Eight killed in Atlanta-area shooting rampage; suspect arrested

webfact

8 hours ago, georgey said:

Well done!! At last someone who understands English. 

Latest reports indicated 4 were Korean women, just as I have observed working in many Asian massage shops in the US.  Waiting to hear a complete story. Total was 6 Asian women, with 2 Caucasian women and a man wounded. The suspect claims he targeted the massage parlors because he was addicted to sex.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/atlanta-shootings-fbi-investigating-killing-of-eight-at-massage-parlors-11615989454

Suspect in deadly Atlanta-area spa shootings charged with 8 counts of murder (msn.com)

Edited by ThailandRyan

56 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Worth a read:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/17/us/asian-women-misogyny-spa-shootings-trnd/index.html

Fetishized, sexualized and marginalized, Asian women are uniquely vulnerable to violence

If you go after sex workers in certain areas, you will likely kill more Asian women because they might be over represented in that particular area.

It's like if you had a major issue with the Canadian Mounted Police and raided the Christmas party and killed 10 of them, it's likely most of them would be white. It wouldn't make it a race crime. Unless you were a disciple of Critical Race Theory of course, and see absolutely everything through the context of race.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Take a gold star for yourself, the defense he is offering up is he hates women.

Asian women.  There are massage parlors in the US that don't have Asians.  Ummm....I read about that on the internet. LOL

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Asian women.  There are massage parlors in the US that don't have Asians.  Ummm....I read about that on the internet. LOL

Why would he actively seek out non Asian massage places if he was simply targeting female sex workers?

Maybe he didn't give a damn what race they were. Hard to believe for many of the obsessive disciples of identity politics on this forum, I know. Some of us just see people, not white people, Arab people, black people, Asian people. Just people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Quite the pat on the back considering not everything is known yet.  An initial statement, but that's it.

You bashed us for saying it might be racism.  Now, you credit yourself for solving it.  Stunning.

As mentioned above, you care more about being right than the lives of those lost.  And the fact that hate crimes against Asians are on the rise.  No denying that.  Hey, I'm right again!

Not at all. I have huge sympathy for the victims and their families. I choose not go OTT to virtue signal on forums about it though. That is my choice.

I also don't try to stir up racial divide by trying to claim that every bad thing in the world that happens is as a result of racism. If you wish to continue race baiting then feel free, but don't expect me to participate.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Race is one possibility. Or maybe he hates sex workers? Maybe he caught HIV in there? Maybe one or more of the workers is an ex girlfriend? Many the massage parlours have a common owner who he has beef with and is one of the victims?

My immediate thoughts was organised crime and protection money. But after seeing photos of the murderer would include white supremacist nut job. If the motive was predominately anti-Asian you'd think a few restaurants would have been included in the target list.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2021/03/17/atlanta-spa-shootings-illicit-reviews-massage-parlors/4737755001/

Georgia law enforcement has indicated the crime was motivated by sex, not race. But advocates balked at such determinations at this time.

Edited by OswaldBastable

4 minutes ago, OswaldBastable said:

My immediate thoughts was organised crime and protection money. But after seeing photos of the murderer would include white supremacist nut job. If the motive was predominately anti-Asian you'd think a few restaurants would have been included in the target list.

Oddly the religious affiliation of this killer is being given a wide pass by those amongst us who normally have a lot to say about people professing a religion killing folk.

• Like 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Oddly the religious affiliation of this killer is being given a wide pass by those amongst us who normally have a lot to say about people professing a religion killing folk.

I don't think many white people kill for religion, most of us superficially identify as Christian, but don't have much in the way of convictions.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This story is getting more bizarre by the minute.  So this guy had a sex addiction and was wracked with guilt over it because of his religious upbringing.  So....he kills a bunch of women in Asian massage parlors.  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  Maybe his religion is to blame!

[Robert Aaron Long, the 21-year-old suspect charged with eight counts of murder after three shootings on Tuesday at Atlanta-area spas, had been in rehab for sex addiction and was wracked with guilt about his sexual urges, according to two people who lived with him in transitional housing.]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/03/17/georgia-spa-shooter-robert-aaron-long-sex-addiction/4741925001/

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

Strange that when a muslim blows up something or stabs its religion (according to posters but when a white guy kills mainly asians people are thinking of alternative theories. I wonder why. 

If the white guy was shouting "Jesus saves" while shooting the victims, I'd be more likely to agree with you.

Edited by OswaldBastable
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Strange that when a muslim blows up something or stabs its religion (according to posters but when a white guy kills mainly asians people are thinking of alternative theories. I wonder why. 

There have been reports about rising anti asian sentiment in the US mainly because of Trump with his diving policies and Wu flu remarks. Tarring all asians as cause of the virus. Plenty of racist in the US. (and other countries)

Crimes against asians up 140%

Whilst crimes generally down 7%

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, OswaldBastable said:

If the white guy was shouting "Jesus saves" while shooting the victims, I'd be more likely to agree with you.

He stated it was about religion and his guilty feelings about sex addiction.

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why? My reason is right there in my post. He drove more than 30 miles to get to the other massage targets. 

A number of Flame & Troll comments have been removed along with the authors !

If you are going to participate, observe the forum rules

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonising other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1