Thai PM gets first shot of AstraZeneca vaccine after safety scare

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha became the first person to be inoculated with the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in the Southeast Asian country on Tuesday after the rollout had been temporarily put on hold over safety concerns.

Glad to see they understand that statistically the Oxford jab lowers your risk of developing blood clots. 

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Totally agree. Here's an interesting article from the BBC's health correspondent. A long read, but worth taking the time to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56360646

A very interesting article and for what it's worth, I absolutely agree.  I suggest that those countries that have suspended the use of Astra Zeneca vaccine read it.

Edited by mikosan
Grammar correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big Yuley said:

I hardly doubt it.

Just another massive over exaggeration from countries over absolutely nothing.

Like always when politicians talk in stead of scientists ....have we forgotten already that Trump assured his nation that the virus would blow away quickly while his scientists were not allowed to speak freely? 

Edited by fvw53
typo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Big Yuley said:

17,000,000 vaccinations world wide so far from AZ.

37 reported cases of blood clots.

A staggering 0.0002%.

I have a better chance of being struck by lightening, but yes of course its just drama for Astra Zeneca vaccine????

P_20210316_182449.jpg

One of the issues that needs to be considered is how common thromboembolism is anyway. A recent paper from Oklahoma, in the US investigated the incidence of this condition during 2012 2013 and 2014 (Wendelboe AM, Campbell J, Ding K, Bratzler DW, Beckman MG, Reyes NL, Raskob GE. Incidence of Venous Thromboembolism in a Racially Diverse Population of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma. Thrombosis and haemostasis. 2021). The biggest factor affecting the incidence of thromboembolism in the community was age. The incidence of venous thromboembolism in the >80 years age group was 13.16, in the 70-79 age group 7.76 and in the 60-69 age group 5.10 per 1000 person years. So for every 1 million people immunised in these age groups we would expect to see about 1097, 645 and 425 episodes of thromboembolism in the month after immunization anyway. Now we do not know whether there was any particular aspect of the thromboembolic events in the recent reports from Europe that would make those cases more unusual and so more concerning.

in a population of 17 million (the number of people vaccinated) an expected number of blood clots would be 1,500 to 3,000 per month

so 37 cases means that the vaccination gives a 97% reduction in risk not an increase 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Big Yuley said:

17,000,000 vaccinations world wide so far from AZ.

37 reported cases of blood clots.

A staggering 0.0002%.

I have a better chance of being struck by lightening, but yes of course its just drama for Astra Zeneca vaccine????

P_20210316_182449.jpg

Not only a drama for Astrazeneca but also for the many thousands who will miss vaccination and will get ill  more than 0.0002%

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

They obviously did, like from the UK where millions have been vaccinated and no proof that the blood cloths are related to the vaccine.

Not their fault that the Englishmen cannot put two and two together. In Norway another case has been detected yesterday, and even one death after the AZ was taken.

Norwegian doctors say that everything is pointing that way, but it is hard to prove. If someone choose to look the other way, that is on them.

"Today I'm boosting confidence for the general public," Prayuth told reporters at Government House, before he received a shot in his left arm.

Two ways of looking at this statement.

"I'm going first to show the people it is Okay".  Or, "It's me first as I don't want any contamination from anything you lot have handled".

There is of course the Thai way. "ME FIRST, ME FIRST".

5 hours ago, realfunster said:

So sorry for that poor sod who had delayed urgent medical attention because the ambulance from a public hospital was tied up elsewhere with the dinosaurs' PR stunt....

Ridiculous use of public resources.

Yes it is after all Lottery Day, much more important things on the mind of most Thais.

Good luck oh illustrious leader. 

6 hours ago, Big Yuley said:

I hardly doubt it.

Just another massive over exaggeration from countries over absolutely nothing.

There is something in this: Only yesterday, The Astra Zeneca Company itself announced there was NO evidence their vaccine causes blood clots

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sodium pentathol is a barbiturate drug medically used as a short-acting general anaesthetic. As a side effect at low doses, it lowers the inhibitions of those into whom it is injected. Of course it was used in the past as for what you say, but it is used to lower inhibitions and relax patients.

oh dear.....  well, I got it...   good one..