China will 'eat our lunch,' Biden warns after clashing with Xi on most fronts

webfact

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Intelligent? Try brutal and domineering. 

“The incident at Premier indicates the growing tension between Zimbabwean citizens and Chinese nationals who are viewed as operating above the law and with impunity. The same Chinese mining company, Zhong Jian, was last November at the centre of controversy when it reportedly used an excavator to fill a mine shaft where scores of artisanal miners where working under. Only two bodies were recovered and the search was abandoned after the company’s general manager Yancey Feng said he wanted evidence there were 10 people missing from the nearby community."

https://www.newzimbabwe.com/chinese-nationals-severely-injured-fighting-artisanal-miners/

Are you really trying to compare one small incident by a Chinese company to the slaughter dished out by the US in scores of countries around the world just in recent history??

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Biden's policy is a page taken from Nixon's approach to play the China card against Russia and North Korea while adapting the policy to confront the current economic reality of a rising economic powerhouse. He has a foreign policy strategy and polar opposite from previous adminstration knee-jerk 'cold-war' policy that pushed for disengagement and non peaceful trade competition. Pompeo has been at the forefront pushing his confrontational rhetoric by consistently calling China an 'evil empire'. There really no room for amicable dialogue between both superpowers. It only result in no gains on the economic levels and no gains on the foreign policy levels. Biden's foreign policy strategy is sound and is the right approach. A wake-up call to the people to confront China on the trade fronts and gain open dialogue with China to contain Russia and North Korea. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Vietnam was originally part of China and called Nam Viet.

And I dont understand your argument when you compare Indian border skirmishes with carpet bombing by the US.......there is quite a difference you know.

Since my post was edited by the mods (not entirely sure why), your quote of my post doesn't make much sense. Not your fault, of course.

However, I made no comparison of Indian border skirmishes with carpet bombing by the US, or any other action. I did not mention Indian border skirmishes. I actually asked Natai Beach whether he considered India and Vietnam to be territories over which China had a claim, based on comments in a post of his which I quoted in my post.

I find your comment that Vietnam was originally part of China quite amusing. Yes, it was, until the 10th Century. Then the Chinese were booted out and Nam Viet (let's call it by its Chinese name of Nan Yue) became the independent precursor to modern Vietnam.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

You claim that Trump is directly responsible for all covid deaths in the US.  Since he isn't responsible for either 1, covid being created, or 2, covid entering the US, it can only be his response to covid that you are claiming makes him responsible for these deaths. 

Covid would have happened whether Trump was President or Hillary was, so in order to claim that Trump is responsible you either need to somehow provide some evidence that the deaths would not have occurred if Trump was not in power (and so Hillary would have been), or concede that you are arbitrarily claiming he takes responsibility simply because he was President at the time.

You need to work a little harder to pin all the covid deaths on Trump and further claim that this is something that he did "wrong" and made him a bad President.  You cannot, for example, say "look at how Obama dealt with covid and compare that to how Trump did".

Can you prove that covid would have been handled better if Trump was not President?  If not, then you cannot soundly lay all the blame at his feet.

At least you understand the deaths are due to Trump’s mishandling of the virus. He wasn't responsible for the creation of the virus nor it's entry into the US. Just his mishandling and lies.

So if we can't lay the blame for his management of the botched response. We also can't credit him for the strong economy before. Fair is fair.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

It would also be more accurate to say China has steadily lifted their people out of poverty while simultaneously emphasising the superiority of the Han culture to the detriment of all other indigenous cultures, and also exerting widespread controls over all aspects of their citizens private lives.

Cooperation is usually better than confrontation, but it is naive to assume that Chinese intentions in Asia-Pacific are altruistic and for the greater good of the region. 

Well, I am sorry to say... 

But in China, any person who is not Han, gets a huge advantage in life over Hans. What is that advantage? They are exempt from much of the ferocious competition that Hans Chinese face during their career. Examples:

- Non Hans get up to 10 extra points in Gao Kao (entrance exam) just for belonging to one of the minority ethnics. This 10 points literally could very well mean the difference between getting into a nice university or a "normal" one. (And of course in China when you graduate from a "nice" university your career chances skyrocket)

- Ethnic minorities can have as many kids as they want and they won't be fined. 

- Ethnic minorities can move their HuKou Ben (residence) to any city whenever they want. Whereas Hans are limited by their level of studies and their income to move their Hukou to certain cities (such as Shenzhen, Beijing, Guangzhou). And this of course, severely limits Hans careers, as not being able to transfer their Hukou to the city in which they want to work, basically means they can't work there (not able to buy a house, not able to school your kids in a public school - and private schools suck in China, and many other disadvantages). 

So not sure exactly about what you mean

Edited by ctxa
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 50centScamBagLusr said:

Right, and if you have the good fortune to be female and live in Xinjiang they stick you in a concentration camp. Then CCP goons and gimps rape you with an electric baton, just like old times in Tibet. Good 'ol CCP is a gift that just keeps on giving, since Tiananmen and before.

I was in Urumqi, capital of Xinjiang. Saw plenty of female locals…. 

Never been to Tibet though. 

Anyway it’s good though that you swallow the lies they tell you ???? Im sure Joseph Goebbels, a very smart guy when it came to propaganda, would be very content with people like you. In fact, you lost the time it takes to create a fake account to post propaganda. 

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, donnacha said:

Biden was an astonishingly bad choice of candidate, in a year when Covid all but guaranteed a Democrat win. You could have had Tulsi Gabbard. You could have had Andrew Yang. God help you, you could probably even have managed to get Bernie into office.

But, no. You picked Joe Biden. Well done. Well done everyone.

We argued in the past about which of us had the American plus read correctly. Same as today you are so wrong and I contend that only Biden could have beaten trump

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ctxa said:

Well, I am sorry to say... 

But in China, any person who is not Han, gets a huge advantage in life over Hans. What is that advantage? They are exempt from much of the ferocious competition that Hans Chinese face during their career. Examples:

- Non Hans get up to 10 extra points in Gao Kao (entrance exam) just for belonging to one of the minority ethnics. This 10 points literally could very well mean the difference between getting into a nice university or a "normal" one. (And of course in China when you graduate from a "nice" university your career chances skyrocket)

- Ethnic minorities can have as many kids as they want and they won't be fined. 

- Ethnic minorities can move their HuKou Ben (residence) to any city whenever they want. Whereas Hans are limited by their level of studies and their income to move their Hukou to certain cities (such as Shenzhen, Beijing, Guangzhou). And this of course, severely limits Hans careers, as not being able to transfer their Hukou to the city in which they want to work, basically means they can't work there (not able to buy a house, not able to school your kids in a public school - and private schools suck in China, and many other disadvantages). 

So not sure exactly about what you mean

Great. China gives its minorities more freedom to travel. What's more it gives them an incentive to do so. Just to get away from their brutal treatment.

China’s repression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang has forced those in the diaspora to protect their identity from afar.

The targeting of the Uighurs isn’t limited to the camps. Since 2016, dozens of graveyards and religious sites have been destroyed. The Uighur language has been banned in Xinjiang schools in favor of Mandarin Chinese.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/10/chinas-war-on-uighur-culture/616513/

And about their alleged right to have as many children as they please.

China cuts Uighur births with IUDs, abortion, sterilization

The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country’s Han majority to have more children.

While individual women have spoken out before about forced birth control, the practice is far more widespread and systematic than previously known, according to an AP investigation based on government statistics, state documents and interviews with 30 ex-detainees, family members and a former detention camp instructor. The campaign over the past four years in the far west region of Xinjiang is leading to what some experts are calling a form of “demographic genocide.”

https://apnews.com/article/269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Great. China gives its minorities more freedom to travel. What's more it gives them an incentive to do so. Just to get away from their brutal treatment.

China’s repression of the Uighurs in Xinjiang has forced those in the diaspora to protect their identity from afar.

The targeting of the Uighurs isn’t limited to the camps. Since 2016, dozens of graveyards and religious sites have been destroyed. The Uighur language has been banned in Xinjiang schools in favor of Mandarin Chinese.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/10/chinas-war-on-uighur-culture/616513/

And about their alleged right to have as many children as they please.

China cuts Uighur births with IUDs, abortion, sterilization

The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country’s Han majority to have more children.

While individual women have spoken out before about forced birth control, the practice is far more widespread and systematic than previously known, according to an AP investigation based on government statistics, state documents and interviews with 30 ex-detainees, family members and a former detention camp instructor. The campaign over the past four years in the far west region of Xinjiang is leading to what some experts are calling a form of “demographic genocide.”

https://apnews.com/article/269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c

How good to see that certain countries (ehem, the US) caring about Muslims (only those living in Xinjiang though). The Muslims living in Afghanistan, or Iraq are terrorist who posses "mass destruction" weapons and therefore they should invade their country, in the name of freedom.... Yep "Guantanamo Bay (in Cuba), Abu Ghraib, Camp Bucca,...." the true definition of personal freedom and NOT human rights abuses at all. If Voltaire was alive he himself would certify it 100%. 

Mate, you should see what some Chinese people say about what the US government does. If I told such things to any American citizen, he would laugh and say, what a load of commie propaganda bullsh**t.

Which is the exact same reaction Chinese people have when they hear those things about Xinjiang and Tibet. What a load of American bullsh**t. 

But at the end of the day, no side is able to province evidence to support neither side claims. I see some articles which provide what are supposed to be some papers signed by some CCP authority on what to do with Xinjiang reeducation camps, well, I could very well make one such paper right now with Photoshop. Then they interview some locals, which I can assure you that if Chinese media interviewed American citizens about life in the US they would also say very bad things. Because that is the essence of propaganda, and distorting things. And you will say Chinese are brainwashed by CCP propaganda, which sure it's true. But you yourself are also brainwashed by propaganda, however you will think you are not because you are convinced that it is the truth so you think it's those who think differently that are brainwashed.

After having grown up in Europe, then lived in China for many years, and having dealt with politicians from both sides constantly I can tell you they are all liars, they don't care about anything or anyone but themselves. Don't think it's only the Chinese politicians that are this way, every single one from every country on earth. If every American thinks China is good and every Chinese thinks America is good, they both have no excuses to put sanctions on each other, to prevent one another from growing, to cause the other one to lose money. That is the key, money and power. And that is what governments care about.

So bottom line is, neither life in the West is as bad as certain Chinese claim. Neither life in China is as bad as certain Western people claim. 

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1