Over 2,000 killed and 130,000 injured on Thailand’s roads in 2021

webfact

39 minutes ago, slammma said:

According to traffic death statistics by country from Wikipedia, which has data compiled from various sources including the WHO, Thailand does indeed have the worst road fatality stats in Asia. Per 100k inhabitants, 32.7 people die every year. With a population of 70M, that's 22,890 road deaths per year, and it is unclear if that includes death in the ambulance on the way to the hospital or shortly after arrival. Here are the stats for SE Asia:

1998931640_ScreenShot2021-02-17at12_38_32PM.png.309f6594cfbd23c4ed50fea7b8aa0043.png

I included Hong Kong, which is not in SE Asia, but has the lowest road fatalities in Asia, and just about the lowest in the world. Given the urgency of this crisis, a sober approach to mitigating the carnage would be to see how our neighbors manage public road safety. It is startling to see that Cambodia has half the fatalities. Thailand is a wealthier and likely more educated country than Cambodia, so I strongly doubt that intelligence or poverty are the driving factors to Thai roads soaking in blood. Something else is going on and it is incumbent upon the government to figure it out. Start with a thorough review of how it's done properly in Hong Kong, Singapore, and even the Philippines, which has 1/3 the carnage.

PISA EDUCATIONAL TABLES 

"

According to the survey, Thailand ranked 56th for maths, 66th for reading, and 52nd for sciences.

Thai pupils recorded a score of 393 points in reading, far below the OECD average of 487 points. In sciences, Thai students scored 426 points, much worse than the international average of 489. And in mathematics, Thais scored 419 points, well below the OECD average of 489 points.

Thailand’s reading performance in PISA 2018 was lower than in any previous assessment, and 16 points lower than in PISA 2015"
This indicates indeed that education /intelligence is a significant part of the problem- the greater wealth simply provides more access to the instruments of death (vehicles) . Add to that significant cultural practices (Amulets, selfishness on the roads,appalling foresight ,ill discipline etc.) and you have the perfect storm . They don’t care,so why should the authorities? 

• Like 1

So 25,000 cases and 82 deaths from covid has brought a country to its knees yet 130,000 injured and 2,000 deaths up to date oin road accidents this year is normal? I would take my chances without a mask on the streets rather than drive on the streets!

Edited by Dazz1
Missed something
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

alcohol also plays a part in a lot of crashes in Thailand .. it'll need more than a medical to cut the toll ..

Very true. But alcohol is a biproduct of a set of much bigger problems amongst Thai drivers, which - it should be remembered - are primarily male.

These wider problems include: ignorance; supreme arrogance; and a very deep lack of consideration for other people. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

This indicates indeed that education /intelligence is a significant part of the problem- the greater wealth simply provides more access to the instruments of death (vehicles) .

By every PISA metric I just checked, the Philippines fares worse than Thailand. Yet, the Philippines has 1/3 the road carnage. http://www.oecd.org/pisa/data/ 1533527400_ScreenShot2021-02-17at1_45_57PM.png.7d0e8ea3df6c32ff918627b6485bfb73.png

Edited by slammma

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Over 2,000 killed and 130,000 injured on Thailand’s roads in 2021

Reuters.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

The year might be less than 8 weeks old but data released on Tuesday reveals the shocking amount of people who have been injured or killed on Thailand’s roads already in 2021.

According to Thailand’s Road Safety Collaboration, a non-departmental body aimed at improving road safety in the country, 2,047 people have been killed and 131,282 people injured on Thailand’s road since the turn of the year.

The stats include 64 fatalities on Monday, 5 of which were foreign nationals.

If the numbers of fatalities and injuries continue at the same rate, Thailand can expect in excess of 20,000 deaths and ONE MILLION injured on its roads by the end of the calendar year.

Thailand’s dangerous roads are of course no secret.

In 2015, a study by the World Health Organisation found that Thailand had the second highest number of road fatalities per capita in the world, second only to war-torn Libya.

And when it comes to motorcycle deaths per capita, Thailand ranks number one in the world.

In the same year, at a United Nations forum, the Thai government vowed to halve the number of fatalities by 2020, yet that a year passed the deadline and the authorities in Thailand are a long way short of their target. 

The news comes as Thailand’s Department of Land Transport (DLT) last week introduced new measures which it said would help improve road safety standards.

As of this coming Friday, anyone applying for a new license or renewing an expired license will need to provide a medical certificate stating they do not have any underlying medical conditions that may impair their driving.

The medical certificate will need to be issued by a doctor and a statement from the driver confirming their fitness to drive must also be submitted.

Applicants will then be required to undergo tests for colour blindness, eyesight and reaction  time. 

DLT director general Chirute Visalachitra said that as a driver’s physical fitness deteriorates with age the ministry needs to ensure the applicants’ driver ability is not affected.

A medical certificate will also need to be presented for anyone purchasing a new vehicle, the DLT said.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-16

If Those on motorbikes could wear their helmets all the time, MANY would be saved!! Also its TOO easy to get a drivers license!

5 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

The numbers of deaths reported is basically meaningless . Perhaps two separate numbers, those who died on scene and those who died in transit to or in hospital as a result of the accident.  Medical certificates to obtain/renew a driving license or to purchase a new vehicle are also of little value.  The ONLY thing that will ever stop carnage on Thailand's roads is police patrols on the roads stopping motorists driving dangerously before they cause or are in an accident.  Cameras may catch speeders and add to the coffers but do nothing to stop other forms of dangerous driving.  Many also learn to operate a motor vehicle being taught by friends or family members who are themselves dangerous drivers.  Start in ALL schools at about age 10-12 with some serious training to include the laws and why there are laws, what to do when a tire blows, brakes fail, driving through water and many other possibilities.  Prior to getting a license there should be 'on the road' training for several hours with a QUALIFIED teacher. 

What to do when a tyre blows ?? Stop the car and jack up the offending wheel and replace with the spare .

80 dead from Covid, and the entire nations economy was shut down. Tourism industry was decimated. Millions of jobs lost. Yet, thousands die on the roads, and I do not see any highways shut down. Nor any real measures being taken to improve road safety.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. They never have cared. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police or the hapless highway patrol will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the system.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police franchisees offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

It cannot be down to the person who buys the car.

I bought a car for my wife.

People buy cars for their kids.

It is the insurance companies that should ask to see the licences of the drivers.

You are joking surely. The insurance companies will be glad to accept the money from unlicensed drivers knowing that they won't have to pay out on any claims. The insurance companies along with banks are the biggest crooks and thieves in the world.

• Like 1

In many other countries in the world these statistics (which we read of year after year) would not be tolerated. Thai Governments seem to disregard these deaths and injuries without making any attempt to reduce them to figures of an acceptable normality!

Speed cameras, drunk drivers prosecuted, vehicles confiscated, speed bumps could all be installed -- the biggest problem is the corruption within the police! However, perhaps dismissing all found of taking bribes and cancelling all pension payments would be a start!

But Life is cheap in some eyes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Interesting. What make Lampang so much worse than Lamphun? Ranong has no major highways and is not a thoroughfare province? Yet Nan is quite high up there.

I don't know the details to prove this, but would suggest looking at where the new construction in a province has gone through existing communities. Speed on the open roadways is certainly one consideration as to deaths, but what about the current highway expansion construction seemingly everywhere. Going through town should involve reduced speeds enforced with traffic lights and speed humps (not speed bumps).
I PREFER bicycling, but our Amphur has had its road widened with no concern as to the community - dividing the main street market with increased traffic that now goes faster due to the widened roads. Different key stores on each side. There are literally no options or consideration given to pedestrians or bikes, and some locations are now inaccessible except by motorized vehicle. For the majority of the inhabitants, that only leaves motorcycles as an option.

• Like 1

A post with a photo that was not related to Thailand has been removed as well as the replies.

Posts containing content that was copy and pasted from some sites without a supporting link have been removed.

Some troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

12 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

The numbers of deaths reported is basically meaningless . Perhaps two separate numbers, those who died on scene and those who died in transit to or in hospital as a result of the accident.  Medical certificates to obtain/renew a driving license or to purchase a new vehicle are also of little value.  The ONLY thing that will ever stop carnage on Thailand's roads is police patrols on the roads stopping motorists driving dangerously before they cause or are in an accident.  Cameras may catch speeders and add to the coffers but do nothing to stop other forms of dangerous driving.  Many also learn to operate a motor vehicle being taught by friends or family members who are themselves dangerous drivers.  Start in ALL schools at about age 10-12 with some serious training to include the laws and why there are laws, what to do when a tire blows, brakes fail, driving through water and many other possibilities.  Prior to getting a license there should be 'on the road' training for several hours with a QUALIFIED teacher. 

This must be the only country I have been to where the police do not patrol the roads. Just what is the point of checkpoints.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

And what is anybody (who should) be doing about it? The answer, is nothing of any use, not this year, or last year, or the year before that and for the last 20 years.

I condemn this government and those predecessors whose irresponsibility and inaction are the cause of these awful numbers.

What hurts me the most is that this serious matter will will not be properly addressed and the death and suffering will continue.

I'm a little worried you are caring too much! If Thais cared as much for their safety as you do, the problem would have been solved already. This is a country that is satisfied with 'good enough'.

If you spend anytime driving on the roads in Thailand it's obvious; even "Blind Freddy" can see how they thoughtlessly kill and maim each other.

Total maniacs; clueless morons everywhere you drive. 

Getting home accident and injury free is a bonus; narrowly escaping the insanity of Thai's reckless driving habits. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

I'm a little worried you are caring too much! If Thais cared as much for their safety as you do, the problem would have been solved already. This is a country that is satisfied with 'good enough'.

I suffer little stress in these matters. It doesn't keep me awake at nights. It is a national issue outside of my control. But yes, I do care!

On 2/17/2021 at 3:19 AM, lujanit said:

The answer is simple.  Just ban motor scooters.

May I remind you that the figures quoted are those that died and does not state the kind of vehicle that caused the death. Every day on my scooter I have to take emergency action to avoid being killed by some larger vehicle seemingly out to murder me. Any accident I've ever had here on my scooter has been caused by a car. When I had a car the only accidents I was involved in were caused by another car. And that is in 40 years of driving/riding here. I would contend that if there were only two wheelers on the roads the death rate would be close to zero. So perhaps we should ban all 3, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. wheel vehicles. 

On 2/16/2021 at 9:20 PM, keith101 said:

You don't need Covid-19 to kill people here just put them on a a motor bike and it  will just happen .

There was a falung economist on international news yesterday praising the way Thailand has been handling covid 19 compared to Europe, USA ect. 

Not one baht has been invested in road safety, not just Thailand but the whole world is letting people die on hospital waiting lists while politicians invest in vaccines with tax payers money, that they then buy off the drug companies all because they passed legislation that gives the drug companies rights to own what they develop from your money. 

The road deaths mean nothing to the mad men running the club. 

• Like 2

This is a massive problem which will take decades to fix,if indeed anyone has the desire to fix. I guess the majority of accidents are on scooters? Many don't wear head gear and don't get stopped by the police very often. There is no MOT checks for vehicles. A lot of people drink and drive still.

People don't seem to need a test or can buy one for the right price. Lots of young kids drive cheap scooters.there seem to be some strange driving habits like overtaking in the inside or overtaking on the outside even if you are turning right.Cars can come in of a side road onto and main road just by pushing in.

Despite all that I still love my scooter and take my chances

Have no fear, the new "Big Bike" license requirement went into affect Fri.  (Even though they still don't have any people to certify people applying for this license or have not listed the criteria to get this new license.)

This should drop the fatality rate immediately!

Don't bring up the issue that a lot of Thai's don't have a license or the fine for driving without a license is only 200 THB.  

Edited by HaoleBoy
  • Haha 1