Prohibition in Thailand, Would it Work?

Neeranam

Should Thailand ban n  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Ya Ma and booze are opposites. The only reason one takes one is to allow the other one, ie reduce withdrawal or increase drinking time. There are many legal stimulants like caffeine and M150.

I never seen one killing some one else for a cup of coffee

The first whiskey was made in Ireland. As were those instruments of the devil; bag-pipes.

When an Irish tribe called the Scotii invaded what is now Scotland, they took both with them. Irish whiskey is the original whiskey (please note sp). Frankly, I dislike all whiskey.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Yes if you don't mind the stinking hangovers and the inevitable blindness that will result from drinking that rotten stuff. I heard of many locals beating up their wives after drinking too much of it.

Not to mention the village idiots who are doomed from birth due to fetal alcohol syndrome.

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Kratom and Ya Ba ironically don't cause as many deaths and problems as alcohol does. 

India does pretty well in this department. 

Methamphetamine ( Yaa Baa ) is similar to alcohol in removing inhibitions and giving addicts a feeling of invincibility. It's the scourge of many rural towns in Australia, and probably more dangerous than alcohol.

The better strategy to reduce road deaths from alcohol consumption may be to promote the use of marijuana to replace drinking.  Some, but not all, studies show a decline in traffic fatalities following legalization of marijuana use.  Marijuana is an intoxicant and does impair driving ability, but it does so much less than alcohol.  After all, people don't fall down from too much grass like they do from too much liquor.  Also, people are more likely to use marijuana at home so that they have less need to drive home intoxicated.

Using data from FARS (federal Fatality Analysis Reporting System) for the period 1990–2010, we find that traffic fatalities fall by 8–11 percent the first full year after legalization. … Why does legalizing medical marijuana reduce traffic fatalities? Alcohol consumption appears to play a key role. The legalization of medical marijuana is associated with a 7.2 percent decrease in traffic fatalities in which there was no reported alcohol involvement, but this estimate is not statistically significant at conventional levels. In comparison, the legalization of medical marijuana is associated with a 13.2 percent decrease in fatalities in which at least one driver involved had a positive BAC level. The negative relationship between the legalization of medical marijuana and traffic fatalities involving alcohol lends support to the hypothesis that marijuana and alcohol are substitutes.”

https://medicalmarijuana411.com/medical-marijuana-laws-reduced-traffic-fatalities/

The jury is still out on this question, but it should be adopted if the data do support it in the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cmarshall said:

The sale of alcoholic beverages in the US was prohibited by the 18th Amendment to the Constitution in 1919 until repealed by the 21st Amendment in 1933.  During that period alcoholic consumption achieved a peak that was not surpassed until the 1950's and the Italian mafia, which had previously operated primarily in immigrant Italian communities was establish as a national organization which it remains to this day.

Americans all know this history.  I have never in my lifetime heard any American express support for a revived prohibition of alcohol.

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Kratom and Ya Ba ironically don't cause as many deaths and problems as alcohol does. 

India does pretty well in this department. 

People aren't routinely tested for illegal drugs, so it isn't known how often they cause a death.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What do you think?

My take is I would think it would not be possible, many people enjoy a drink with some alcohol added or brewed in it.

Banning alcohol wouldn't do much except create more unrest and riots.

Banned Thai home brew whiskey is made all over because it's cheap a ban wouldn't stop it would increase it 10 fold.

There is already a big problem with drugs here, allowing them would make a bigger problem IMHO..

I don't like stopping in parts of Thailand where Muslim areas are, trying to find where to buy a beer is annoying.

• Like 1

I live in a country where alcohol is illegal. It doesn't stop people drinking. 

Just means that a huge black market develops, and people homebrew at home. It doesn't have to be spirits which a lot of people are focusing on. Wine, beer, mead etc are all easy enough to make and not dangerous so there's not the safety issue that you get with homemade spirits. 

Many people also travel to other neighbouring countries where it's freely avaliable. 

It would never work in Thailand and would be a massive own goal. Huge amounts of lost tax revenue, an increase of money leaving the country to be spent in other countries, and massive loss of incoming foreign exchange. 

Stupid question really as it's NEVER going to happen. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Good point but it was more ingrained in Kirkintilloch's culture. I believe there are pubs there now though and they are catching up for lost time. 

Maybe you've heard of Duggan's Dew of Kirkintilloch? 86% proof!

Just my cup of tea, so to speak. Sounds like the Ducks Nuts, cheers.

Every ban is more money for the corrupt establishment. People should be free to make their own choice. Lack of  enforcement of the already existing laws by the same corrupt establishment is the main problem. I don't drink, sometimes wine but I don't mind if other people enjoy their beer or whatever as long as they stay within the limits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, rwill said:

If no one drank alcohol in Thailand I doubt the accident rate would change much.

Why not?

Is this only for Thailand, or is this strange view of yours about all countries?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Confused 1

As a non drinker I think banning alcohol is just a bit much, there is nothing wrong with social drinking, but I would confiscate the cars and motorbikes of anyone caught driving or riding over the limit, and put them up for auction.

Also, this will be unpopular, but anyone who is obviously drunk in public, I would have them locked up for the night and fined.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As a non drinker I think banning alcohol is just a bit much, there is nothing wrong with social drinking, but I would confiscate the cars and motorbikes of anyone caught driving or riding over the limit, and put them up for auction.

Also, this will be unpopular, but anyone who is obviously drunk in public, I would have them locked up for the night and fined.

Instead of doing your usual thing of putting up saddo emoticans and running away, why don't you PM me and discuss this?

• Haha 2