Biden vows Russia's Putin will 'pay a price' for election meddling

webfact

2021-03-17T124539Z_1_LYNXMPEH2G0YH_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BIDEN.JPG U.S. President Joe Biden delivers remarks on the implementation of the American Rescue Plan in the State Dining Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., March 15, 2021. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/Files

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Joe Biden said Russian President Vladimir Putin will face consequences for directing efforts to swing the November 2020 U.S. presidential election to Donald Trump, and that they would come soon.

"He will pay a price," Biden told ABC News in an interview broadcast on Wednesday. Asked what the consequences would be, he said, "You'll see shortly."

A U.S. intelligence report on Tuesday bolstered longstanding allegations that Putin was behind Moscow's election interference, an accusation Russia called baseless.

U.S. President Joe Biden said Russian President Vladimir Putin will face consequences for directing efforts to swing the November 2020 U.S. presidential election to Donald Trump, and that they would come soon. Lisa Bernhard produced this report.

At the same time, Biden noted that "there's places where it's in our mutual interest to work together" such as renewing the START nuclear agreement, adding that the two leaders have a known history.

"I know him relatively well," Biden said, adding that "the most important thing dealing with foreign leaders in my experience ... is just know the other guy."

Of Putin, Biden said he does not think the Russian leader has a soul. Asked if he thought Putin was a killer, he told ABC: "I do."

Biden defeated Trump in the election and took office two months ago.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu and Susan Heavey; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-18

3 minutes ago, rcuthbert said:

Here is an excerpt from the Helsinki press conference report:

"Both Trump and Putin repeatedly denied accusations that the Trump campaign had colluded with Russian intelligence officials to swing the election. “You can trust no one,” Putin said, calling claims of collusion “utter nonsense.”

“President Trump mentioned the issue of the so-called interference of Russia in the American elections, and I had to reiterate things I said several times — including during our personal contacts — that the Russian state has never interfered and is not going to interfere into internal American affairs, including election processes,” Putin said.

https://time.com/5339830/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-summit-helsinki-meddling/

"putin said" is all I needed to read in that article. Unfortunately those two words came at the very end so you just wasted 12 seconds of my life.

• Like 2