Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

snoop1130

Last time I got one I went to the clinic up the road, handed over driving licence (for details) and 100Baht, 2 minutes and no examination later I had a med cert. Going to make a huge difference to the road toll as no money for booze today, maybe.

Cheers

At Banglamung Land Transport Office (Pattaya), they have previously required a medical certificate for the 2 year and first 5 year license - none for renewal of the 5 year license. As many posters note, it could be obtained for around 100 to 150 baht and in many cases no examination - ask for it, pay the money, and get it.  This Certificate as I recall was the same as required by Thai Embassies/Consulates when applying for a retirement Visa (Non-OA and Non-OX) and basically states one does not have certain communicable diseases or alcoholism which are the ones listed in the Immigration Act to bar entry (if I recall correctly, COVID-19 was just added to the list).

However, a year of so ago, after a school teacher/principal had an epileptic seizure and struck some children, there was a mention of adding a 2nd medical certificate proposed which certified that one didn't have certain conditions - as I recall it included epilepsy, heart condition, and diabetes.  However it was, at least until now, never implemented.

The current announcement on the DLT's Facebook page, source for original posting (using the "translate" feature contains the following:

There are two parts of the health certification and the medical examination section must be. It is shown that person has no congenital disease or condition of disease that the medical professionals see may be dangerous while driving

Since it references 2 parts it appears the new certification that will be required will not be the same one as most of the posters mention and may require more than a cursory examination.

Once these new requirements are in place, it will be helpful if someone can post the new form(s) and their experience in obtaining them and in obtaining their license, especially the 5 year renewal - mine will be due in September this year.

I am not sure how the OP concluded it would apply to the purchase of a vehicle as the "translation" appears to apply only to driving license(s).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

There certainly are some medical conditions that would make a person unfit to steer a motor vehicle, for instance:

- severe cognitive disability

- schizophrenia and certain pronounced personality disorders

- epilepsy

- motoric disabilities (i.e. uncontrollable jerking or twitching body movements)

- advanced cataract

But honestly, how many accidents are caused by drivers that suffer from any of these. Almost none.

The motorists who in fact ARE responsible for the deadly mayhem on our streets are those who lack training, don't know traffic rules, don't care about traffic rules, drive too fast, are distracted while behind the wheel, are hot-tempered road rowdies, drive stone drunk -- or, actually, sometimes all of these combined..

And no medical certificate in the world will safeguard against these idiots.

Like so many other kneejerk regulations in this country, this one will solve preciously nothing, let alone help bring the appalling accident rate down by any meaningful numbers.

"But honestly, how many accidents are caused by drivers that suffer from any of these. Almost none."

You should refrain from unsubstantiated statements.

The problems on the roads are primarily down to culture and personality trait, not something that can be addressed in the short term.

It cannot be denied that there has been improvements in the last 20 years and we can only hope that will accelerate, but one thing is for sure, continual whinging is not going to speed things up.

• Sad 1

I remember years ago when i first got my Thai driving licence. 

They said i had to get a medical cerificate.

I thought this is going to take a few hours and cost a fortune.

Just outside my wife said pull in here and for 100 back some 13 year old spotty kid gave me a medical certificate all stamped for 100 baht.

Right then i fell in love with this country.

14 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

- severe cognitive disability

- schizophrenia and certain pronounced personality disorders

- epilepsy

- motoric disabilities (i.e. uncontrollable jerking or twitching body movements)

- advanced cataract

One or more of which are mandatory to obtain a Bangkok cab driver's license. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Litlos said:

Last time I got one I went to the clinic up the road, handed over driving licence (for details) and 100Baht, 2 minutes and no examination later I had a med cert. Going to make a huge difference to the road toll as no money for booze today, maybe.

Cheers

Different places, different practice.

There is an old hospital round the corner from me that still runs a clinic and I got mine there, 105 baht. Fairly thorough exam, stethoscope, blood pressure, eye test etc.

The few on this forum are insignificant in the overall license applications.

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

The Facebook post from the DLT which the OP linked to doesn't say anything about medical certificate to register a vehicle, I suspect that's just a wrong translation by Thaivisa, because as you correctly pointed out, it wouldn't make any sense.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issue is when you want to buy a Motorbike or Car you will need a medical certificate.  Did you miss that point in the OP 

The OP states that "It also applies to all forms of land transport and medical certificate is even required to be shown when purchasing a new vehicle."

As per jackdd the DLT announcement on its FB page says nothing about needing a medical certificate to buy a vehicle. I expect it's just poor translation by The Nation, from where TV got the story.

That said, last year a former employee of mine tried to buy a car for her parents (a Nissan March, in Chumphon) and was told by the dealership she couldn't because she didn't have a driving license! As if cars were flying off the forecourt last year and they didn't need the sale ...

Oh my god can this country get any crazier, medical certificate lol check to see if you are breathing and walking yep 100bht thanks!!

I've got my appointment on the 25th feb to get my new bike and car licences(I have all paperwork approved by transport office) I wonder if they will now say you need a medical certificate! 

Edited by Badrabbit

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It also applies to all forms of land transport and medical certificate is even required to be shown when purchasing a new vehicle.

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, surely having a driving license would be more appropriate than a medical certificate. Not that a license would be any help in reducing accidents the way a lot drive.

Just now, foreverlomsak said:

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, surely having a driving license would be more appropriate than a medical certificate. Not that a license would be any help in reducing accidents the way a lot drive.

OK silly follow up does this apply to bicycles (electric or not) as well?

5 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Oh my god can this country get any crazier, medical certificate lol check to see if you are breathing and walking yep 100bht thanks!!

I've got my appointment on the 25th feb to get my new bike and car licences(I have all paperwork approved by transport office) I wonder if they will now say you need a medical certificate! 

why should anyone who wished to drive, not have their medical condition checked?  Makes me wonder how many people on here are hiding conditions that would disqualify them from driving anywhere but in Thailand.  Concerning I would say. 

• Sad 2

Unless they changed things since my last 5 years renewal, I had to go to Immigration to get paperwork from them to renew my drivers license.  When I did not see the fee of 500 Baht on the fee board and they did not want to give me a receipt, I know something was up.  I kept asking for a receipt over and over and made enough noise and after opening the door to the supervisors office, they figured it was best to just give me my money back.  It was a scam and the money was to be split between the Immigration and the big shot where the license was renewed.  I posted this when it happened.

When I applied for 2 Thai driving licences I thought it best to go prepared so I visited a local clinic to obtain a medical certificate, which was produced quicker than I could get the 60 baht out of my wallet, the only check was counting the money.

I thoroughly enjoy living here, one of the reasons is the daily comedy reports ????????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

As per jackdd the DLT announcement on its FB page says nothing about needing a medical certificate to buy a vehicle. I expect it's just poor translation by The Nation, from where TV got the story.

That said, last year a former employee of mine tried to buy a car for her parents (a Nissan March, in Chumphon) and was told by the dealership she couldn't because she didn't have a driving license! As if cars were flying off the forecourt last year and they didn't need the sale ...

My Thai partner has purchased 3 vehicles from dealers here in Pattaya (2 from Honda and 1 from Mitsubishi) with loans from a Thai bank without having a driving license. Likewise for obtaining 1st class insurance on them.  In each case, I was the driver. My partner did get a driving license afterward and now drives one of the vehicles.   

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kotsak said:

Not for renewals of the 5 year driving license.

That may be true for the LTO where you got a renewal but where I went it was definitely a requirement.

Everyones' mileage  is subject to the vagaries of the clerk on the other side of the counter..

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

why should anyone who wished to drive, not have their medical condition checked?  Makes me wonder how many people on here are hiding conditions that would disqualify them from driving anywhere but in Thailand.  Concerning I would say. 

What's concerning mate is that the medical certificate is a joke, 5 yrs ago I got a certificate the test was, " you feel okay" checked my BP and certificate was given, now that's concerning!!

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Let me get this straight.  I want to buy my GF, or one if my kids a car or Motorbike. They already have a license, I already have a license, and we all had to have a medical certificate to obtain said license, but to now buy the car as a gift I will have to go have a physical again.  Can someone please tell me these folks are just plain frigging out of touch with reality or us it April fools day. Wait on it next week you will need a medical certificate to go buy God damned groceries, just ludicrous.

It used to be possible for Thai citizens, to select to pay extra for a lifetime lasting drivers license.  My wife has one of these.

Edited by Xonax

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The department said the move was to help reduce road accidents in the country, which is notorious for its dangerous roads which claim more than 20,000 deaths annually.

Because we all know that the reason for these accidents is that unhealthy people are driving the cars.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The department said the move was to help reduce road accidents in the country, which is notorious for its dangerous roads which claim more than 20,000 deaths annually.

Yeah, that'll fix the root cause of the problem; proving that you have a pulse.