China says to promote U.S. business ties on basis of 'mutual respect'

webfact

13 hours ago, webfact said:

China says to promote U.S. business ties on basis of 'mutual respect'

2021-03-05T042706Z_2_LYNXMPEH2406Q_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-PARLIAMENT.JPG

Chinese President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang sing the national anthem at the opening session of the National People's Congress (NPC) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China March 5, 2021. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese Premier Li Keqiang pledged on Friday to promote business ties with the United States based on "mutual respect" that benefit both countries.

The world's two largest economies have been at odds over trade and economic policy, especially when it comes to U.S. efforts to restrict tech exports to China and tariffs both have put on each others goods.

This week, President Joe Biden singled out a "growing rivalry with China" as a key challenge facing the United States, with his top diplomat describing the Asian country as "the biggest geopolitical test" of this century.

In his annual work report at the opening of the annual meeting of China's parliament, Li said his country wanted to work with the United States.

"We will promote the growth of mutually beneficial China-U.S. business relations on the basis of equality and mutual respect," he said, without giving details.

The United States has also repeatedly complained about market access problems in China for its companies.

Biden's U.S. trade representative nominee, Katherine Tai, said on Monday she would work to fight a range of "unfair" Chinese trade and economic practices and would seek to treat Chinese censorship as a trade barrier.

(Reporting by Yew Lun Tian; Writing by Ben Blanchard; editing by Jane Wardell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-05

Why should we respect a totalitarian country ?

13 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Who could respect a country that unleashed such a filthy virus on the world that's so far killed 2.5 million people??? Who could respect a country that stole islands of smaller nations in the South China Sea and turned them into military bases as part of their aggressive expansionist program to dominate the region and the world???

Then, we should stop respecting the USA as they unleashed the so called Spanish flu. And Mexico too, they unleashed the H1N1 swine flu in 2009. 

Edit: Just looking at the words I just wrote makes me laugh myself from how silly it sounds. Can't explain how you were able to hit the Send button, specially from the first part. ????‍♂️

Edited by ctxa

Yes, and allow China to use it's tactics of interrupting trade on spurious claims to punish allies of America. 

The international economic war is being won by China and this is one of its tactics. 

10 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

because we know that Asians and Chinese are a model of tolerance for other cultures and nationalities ????

Much ignorant about this subject. Asia has direct laws against hate speech and has very little such crimes. US has a problem legislating direct laws against hate crimes due to the freedom of speech embedded in the constitution. Hate crimes spike due to ultra nationalism and xenophobic rhetoric by leaders. Last year alone, hate crimes increase 150% in US major cities. I am sure you know the reasons for that. 
https://www.voanews.com/usa/race-america/hate-crimes-targeting-asian-americans-spiked-150-major-us-cities

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

you can't be that naive, we are naturally intolerant of other culture and nationality by default, and there is nothing we can do to stop that bias that we carry for survival reason

But yes, we should be tolerant in principle, but in reality we can't be ????

It's a struggle, I won't lie, but Mrs. Morch tolerates me, even though we're from different cultures and nationalities.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Much ignorant about this subject. Asia has direct laws against hate speech and has very little such crimes. US has a problem legislating direct laws against hate crimes due to the freedom of speech embedded in the constitution. Hate crimes spike due to ultra nationalism and xenophobic rhetoric by leaders. Last year alone, hate crimes increase 150% in US major cities. I am sure you know the reasons for that. 
https://www.voanews.com/usa/race-america/hate-crimes-targeting-asian-americans-spiked-150-major-us-cities

Asia got laws. Right. There are communal strife issues in Asia and South East Asia. Same goes for intolerance,  discrimination, and violence. Quick reminders - Rohingya, Uighur. Nationalism not a thing in Asia? That's kinda new to me. Xenophobia not a thing either? Guess it depends what you wish to ignore. There's a whole lot of the former, and a fair share of the latter. Same as many places around the globe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

you can't be that naive, we are naturally intolerant of other culture and nationality by default, and there is nothing we can do to stop that bias that we carry for survival reason

But yes, we should be tolerant in principle, but in reality we can't be ????

Justifying your own xenophobia by invoking some kind of law of human nature to explain it?  Can't you just own up to it without indulging in some some pseudo-anthropology?

27 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Where is your proof for this statement? 

Well, the first cases of the Spanish flu were registered in the US. Just like the first cases of COVID were registered in China. 

But point is, it doesn’t matter. Because I don’t believe that the US should stop being respected because of “unleashing” the Spanish flu, and neither should China for “unleashing” COVID. Read the small letter in my post ????

Edited by ctxa