THAI Responds to Alleged Dismissal of 400 Pilots

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The next 6 years sees  the A350 & 767 being masters of the skies due to their range , fuel economy & size. (not too big)

Even Emirites has realized this & wants to change their orders from the new 777X {due to be released in 2022 ) to the 767's

You mean the B-787?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The planes that are parked are obsolete. Why would you expect TG to keep flying  B747 and AB 340 when other airlines were phasing them out years ago because the aircraft consumed too much fuel? The B777 aircraft TG  is trying to dispose of are  20+years old and require some heavy maintenance.  The new aircraft pay for themselves in their fuel savings and additional payloads and range.

Work this one out for bad management. I once flew from Bkk to Phuket on a Thai airways 747...... Hardly a short haul aircraft..... 

1 minute ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Work this one out for bad management. I once flew from Bkk to Phuket on a Thai airways 747...... Hardly a short haul aircraft..... 

That would be because it was a long haul flight from somewhere (probably Europe) to Phuket, making a stop in Bangkok.  Or should they get everyone off and put them on two smaller aircraft?

Edited by josephbloggs

2 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

You mean the B-787?

787 what a nice aeroplane that is...... Had a flight on an NZ 787, quiet and comfortable .......A little strange though when you see the wings flex like a glider, but one of the best commercial airliners i've ever been on......I think it had Rolls Royce engines as well...... 

1 minute ago, SupermarineS6B said:

787 what a nice aeroplane that is...... Had a flight on an NZ 787, quiet and comfortable .......A little strange though when you see the wings flex like a glider, but one of the best commercial airliners i've ever been on......I think it had Rolls Royce engines as well...... 

Great aircraft.

Yeah, ANZ use rollers on their B-787's

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That would be because it was a long haul flight from somewhere (probably Europe) to Phuket, making a stop in Bangkok.  Or should they get everyone off and put them on two smaller aircraft?

Nah, it was an old bird that was at the end of its life, but four engines for such a short distance and everyone onboard boarded in Bangkok.....  I fly a lot and i tend to notice details like this...... Plus there was hardly anyone on it...   Why would an aeroplane of such size be stopping in Bangkok as Phuket has an international airport ?    Just seemed strange as Thai and Thai Smile have a lot commuter aircraft...    

8 hours ago, new2here said:

I do think the acquisition of new aircraft isn’t all that bad of an idea.

In the short term it’s going to drive down their line maintenance costs markedly 

For example, I recall their 772’s are ready for fleet removal and that will help as that fleet type is now around the 14 year mark with some of their oldest 772 being acquired in late ‘06

Overall their net fleet age isn’t too bad, but that’s largely driven by their A388’s and 787’s... so... to me, if they replaced their older 772s that would help tremendously with not only line maintenance costs, but also boot network reliability... and of course have a huge impact on driving down CASM (Cost per Available Seat Mile).

So... while i agree the optics of adding fleet now seems perhaps odd or unwise, i also recognize that given the overall interest rate environment is at very very low levels, this actually might be a good time to borrow for fleet renewal projects....: and by moving to a more fuel efficient fleet should help drive down operational costs on a post-restructuring basis.

For anyone wondering what a 772 is, it is a 777/200. Thanks Google.

Well this is one of those conundrums where I don't know where it ends up.

'If' you were creating a new TG from scratch the idea of a mid range airline, something along the lines of a JetBlue in the US, with a mid range single aircraft fleet of 787's makes total sense.

But how you square that circle with the existing crippling debt and totally nonsensical fleet, I just don't know.

I suspect that ultimately the Government will simply wipe out their debts, put most of the fleet up for sale and simply start again 

The fact that the 78X was designed to take multiple engine suppliers I'm sure also appeals to various in the RR/TG procurement dept!

Edited by GinBoy2

Thai's service BKK to Perth Australia on the 787 Dreamliners was truly great.

Also enjoyed their long haul (747~400) flights to Europe several times.

Only airline which I had flown where the crew left the galley open overnight to go and help yourself to beer,wine, and snacks. Guess they wanted to have a nap and not be bothered by the ping pong from someone in seat 64A at 3am wanting a glass of wine!

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

That is because the wide bodies work well with Thai network planning on domestic flights too( before covid)

As long as they can keep them flying full , producing revenue and avoiding ground time, crew utilization also

a factor.

• Like 2

Thai were probably looking at the B787s from Norwegian following the collapse of Norwegian Air UK, 13 B787-9, and Norwegian Long Haul, 8 B787-8 & 13 B787-9. All RR Trent engines. Probably hoping for cheap deals but whether you can get the finance when bankrupt is questionable. Just reconfiguring an a/c internally to be compatible with their current fleet is also not cheap. 

Edited by tso310

On 2/8/2021 at 5:34 PM, colinneil said:

So Thai airways think that spending billions on 10 new planes is going to solve their problems, crazy or what.

They have planes parked up that they cannot sell, so lets buy more, unbloody believable.

Come on Colin, you know it's all about backhanders, and who cares about the current fleet and what's for sale, nothing to do with the goose and golden egg. 

On 2/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, scorecard said:

The reality is that they have no business plan that does not rely heavily on foreign tourism. They will stall as long as they can delaying their foreign creditors until mass tourism is revived."

Well there is an answer > no tourists therefore revenues down > easy answer > raise fares.   

Thai accounting 101, profit down, increase prices.... 

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Come on Colin, you know it's all about backhanders, and who cares about the current fleet and what's for sale, nothing to do with the goose and golden egg. 

Seen before multiple times in government dealings, many purchases go through an 'agent' which creates a slush fund / a trough.

Direct purchases not in the story.

On 2/8/2021 at 5:34 PM, colinneil said:

So Thai airways think that spending billions on 10 new planes is going to solve their problems, crazy or what.

They have planes parked up that they cannot sell, so lets buy more, unbloody believable.

You've been here long enough to understand that not many things make sense.

Perhaps a reason to love the country as much as we do...................lol

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 6:26 PM, Captain Monday said:

That is because the wide bodies work well with Thai network planning on domestic flights too( before covid)

As long as they can keep them flying full , producing revenue and avoiding ground time, crew utilization also

a factor.

If i recall correctly, one of the drivers to running a wide body on the BKKCNX sector was, in part, a way to capture some of the ULD-built, air cargo demand.

ULD (Unit Load Device) cargo movements are the more common way mid to large scale cargo shippers move and prefer to move their goods as it reduces their handling costs, tends to lower damages and loss issues and can be “built” onsite by the shipper... and a narrow-body, like the B73x or A32x family can’t accept ULD loads.

So, it made sense for TG to run at least one wide body per day (first morning sector is ideal) on that market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, new2here said:

If i recall correctly, one of the drivers to running a wide body on the BKKCNX sector was, in part, a way to capture some of the ULD-built, air cargo demand.

ULD (Unit Load Device) cargo movements are the more common way mid to large scale cargo shippers move and prefer to move their goods as it reduces their handling costs, tends to lower damages and loss issues and can be “built” onsite by the shipper... and a narrow-body, like the B73x or A32x family can’t accept ULD loads.

So, it made sense for TG to run at least one wide body per day (first morning sector is ideal) on that market.

Well this is a yes and no answer.

Cargo is transported on narrowbodies, albeit in limited quantities.

I work for Delta and we do a lot of cargo on the whole fleet. Last week I unloaded a sh**t load of flowers off a regional jet in preparation for Valentines day.

So you don't need to be operating the widebody fleet to ship cargo

I'm pretty sure that Thai Smile is shipping comfortably all the intra Thailand cargo on it's A32X aircraft

An A320 like a B737 has two cargo bins forward and aft. We normally load passenger bags in the forward bin and cargo in the aft for weight and balance reasons, but it's all dictated to us by the load planners who give us whats called a DSTG load plan

Edited by GinBoy2