It's raining.

champers

That's some of the heaviest and most protracted rain I've seen here during the dry season. At least it should have cleared a lot of the particulates out of the air, but it's a pretty localised storm so enjoy the clean air while you can, as the murk from Bangkok will probably soon be back down this way.

• Like 1

Just now, Guderian said:

That's some of the heaviest and most protracted rain I've seen here during the dry season. At least it should have cleared a lot of the particulates out of the air, but it's a pretty localised storm so enjoy the clean air while you can, as the murk from Bangkok will probably soon be back down this way.

Na Jomtien has barely received a moderate dusting.

1 minute ago, J Town said:

Na Jomtien has barely received a moderate dusting.

Watching it on the radar, it was mostly over central and north Pattaya and northern Banglamung. Then in the last hour it swung back down towards south Pattaya (where I am) and Jomtien, where it's poured down ever since. It never really got as far south as Na Jomtien, or at least the heavy stuff didn't. It's dying out now and moving out to sea, but also a bit further down the coast so you may get a drop more yet. My garden's certainly been enjoying it, as have the koi carp.

56 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Was trying to find my way home on 3rd Road.....not easy or fun...????????. Most of the long cuts were flooded....lol...????

2E1958BA-8187-4294-AE35-6E1E872E674D.MOV

I still recoil from a memory I had of trying to cut through Bongkhot from 3rd to get to Arunothai on the bike and I came up against floodwaters and stopped to let a few folks try it out ahead of me. I was distracted by itching on my legs and looked to see half a dozen cockroaches climbing up my legs. They were being forced out of the drains by the water and were everywhere. 

I was in Surin at the time. Was planning on returning to Pattaya when I heard about the rain.
Decided to chance it and come back on Thursday morning, expecting I may get wet on the way. Nothing but sunshine and dry roads the whole way. 

It's weird how the weather will drench one area and leave another untouched. Last year we were riding back from a spot in Chon Buri (up the 331 highway). It started pouring down as we took the off ramp (331 extension) to Laem Chabang and headed South. By the time we got to the Highway 36 ramps, the rain stopped. I got home and apparently it hadn't rained a drop there (meanwhile as I walked to the house, every step left a puddle of water on the patio).

Another time we were in South Pattaya. It started raining when we were on #3 road. Pissing down all the way to Soi Batman. I took off across Sukhumvit to the Dark Side - not a drop of rain on that side of the highway. Meanwhile, Soi Batman was flooding (as per usual).

We do need a lot more of it though. Riding around Isaan this week I noticed a lot of very dry country. Reservoirs that looked more like wet marshes, dry rice paddies and people trying to pump water from roadside ditches into their fields. I went as far as the SE part of Ubon, up to Amnat Charoen and back through Yasothon, Roi Et, Si Saket, Surin, Buriram and Sa Kaeo on the way back. 
I passed through a few areas that had lush fields of rice starting, but many more that were parched dry. Some of the places I went through reminded me of the semi-arid country around the Southern Interior of British Columbia (the general area between the Fraser river and Okanogan Lake, north of Princeton to the area around Kamloops and Cache Creek where you can find cactus and rattlesnakes and scrub brushland that looks more suited to Arizona and New Mexico than it does to Canada).

With the drought we had last year, it's a good thing (water-wise) that we don't have 10s of thousands of tourists here now or the local reservoirs would have been drained and bone dry months ago.

And no sign (or news) of them doing anything to try and improve the situation. Again. I suppose it will be like last year where they wait until the water drops to a critical level and then announce plans (again) to divert sewer water and waste treatment water into the reservoirs.
Instead of maybe, I don't know, dredging the reservoirs now when the water levels are low, to increase the capacity when the rains do start. Laying in (proper) water lines to/from other reservoirs to the East where there is less demand. (Unlike last year where they basically laid some plastic piping on the ground to pump a few thousand liters of water from one reservoir to another.)

I suspect soon I will have to make sure my tank is full and then fill the garbage cans (clean ones I use just for storing water) again in preparation for the water cut offs and restrictions that are sure to come if we don't start getting a lot of rain soon.