Government says 62,941 Thais got their first dose of vaccine in first three weeks of rollout

webfact

3pm.jpg

Government spokesman Anucha Buraphachaisri said that the vaccine rollout in Thailand was on track. 

In the period February 28th to March 19th 62,941 front line health care workers, the aged and people in high risk areas across 13 provinces got their jabs. 

These were half the supplies in the first phase of the rollout of 116,520 Sinovac and 10,000 AstraZeneca. 

Anucha said the plan was to vaccinate 60% of the Thai (adult) population or 31.5 million people.

Thailand has been criticised for its slow rollout of vaccination, notes Thaivisa. 

In one day recently the UK (a country with a similar population)  managed to vaccinate well in excess of 700,000 people. 

It took Thailand nearly three weeks to achieve less than 10% of that figure. 

Daily News made no attempt to hold the government to account for this merely reporting the government's hitherto strategy and plans for the future at face value. 

3pm1.jpg

Meanwhile polls suggest Thais are ready to open up their country to foreign tourists.

Whether they would come to a place where people have yet to be vaccinated remains highly uncertain. 

Locally produced vaccine is not expected to come on line until June at the earliest though Daily News reported that around one million doses of Sinovac and AstraZeneca are in the pipeline if not yet in the arms of recipients. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-22

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's all very well making comparisons with the UKs inoculation rate, but there's another side to the coin.

In most areas of Thailand folks are free to go about their daily lives unhindered and with very little fear that they might catch Covid. That certainly can't be said of the UK, most of Europe or the US.

There's swings and there's roundabouts. Which do you prefer?

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

30 minutes ago, Deli said:

1% of the population in 3 weeks. Fantastic job done.

Same speed as the road builders. 1 km in 3 months.

Might want to check your math there Champ.

62,941 is way less than 1% of the Thai population.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, samtam said:

Whilst you are of course correct about the severity of CV-19 in UK, (and Europe & the USA), a slow rollout of vaccination has a severe impact on the economy and the livelihood of millions of Thais, because of zero tourism. Even given the much better CV-19 environment here, I have not been to a restaurant since January 2020, and any shopping I do is for groceries. Retail shopping for me is for items that let me stay at home in comfort, (like a fridge, microwave, hifi etc). I had all these items, but replaced them. I do not spend on clothes, or only minimally. Large department stores are devoid of shoppers. Rich owners and landlords can afford this...for a while, and they would certainly have to factor in another 6 months. Great swathes of small retail outlets have closed, some permanently.

Also, whilst all economies around the world have been severely decimated, in countries such as UK, there are social security safety nets.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1210821-thailand-sees-surge-in-unemployment-and-financial-hardship-due-to-covid-19-poll/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Government spokesman Anucha Buraphachaisri said that the vaccine rollout in Thailand was on track. 

In the period February 28th to March 19th 62,941 front line health care workers, the aged and people in high risk areas across 13 provinces got their jabs.

On track !!!!!!

62,941 in 3 weeks?

UK are managing 800,000 per day

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samtam said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It's all very well making comparisons with the UKs inoculation rate, but there's another side to the coin.

In most areas of Thailand folks are free to go about their daily lives unhindered and with very little fear that they might catch Covid. That certainly can't be said of the UK, most of Europe or the US.

1 hour ago, samtam said:

Whilst you are of course correct about the severity of CV-19 in UK, (and Europe & the USA), a slow rollout of vaccination has a severe impact on the economy and the livelihood of millions of Thais, because of zero tourism. Even given the much better CV-19 environment here, I have not been to a restaurant since January 2020, and any shopping I do is for groceries. Retail shopping for me is for items that let me stay at home in comfort, (like a fridge, microwave, hifi etc). I had all these items, but replaced them. I do not spend on clothes, or only minimally. Large department stores are devoid of shoppers. Rich owners and landlords can afford this...for a while, and they would certainly have to factor in another 6 months. Great swathes of small retail outlets have closed, some permanently.

Also, whilst all economies around the world have been severely decimated, in countries such as UK, there are social security safety nets.

You make some valid points of course. But we should not overlook that the entire population does not wholly depend on the tourist industry. Beyond the essential health workers and the vulnerable folk, It would only be  necessary to inoculate those directly involved in that industry in order to get tourism moving again. And if I recall correctly they plan to prioritize that sector.

Another point is that the western countries have the luxury of vaccination production 'on the doorstep', so they are better placed to charge ahead with their programmes. (But let's see how long it lasts)

And finally it is grossly unfair to judge the performance of Thailand's programme in the first few days. They have proved themselves most adept at dealing with Covid thus far, so give them a chance to get into their stride.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Another point is that the western countries have the luxury of vaccination production 'on the doorstep', so they are better placed to charge ahead with their programmes. (But let's see how long it lasts)

Like the EU, we aren't going to use it (AZ) but were not going to let anybody have our AZ either we'll source it from the Americans. Ha.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:
9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

2 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Like the EU, we aren't going to use it (AZ) but were not going to let anybody have our AZ either we'll source it from the Americans. Ha.

Quite so, hence my comment in  parenthesis.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It is just all the crazy statements  the Government  makes that make it hard not to make fun of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

19 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Whatever happened to the reassurances that foreigners would be vaccinated on the same basis as Thais? 62,941 Thais vaccinated and (presumably) not a single foreigner.

Where in that paragraph above does it say it was Thais only that were vaccinated?

And for your information, when the registration of residents in our village who wish to be vaccinated was prepared, my name was included.