Eight killed in Atlanta-area shooting rampage; suspect arrested

webfact

On 3/17/2021 at 12:17 PM, xylophone said:

Just what is it with these straggly, unkempt and ugly beards?

Is it some sort of recognition of belonging to Confederates, or the deep South or whatever?

I did see quite a few of them in the attack on the Capitol a while back – – part of a cult perhaps?

210316232646-robert-aaron-long-booking-photo-031621-large-169.jpg

It is, perhaps, a rather pathetic statement of failure?

Can't even grow a decent beard!

21 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

You're saying this out of sarcasm, same as some of your other comments.

I will simply say that all comments and actions against China and Chinese people are wrong, and it's best we see a big reduction in such hatred. For people who want to dish out anti-China comments regarding Covid, I simply say, you're encouraging attacks (intentionally or un-intentionally) on all Chinese and Chinese-looking people.
Why should Vietnamese, Koreans, Japanese, Thais, Chinese from Taiwan and Singapore, why should these people pay the penalty for Covid ? Surely, people who hate China reckon this ?

In the US the free speech principle does not allow the government to prevent people from making critical comments about Chinese people, so get real. In China free speech doesn't exist, unless it is Xi speech, so as a result the whole world got Covid.

I would assume that the problem of attacks on Asians is largely found in urban areas where Chinese visitors in groups are likely to attract attention and resentment. Keeping them out for a while might help people recover mentally from the ravages of Covid. Anyway, it's questionable that people with Sinovac vaccinations would be admitted to the US unless there are well done, transparent Phase 3 trials.

• Sad 1

This is all bizarre to me.

I'm a Californian and I lived in San Francisco for many years, where maybe 20% of the population are Asian, predominately Chinese Americans

We now live in South Dakota where maybe 0.01% are Asian.

Yet my wife nor any of her friends have experienced even the slightest racial abuse., yet this happens in San Francisco!!!!!

This whole dynamic defies logic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, placnx said:

In the US the free speech principle does not allow the government to prevent people from making critical comments about Chinese people, so get real. In China free speech doesn't exist, unless it is Xi speech, so as a result the whole world got Covid.

I would assume that the problem of attacks on Asians is largely found in urban areas where Chinese visitors in groups are likely to attract attention and resentment. Keeping them out for a while might help people recover mentally from the ravages of Covid. Anyway, it's questionable that people with Sinovac vaccinations would be admitted to the US unless there are well done, transparent Phase 3 trials.

You are correct, the Constitution of the United States forbids the US Government and all its agencies from restricting speech, though there are a handful

of exceptions.

What you missed is, Federal and State laws make it a criminal offense to physically attack people and there are specific Federal and State laws that make it a criminal offense to attack people on the basis of their perceived race or nationality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The explanation is simple.

Racists might not regard a single individual from a different race within in a large native population as a ‘threat’ to their fragile self, while regarding larger groups of people from another race as s threat.

Yeah you might be right on that one

39 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are correct, the Constitution of the United States forbids the US Government and all its agencies from restricting speech, though there are a handful

of exceptions.

What you missed is, Federal and State laws make it a criminal offense to physically attack people and there are specific Federal and State laws that make it a criminal offense to attack people on the basis of their perceived race or nationality.

The statement to which he was replying was "all comments and actions against China and Chinese people are wrong".  Maybe comments like that are wrong, and maybe the woke will find a way to outlaw them, but it's patently absurd to say that it's off limits to criticize China and the Chinese.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

The statement to which he was replying was "all comments and actions against China and Chinese people are wrong".  Maybe comments like that are wrong, and maybe the woke will find a way to outlaw them, but it's patently absurd to say that it's off limits to criticize China and the Chinese.

Which is not what he was saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

"all comments and actions against China and Chinese people are wrong".|
What I meant by that was, was I don't agree with comments that condemn China for stuff that goes on in China. If we are going to condemn China for such stuff, we're going to have to condemn other countries for similar stuff.
Also, I certainly don't agree with comments like "China gave Covid to the world, China must be punished for this", and all the other silly anti-China comments linked with Covid. Slogans like "China lied, people died" .

Do I feel that such comments should be banned from the internet ? Well, bearing in mind free speech,  these comments will not be banned. Yes, it's wrong of me to stop people saying what they want to say. But I'm trying to say this. This type of speech encourages attacks on Chinese people in America. And surely, all or most of us here on ThaiVisa are against any verbal abuse or physical atttacks on Chinese and Chinese-looking people, in America. And those who do attack Chinese people, they will attack people who are Chinese-looking.  Hence, Vietnamese and other Asians are being attacked and verbally abused as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, placnx said:

You want to raise the issue of Chinese people visiting America, and about whether they have the correct vaccination jabs ?

Surely, you realise when you see a Chinese-looking person in America, there is only about a 2% chance that the person is a tourist/visitor from China ? Chinese-looking people who are in the USA. Some of them were born in America. There's also loads of people who look Chinese, but they are not. They're actually Vietnamese, Koreans, etc. 

And these people, Chinese and those who look Chinese, in America, some of them are being verbally abused and attacked.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

All comments and actions against China are wrong?  You are aware of their hacking?  Treatment of minorities, especially muslim ones.  Blocks on media outlets.  South China Sea.  Sars.  Coronavirus.  Etc, etc, etc.  They've got a lot to answer for.

If you listen/read Chinese media, they just bash the west.  All the time.  Same with Russia. 

The wrongs they do are done by the government.  Not the average citizen.  And for sure, not by the ones that don't live there.  But they get lumped in with this group.  Hatred should be focused towards their leaders, not the average citizens.

This anger is fueled by the fake news right wing media, and politicians trying to gain support by backing this BS.  The cop who did the initial press briefing even had an anti-Chinese T-shirt!

The conservative right has gone nuts.  And is fueling this BS. 

This is terrible and the cop should be fired.  Sadly, this hatred was fueled by our top politicians.  They should be censured.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/17/us/shooting-atlanta-acworth#bad-day-captain-jay-baker-atlanta

The comments were widely panned on social media, with critics characterizing them as callous and pointing to Facebook posts from March 30 and April 2 of last year by Captain Baker, in which he promoted sales of an anti-Asian T-shirt. The shirts, echoing the rhetoric of President Donald J. Trump, referred to the coronavirus as an “imported virus from Chy-na.”

“Place your order while they last,” Captain Baker wrote at the time in one of the posts. He did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday and Thursday.

Okay, it's great to see that you hate people who are racist, and you're against anti-Asian sentiment.  And you certainly did not cheer on Trump when Trump referred to corona as an "imported virus from Chy-na".  Great.

But, you wrote "You are aware of their hacking?  Treatment of minorities, especially muslim ones.  Blocks on media outlets.  South China Sea.  Sars.  Coronavirus.  Etc, etc, etc.  They've got a lot to answer for. If you listen/read Chinese media, they just bash the west.  All the time. "
See, it's your right and free speech to say this. But I'm trying to say that, this type of speech does, in my opinion, it unfortunately encourages verbal abuse to be dished out onto Chinese people in America.

In your case, you are against the Chinese government, but you're not against people from China. But there's a whole load of people out there who hate both the Chinese government AND Chinese people. And those who hate Chinese people, the bulk of them also don't like Vietnamese, Koreans, etc. They might be concentrating their hatred on Chinese only right now, saying that they're not against Vietnamese and Koreans. But they're only saying that, because it suits them, right now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

There is nothing new about the rise in crimes against Asians, and most of the crimes committed against Asians are committed in urban areas by young black men, perhaps that's why you don't see a lot of it in SD. 

Perhaps you should find a better source of news:

"A new study based on police department statistics across major U.S. cities found a nearly 150% surge in anti-Asian hate crimes in 2020, while overall hate crimes fell by 7%."   https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asian-american-hate-crimes-up-150-percent-us/

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Okay, it's great to see that you hate people who are racist, and you're against anti-Asian sentiment.  And you certainly did not cheer on Trump when Trump referred to corona as an "imported virus from Chy-na".  Great.

But, you wrote "You are aware of their hacking?  Treatment of minorities, especially muslim ones.  Blocks on media outlets.  South China Sea.  Sars.  Coronavirus.  Etc, etc, etc.  They've got a lot to answer for. If you listen/read Chinese media, they just bash the west.  All the time. "
See, it's your right and free speech to say this. But I'm trying to say that, this type of speech does, in my opinion, it unfortunately encourages verbal abuse to be dished out onto Chinese people in America.

In your case, you are against the Chinese government, but you're not against people from China. But there's a whole load of people out there who hate both the Chinese government AND Chinese people. And those who hate Chinese people, the bulk of them also don't like Vietnamese, Koreans, etc. They might be concentrating their hatred on Chinese only right now, saying that they're not against Vietnamese and Koreans. But they're only saying that, because it suits them, right now.

Understood!  But still, their hacking needs to be addressed.  It's basically an attack on the US.  A cyber attack though. 

Most people can't separate the difference from a normal citizen and their government.  Especially ones who are no longer in their home country, like these Asians in Atlanta.  They've got NOTHING to do with the virus.  But...it did start in China, like SARS.  It started because of dodgy practices with regards to live animals, even endangered ones, in fresh markets. Even China admits this is a problem.  But does nothing to stop it.  Trade in wildlife is mainly fueled by the Chinese.  It needs to stop.  And that's not being racist. 

Nice reply.  In the end, racism is a big deal.  And causes lots of problems.  And....was fueled by the past administration and the rise of the fake news right wing media outlets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Perhaps you should find a better source of news:

"A new study based on police department statistics across major U.S. cities found a nearly 150% surge in anti-Asian hate crimes in 2020, while overall hate crimes fell by 7%."   https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asian-american-hate-crimes-up-150-percent-us/

Did you even look at the study you linked to? It seems to support my statement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Did you even look at the study you linked to? It seems to support my statement.

The increase in hate crimes is new.  Are the increase in hate crimes against Asians being committed by young black men?

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

Which is not what he was saying.

Suzannegoh understood me correctly. If the Chinese outsiders, not Chinese or other Asian locals, would stay away during the continuation of the multi-year pandemic, that could help calm down the situation. As someone else commented, the problem is in urban areas.

The massacre in Atlanta is not a simple hate crime. Perhaps it's a product of extreme religion mixed with sexual inadequacy on top of the pressure cooker atmosphere of the last year of Trump and Corona.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

"all comments and actions against China and Chinese people are wrong".|
What I meant by that was, was I don't agree with comments that condemn China for stuff that goes on in China. If we are going to condemn China for such stuff, we're going to have to condemn other countries for similar stuff.
Also, I certainly don't agree with comments like "China gave Covid to the world, China must be punished for this", and all the other silly anti-China comments linked with Covid. Slogans like "China lied, people died" .

Do I feel that such comments should be banned from the internet ? Well, bearing in mind free speech,  these comments will not be banned. Yes, it's wrong of me to stop people saying what they want to say. But I'm trying to say this. This type of speech encourages attacks on Chinese people in America. And surely, all or most of us here on ThaiVisa are against any verbal abuse or physical atttacks on Chinese and Chinese-looking people, in America. And those who do attack Chinese people, they will attack people who are Chinese-looking.  Hence, Vietnamese and other Asians are being attacked and verbally abused as well.

At least since the genocide in Rwanda in 1994, the R2P principle (responsibility to protect) has meant that we should be free to criticize Chinese "internal" affairs such as management of Covid and its virus research, Xinjiang, Hong Kong, etc, etc. 

If unhappy people think that there are no Chinese outsiders around who might be up to something, there's some chance that there will be significant sympathy for Asian Americans in the same boat as everybody else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

You want to raise the issue of Chinese people visiting America, and about whether they have the correct vaccination jabs ?

Surely, you realise when you see a Chinese-looking person in America, there is only about a 2% chance that the person is a tourist/visitor from China ? Chinese-looking people who are in the USA. Some of them were born in America. There's also loads of people who look Chinese, but they are not. They're actually Vietnamese, Koreans, etc. 

And these people, Chinese and those who look Chinese, in America, some of them are being verbally abused and attacked.

Perhaps you are unaware that the Sinopharm vaccine is underperforming. In the Gulf they are trying out a third jab to see whether that will help. China says that foreigners can visit China provided that they are vaccinated with Chinese vaccine!!

It should be clear from my preceding post, it is not material that the Chinese visitors are small in number. That they are around causes suspicion in some angry people. So if it's known that there are none are around, then maybe certainly overly excitable people can calm down. They might feel that their government is doing something for them, to help dispel their alienation.

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's a ridiculous argument. It's like saying that the best way to avoid attacks on women would be to restrict women's rights to go out of their houses.

I'd prefer the curfew to be placed on men.....and I am male.....it is much fairer than penalizing women.

Let's say midnight even......unless you have a certain occupation....

• Confused 1