dubious source removed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 2/7/2021 at 4:35 AM, impulse said:

I don't claim to know they were hacked.  But it would be nice to know, eh?  

Here's what I do know.  I have several Windows computers and a few Android devices.  Every week, I get a notice from my anti virus company with an update and a list of new exploits they've added in the last week.  So the idea that "steps were taken" isn't very reassuring. 

Dominion and the machine users have no way of knowing if the machines have been hacked.  Any more than I or Microsoft know if my Windows machines have been hacked.  Or you know whether your computer has been hacked.  There's a simple way to find out...  So, let's do an audit.  That's all I'm saying.

The only problem with your fear being that the machines weren't linked to the internet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SimpleMan555 said:

Given the gravity of the events leading to the HOR Articles of Impeachment, and the serious question of the constitutionality regarding a Senate trial after the accused has left office, I would think the appropriate course of action would be to petition the DOJ to investigate. Should the investigations and the results of a Grand Jury demand, The DOJ and Federal court could then move forward with a proper trial.

Any U.S. Attorney is empowered to investigate and prosecute violations of federal law, e.g., "insurrection." The fact that none have done so in this instance says volumes about the Democrat Party impeachment case.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Any U.S. Attorney is empowered to investigate and prosecute violations of federal law, e.g., "insurrection." The fact that none have done so in this instance says volumes about the Democrat Party impeachment case.

But all of the current US Attorneys are Trump appointees, since Biden has not fired any of them, having decided to leave that decision to the new Attorney General.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The statute of limitation is FAR from over.

16 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

But all of the current US Attorneys are Trump appointees, since Biden has not fired any of them, having decided to leave that decision to the new Attorney General.  

Didn't they all swear an oath to uphold the Constitution...and if Joe Biden had any doubt about this, he could have fired any or all of them the day he took office. 

35 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The fact that none have done so in this instance says volumes about the Democrat Party impeachment case.

Only thing it says to me is they are keeping their powder dry until the impeachment is finalised. Double jeopardy is not in play.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Didn't they all swear an oath to uphold the Constitution...and if Joe Biden had any doubt about this, he could have fired any or all of them the day he took office. 

All prosecutors exercise "prosecutorial discretion" in deciding which cases to bring without violating the Constitution.  

All or nearly all of the Trump appointees to the US Attorney's offices will indeed be fired by the new Attorney General.  

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

There were several audits carried out, confirming the results and in one instance I am aware of increased the Dems count by about 3,000.  

Your sprouting the same matter time and again seems like you are painting yourself into a corner, and unable to open your mind to consider alternative opinions.

No need for an audit, everyone knows hacking electronic voting machines and other computer networks is impossible...just ask the federal government.

US agencies hacked in monthslong global cyberspying campaign

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hackers broke into the networks of the Treasury and Commerce departments as part of a monthslong global cyberespionage campaign revealed Sunday, just days after the prominent cybersecurity firm FireEye said it had been breached in an attack..https://federalnewsnetwork.com/cybersecurity/2020/12/us-looking-into-possible-treasury-department-computer-hack/

Massive hack of US government launches search for answers as Russia named top suspect

(CNN) Days after several US agencies confirmed their networks were compromised in a massive data breach, federal officials are still struggling to understand the scope of the damage -- highlighting the sophistication and breadth of an ongoing hacking campaign

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/16/politics/us-government-agencies-hack-uncertainty/index.html

• Like 1