Prohibition in Thailand, Would it Work?

Neeranam

Should Thailand ban n  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Almost a year ago the powers to be decided to close all restaurants and alcohol sale was forbidden. The message might not have gone through everywhere as I never had a supply problem in the sticks of Indochina; the price went slightly up - that was all .......... so go ahead with the prohibition, it will not work like everything else ???? 

6 hours ago, rwill said:

If no one drank alcohol in Thailand I doubt the accident rate would change much.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why not?

Is this only for Thailand, or is this strange view of yours about all countries?

Because the general disregard of traffic laws is a bigger problem.   Running red lights, going straight in turn lanes, turning from through lanes,  driving the wrong direction on the road,  crazy U-turns on busy highways, overloaded vehicles, people driving like they are more important or in a bigger hurry than everyone else, etc...

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

The OP is asking a reasonable question but there is no talk I am aware of in political circles, so it is academic.

I can observe however, that the production and sale of beer in particular in Thailand is effectively controlled by two major corporations that are so well in with Government and the Elite of this country that it would be very unlikely to be considered seriously, given prohibition doesn't solve anything anyway!

• Like 1

It didn't work well in the United States when we tried it from 1918 - 1933. In fact it made many crooks, like Joseph Kennedy rich. Fermentation happens naturally, and if you're patient you can develop good yeast cultures yourself. Lots of people out in the countryside do it already. I would not recommend trying it.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 2:07 PM, Neeranam said:

I feel Thailand would benefit greatly if there was an alcohol ban. Less deaths on the road, less drunken tourists. 

What do you think? 

Thailand actually have some partial alcohol bans. Experience from other parts of the World has shown, that alcohol restrictions and ban didn't make it better, rather worse, so therefore I think that lifting restrictions and instead positive focus on how to live with alcohol, instead of getting addicted, is the way to go.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 8:07 PM, Neeranam said:

I feel Thailand would benefit greatly if there was an alcohol ban. Less deaths on the road, less drunken tourists. 

What do you think?

It would work, just like the gambling ban does..... Lol.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:07 PM, Neeranam said:

What do you think?

Most countries you buy a beer by glass size/bottle etc

Spirits are bought by a measure/ml,
Thailand is the only country I've been to where the norm is to buy a whole bottle of whisky, stand around a table and consume it until pished... then wonder why many people drive home DUI

Edited by hotchilli

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand is the only country I've been to where the norm is to buy a whole bottle of whisky, stand around a table and consume it until pished

It's common practice in much of the world, particularly Asia. There's no requirement to "consume it until pished", most places hold the bottle until your next visit (for a certain time span).

Edited by Salerno
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

It's common practice in much of the world, particularly Asia. There's no requirement to "consume it until pished", most places hold the bottle until your next visit (for a certain time span).

Most bars I've been to with Thai friends... the norm is to consume it, as taking a half bottle out of the premises is not allowed.
Some Thai students who I go out with sometimes, the females buy a plastic bottle of example "tea" from 7-11 before going, and put it in their bag.
Upon leaving the bar/club they will empty the contents and fill it with whisky so as to take it out and go home to finish later.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

As a non drinker I think banning alcohol is just a bit much, there is nothing wrong with social drinking, but I would confiscate the cars and motorbikes of anyone caught driving or riding over the limit, and put them up for auction.

Also, this will be unpopular, but anyone who is obviously drunk in public, I would have them locked up for the night and fined.

I should have said drunk and "incapable" in public. A person who's voice is slightly slurred through drink does not come into that category.

• Like 1

I do recall going camping in Wales with the GF and parking up in some terrible little dry town - we couldn't believe that there were no pubs or off-licences ????

Fast-forward 40+ years (yes, I am that old), and I usually don't drink nowadays, simply because it makes me fat!  I'm happy to drink a little and happy not to - I've got no skin in the game.

As to Thailand banning booze, well that might be the quickest way to get this so-called 'government' overthrown by the common herd????

• Like 1